Worst confrontation while shooting in public?

People rarely confront or even approach me. However I had cameras hanging from me waiting in a very long line at Tel Aviv airport when 2 members of Mossad apparently deemed me suspicious and took me out of line for questioning that lasted about 40 minutes. After I convinced them I was a friendly they took me past that long line, past security and told them to board me first. All good.

I was told to get out of the Pittsburgh Pirates dugout....And no I wasn't suppose to be there, but can't blame a guy for trying LOL

You should have pulled out the "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? UNBELIEVABLE" line ;)

Too many examples to mention from overseas. But in the US, I was taking pictures outside of what was then Lorton Prison (it was on public ground). I was detained by the security staff, searched, and they opened my camera and intentionally exposed all of my film. I also had two separate police departments show up at my home to ask me about some pictures I took of a refinery (the Star Refinery on Pickett Road in Fairfax, VA...again, I was in public space shooting from across the street in a parking lot). They were polite but it was unexpected and it bothered my wife a lot.

Omg I'd be so freaked out. Not sure how I would handle that. :p

You should have pulled out the "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? UNBELIEVABLE" line ;)
I was down on the field, my grandma was throwing out the first pitch. So of course I had my D4 and 70-200, so I looked the part. And just started roaming off lol...That didn't last long hahaha

You'd be surprised how far a hardhat and high-vis vest will get you.

You'd be surprised how far a hardhat and high-vis vest will get you.

So so true. I was doing site reviews today at the Hamilton Port Authority for some backwater check valve installations, and I WISH I had had a good camera. As it was I stuck with just my Galaxy. But when I go back during construction, I'll make sure to take my DSLR. Some amazing shots to be had in there, and no way a civilian is getting in.

I haven't had any bad encounters, but a member of a local photographer's facebook group had a scary run-in recently. Night photography has been a trend lately, as we have a guy who is really fantastic at it and he's been having meet-ups to help people out. One of the members was at a downtown park around ten at night shooting the city gate, and someone started shouting and grabbing at his camera (while he was shooting) to "SEE IF YOU GOT PICTURES OF ME IN THERE!". He got away, thankfully, and the image he shot was actually kinda cool, LOL.

In our downtown area on weekends and the evening it is not uncommon for street performers or religo's to set up and perform or preach.

So I was walking around doing some street photography and happened upon a group of young guys in what appeared to be monk robes. Large potatoes sack looking things with their book out and doing some preaching. I am unsure of what denomination they were.

I took some pictures as I walked by and wow did they show their true selves. Starting threatening to take my camera and break it, something about treating me like a dog and such. I don't know. I wished them good luck and laughed it off. It was kinda tense though, it's a college town and all these guys were in their 20's and athletic.

So you can blast my ear with your beliefs but I can't take my camera out in public? Right....

A guy that flat out lied to my wife and I about where a pair of great horned owls and their babies were. He had a camera with a telephoto lens on it, and a video camera on a tripod directed at the tree the baby owls were in. (We had already been told by a retired fireman and the person responsible for 35 bluebird boxes in the same park, the general area).

The guy went so far as to say there were no owls, they died years ago, and tried to direct us to some owls that were over 25 miles away from the park we were standing in.

Park rangers have had to warn him to stop harassing passersby. What a jerk.

We understand his love for the owls, but instead of using it to share and teach, he chose to be an Applehole about it.

A guy that flat out lied to my wife and I about where a pair of great horned owls and their babies were. He had a camera with a telephoto lens on it, and a video camera on a tripod directed at the tree the baby owls were in. (We had already been told by a retired fireman and the person responsible for 35 bluebird boxes in the same park, the general area).

The guy went so far as to say there were no owls, they died years ago, and tried to direct us to some owls that were over 25 miles away from the park we were standing in.

We understand his love for the owls, but instead of using it to share and teach, he chose to be an Applehole about it.

Good thing park rangers were there to help.

Also, I usually cut 'holes' in my apples out. I don't like those parts.

Stuff like this really irks me. If I felt you were a threat to habitat then I would say nothing before lying. I am not the selfish type to try and keep something exclusive for myself but I have heard of Photographers moving the sliding rocks at the Racetrack Playa as to prevent anyone else from getting a picture of the same natural phenomenon.

In our downtown area on weekends and the evening it is not uncommon for street performers or religo's to set up and perform or preach.

So I was walking around doing some street photography and happened upon a group of young guys in what appeared to be monk robes. Large potatoes sack looking things with their book out and doing some preaching. I am unsure of what denomination they were.

I took some pictures as I walked by and wow did they show their true selves. Starting threatening to take my camera and break it, something about treating me like a dog and such. I don't know. I wished them good luck and laughed it off. It was kinda tense though, it's a college town and all these guys were in their 20's and athletic.

So you can blast my ear with your beliefs but I can't take my camera out in public? Right....

Gotta love Mill Ave. at night!

Way back circa 1970's I was shooting night shots of the moon downtown framing through office towers when bam this guy grabs my shoulder and jerks me away from the tripod screaming at me that I am not allowed to take pictures of his store. I had no idea who he was or where he came from. Keep in mind the camera was pointed to the sky on a tripod. When he went to grab the camera I told him if he touches me once more or my equipment I will call the police. He said he was going to call the police because I could not shoot there. I was on a public sidewalk. I said fine I will wait here. He stomped off swearing as he went and I watched what store he went to. I had not noticed his "Adult toy store" across the street from where I was shooting :). Even though the camera was not pointed in his direction just seeing a camera was enough to set him off.

Stuff like this really irks me. If I felt you were a threat to habitat then I would say nothing before lying. I am not the selfish type to try and keep something exclusive for myself but I have heard of Photographers moving the sliding rocks at the Racetrack Playa as to prevent anyone else from getting a picture of the same natural phenomenon.

Agreed! He acted as if we were teenagers carrying bb guns instead of adults carrying cameras. He also yelled at a young couple that spotted the owls. They took a few shots with their cell phone. I asked what they saw and they pointed directly to the owls. It was funny until the guy chased them down and berated them for telling us where to look.

Most reactions

Back