Would you recommend a different camera?

Trailcamgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I hope you all are having a good day or night.

To get right to the point I have been trying to read lots of articles, reviews and forum posts considering my first camera purchase. Actually it's something I have been considering for years. I've been relying on my smartphone/note to take pictures of plants and animals.... I enjoy it allot but would like to upgrade from that.

I have somewhat settled on the Nikon D5600 as being the best fit at what I am willing to pay (as it is I will be making payments) but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Just curious if I'm headed in the right direction or if I'm missing smarter options that might be more obvious as experience is gained.

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion.

Compared to what was available a decade ago the 5600 represents an incredible value. I think it would be a fine first camera, and it has a lot of neat features such as the articulable screen on the back and the touchscreen feature. Plus extremely good image quality, and the ability to use pre-AI manual focus Nikon lenses in manual mode. These lenses are available very cheaply on the secondhand market and were made between 1959 and stopping around 1977. These are now called pre-Ai lenses. Nikon has maintained mount compatibility since roughly 1959 to the present on certain cameras, and the 5600 is one of the cameras that can use pretty much any Nikon lens ever made, with the exception of two 1960s Ultra wide-angle lenses.

Is it important to remember that within the next week or so, some of the lowest prices of the year are available due to graduation and Father's Day. A fine camera is considered one of the Classic graduation giftd and this also holds true as a Father's Day present b

You mentioned that you want to take photos of plants, and A very good thing to have for that is a long macro lens such as the older 105 mm Nikon manual focus macro lenses, which today are available pretty inexpensively. The 55 mm f/3.5 manual focus is available used in rough condition for around $35.

For photographs of plants and flowers most any Macro Lens can be used

Last edited:
The D5600 is a good mid-range starter camera.
The smaller brother, the D3500 is another option.

I think the Canon equivalent to the D5600 is the SL2 or T6.

You need to also look at the lenses. I would NOT buy most of the 2-lens kits out there, Nikon nor Canon. The reason is the 2nd longer lens in the kit usually does not have image stabilization (or Vibration Reduction (VR) in Nikon speak). You need to read the details of the kit. To me image stabilization is IMPORTANT in a long lens, making it easier to shoot without getting a blurry image from camera shake.

An option that I would do is a D5600 + 18-140 lens. I actually have a similar combo D7200 + 18-140. Note the D3500 does not have the D3500 + 18-140 combo option.
The 18-140 is a great general purpose lens, for me.
But the 18-140 is a bigger and heavier lens than the 18-55. And sometimes I've wanted a smaller and lighter lens.

The more specific you are with what you want to take pictures of, the better we can help.
For animals, what animals and from what distance?

One camera to consider might be the Nikon D 7100, which is available new still. Since it is an older model, prices have really dropped. At one time it was the $1299 camera, but now is available on the refurbished market and as brand new for around the same price as the D 5600. The biggest advantage of the D 7100 is that it has an in body focusing motor, so this will be compatible with a wide variety of automatic focusing lenses made since 1987 or so. Nikon has what to the beginner seems to be a confusing array, of compatibility issues with lenses. Suffice it to say that the 7100 is a higher level camera than the 5600, although the 5600 has its main advantage the flip screen and the touchscreen features.

Father's Day is this Sunday, so a good idea might be to look online or in your local newspaper for sales. Like I said, graduation and Father's Day have caused this to become one of the lowest price time of the year to buy a camera. Nikon does sell some cameras directly from Its USA website

Thank you,

Yes, I have been checking different sites to see if there were any significant discounts. My birthday was earlier this week but I decided to keep looking. I decided to stick with Amazon as I already have an Amazon card that allows me the option to make payments on some larger purchases without interest and without applying for anything new...I prefer having this option for this size purchase.

I did learn about the fact that the second lens is not "VR" in these Nikon bundles. I researched the pricing and other people's results using this lens with this camera as well...Considering I've been using clip on lens on my phone and it was not significantly more $ for the 2nd lens I was leaning towards getting it anyways. The 18- 140 would raise the price 250-300 dollars which I'm not sure I can swing unfortunately...though I'm sure you are right about it being better. Perhaps if I opted for a cheaper camera I could go for a better lens.

I actually was looking at the D3500 before this, going to the D5600 was sort of pushing it price wise maybe I should reconsider the D3500 again.

Screenshot_20190614-161519_Instagram.jpg

I take allot of pictures of flowers, insects and whatever is near by when I'm hiking and out checking trailcameras. Generally my phone is limited in what it can capture at a distance. I did manage a nice moon shot once with a clip on lens. I would like the ability to keep improving what I normally do and also start being able capture pics of critters that are further away. Like birds.

Hi
Given that I use canon plz translate to whatever brand you are thinking of
I would go for a used lens from a good outlet/shop I have often found going used I get more/better for a given amount. Which on a limited budget is a good thing. Ok so I am several gens behind the current latest
But if there is someone with more cash than brains who trades in there good quality lens just because it,s last years model and I can get it cheaper.well I don’t mind . Looks like you are doing your research good luck

Thank you. Yes, I'm not against buying used or renewed items. I considered buying a renewed camera to lower the cost as well or allow for an additional lens purchase.

I did learn about the fact that the second lens is not "VR" in these Nikon bundles.
Well, actually it sometimes is. Mine was. Depends on the retailer.

Since you wrote that you are o.k. with a used camera, why not consider moving up to an "enthusiast level" camera for about the same price? Take Derrel's suggestion to heart. (#4)

Unfortunately, you missed this one:

SOLD*****Nikon D7100 with 1185 shutter actuations & MB-D15 Vertical Grip

But there are others.

Well, actually it sometimes is. Mine was. Depends on the retailer.

Since you wrote that you are o.k. with a used camera, why not consider moving up to an "enthusiast level" camera for about the same price? Take Derrel's suggestion to heart. (#4)

Unfortunately, you missed this one:

SOLD*****Nikon D7100 with 1185 shutter actuations & MB-D15 Vertical Grip

But there are others.

Thanks, I was planning to make my main purchase thru Amazon. They have some renewed options but the D7100 still seems quite expensive, not their best deal I guess.

I might just stick with my mobile phone for now. It's looking like I would have to spend more then I'm willing to make the difference I'd like. Maybe next year.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll keep saving.

Well a D3500 + 18-55 would be a nice starter camera. $397
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3500-...61515&s=gateway&sprefix=nikon+,aps,220&sr=8-3
Dang, the price of the 2-lens kit is the same as the price of the 1-lens kit. In that case I would get the 2-lens kit, and think about selling the 70-300 to reduce the cost of the camera, or just use it.​
Use it for a few months. Then based on how you use it, determine what you want as a next lens, IF you want a 2nd lens. No hurry, I think on my first camera, I went a year before I got my 2nd lens. And some people have no need for another lens.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, I did notice that. Their pricing is strange sometimes but I've picked up deals before. I will definitely keep an eye out.

The D 3xxx versus D5xxx differential was always an articulated or "flippy screen" on the 5-series, versus a FIXED rear LCD on the 3-series.

The 3-series and the 5-series are low-level entry and mid-level entry. The 100,200,300 and 500 models are the semi-pro or TOP-level enthusiast models, costing $1599- $1899 or or so.

The 7000-series, D7000, D7100, D7200 have been the top-level entry cameras. There is now a D7200 and a D7500.

The 1-digit models have always been the high-end. D1,D1X,D2h,D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3s, D4, D4s, D5... these 1- digit models used to cost between $2499 and $5,000 to $7995.

In recent years, Nikon has made a series of "affordable" full-frame cameras, in ( to the best of my recall) order: the D700, the D600, the D610, the D800, theD800e,the D810,and now the D850.

The D750 was introduced as an affordable wedding/event full-frame.

Today's $349 D3400 body is only a TINY bit better sensor-wise than the D3300; between the 3300 and the 3400, as I recall, the 3300 has an external microphone jack, while the 3400 does not.

Last edited:
Flippy screen !!!!
If you are shooing in the wild, a flippy screen will let you take LOW angle shots without having to lay down in the mud.
That was the one thing that I do not like about the D7200, fixed rear screen.
But the importance of this feature, depends on whether you will use it or not. If not, then the flippy screen has no value.

The flip out screen did look cool. I would probably use it actually but I'm not really sure it's a necessity for me if it was the main reason for a significant price difference.

Perhaps I was hoping for a bit too much in my price range but I will have to wait if I want to increase my budget a bit more. Lots of information to take in but I will keep considering my options.

Most reactions

Back