Would like tips re: photographing sunsets

gnGracie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We'll be going to Hawaii next month and I keep hearing about the beautiful sunsets, so I would love to get some photo tips for sunsets so I can capture the moment.

Also, I love the looks of a silhouette against the sun (i.e. taking picture facing the sun and the person in the picture is just a black silhouette). How do I get these shots?

Any other tips to make sure I capture the beauty of Hawaii would be appreciated.

TIA. :mrgreen:

Brandy

P.S. I use a Sony Alpha700.

Meter off the sky to expose properly for the pretty colours, this will not only show the sky the best but it will give you the silhouette effect to boot - some consider this a bad thing, others like it.

Tripod.

Probably won't really need one for sunsets (maybe you will though..., just depends how late it starts getting), but it will help with lots of other stuff.

Maybe just a monopod if space will be limited.

And, yeah - expose for the sky to get a silhouette.

i personally slightly underexpose when i take sunsets by one or two f stops, i feel like it makes for better colors.
experiment around when you get there!

Many sunsets make nice backgrounds but are flat looking and often lack a centre of interest. Shooting a sunset needs to be well-planned. You need a location to shoot from, which provides a foreground, perhaps a few verticals and a centre of interest. Silhouettes only work if there is nothing in the background that interferes or overlaps the form of the person or object.

skieur

check your histogram also to make sure nothing is blowing out... use the RGB one... you don't want to lose any reds...

Try to figure out where the sun will set to plan your shot. there's a very handy programs that you can dowload for free wich will show you where the sun will set or rise depending on your location and the date and tells you the exact hour. It's very easy to use it uses google map. It's call The Photographer Ephemeris.
You can also look for some filters . I just ordered a kit on ebay for about 30$...can't wait to received them!

Arive early, stay late.

Perhaps a CPL filter to help control glare off the ocean. A ND or GND for longer shutter speeds.

Wait until about 20 minutes after the sun sets before you leave.

I shoot a lot of sunsets/sunrises and a tripod is really essential. There might be enough light to get away with hand holding, but rule #1 for landscapes is sharpness. Get a solid tripod, get a way of remotely pressing your shutter, use mirror lockup, and have fun. Be sure to make certain your camera is level, and find something of interest (even if it's in
silhouette) in the foreground.

People may say that a tripod is optional, I really can't recommend taking a good, sharp sunset without one. Especially if you plan on shooting after the sun goes under the horizon.

Try to figure out where the sun will set to plan your shot. there's a very handy programs that you can dowload for free wich will show you where the sun will set or rise depending on your location and the date and tells you the exact hour. It's very easy to use it uses google map. It's call The Photographer Ephemeris.
You can also look for some filters . I just ordered a kit on ebay for about 30$...can't wait to received them!

No need for all that.
If you're coming out here to Oahu, we have a beach aptly named "sunset beach". that's your "where". As far as when, plan to be there early. Its never too early to enjoy a day at the beach while waiting for the sun to set.
If you're going to another island (or even here on Oahu) you're never more than 20min from a beach and a nice sinset shot.
I might suggest a ND filter.

gnGracie, I dont have any advice to offer you, but thanks for posing the question, I enjoyed reading all the advice and will try to put it to good use as I love sunsets too

Most reactions

New Topics

Back