Would you recommend a different camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Trailcamgirl, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Trailcamgirl

Trailcamgirl TPF Noob!

Yes, it does sound a little confusing at first but I'm slowly getting more familiar with everything and that sounds great. Thanks for all the helpful info! I'm happy I will have allot of options to explore.

2. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You "may" have to get a new battery. That battery if probably pretty old, and may not hold a long charge.
    Charge it up and see how much you can shoot. If you are lucky it will still hold a decent charge.
    Although if you go on a long hike, you probably want to bring a spare battery.

Now go play with the camera, and have fun :)

3. Trailcamgirl

Trailcamgirl TPF Noob!

That's a good point. Maybe I should go ahead and get a 2nd battery now, either way it wouldn't hurt to have a spare on hand.

I did opt for free shipping so it's going to take a little time to get here but I certainly will once it arrives!

4. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With a used batteries, you don't know the condition of it.
    There "might" be a battery status screen in the menu of your camera, to see the condition of the battery.
    On my Nikon it is >menu>wrench>battery info.

A good battery in a dSLR will last quite a while. I normally get a full weekend on one charge, no flash used.
    On my D7200, I did not switch to my spare battery until a few years later, after I think I wore out my 1st battery from a LOT of use.
    I never did wear out the battery on my D70. But I did not shoot it as much as the D7200.

Label the batteries #1 and #2.
    So you can keep track of which is the old and new battery.

Download and read the manual, so you have a head start on learning the camera, before it arrives.

5. JonFZ300

JonFZ300 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My first DSLR was the D40, which is kind of the little brother/sister to the D40x. I think you'll love it. I know I really enjoyed mine. I only have a bridge camera nowadays and I'm good with it but I do miss my D40 sometimes. Congrats! You've made a solid choice.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a Nikon D2x brand new on May 3, 2005....the battery STILL works!!! Genuine Nikon batteries are very good, and genuine Nikon chargers have sophisticate battery charging and checking and refreshing routines that prolong the life of batteries. There is a real REASON that Nikon's batteries and chargers cost substantially MORE that cheapies Made in China...

However, aftermarket batteries that cost $7.99 or $14 and last two years...not a bad deal.

>menu>wrench>battery info.

**Shows # of shots taken, percent of battery charge left, and battery age, with hashmarks that show a NEW battery (left-most) and one that you need to "REPLACE" (right-most status). When this was introduced in the early to mid-2000's, it was a BIG step up in battery technology and user confidence.

The D2x had perhaps the biggest, best battery life Nikon has ever released, and the after the lithium-ion fire paranoia, the Japanese camera industry deliberately cut batteries BACK in capacity, over mainly, airline fire concerns.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  7. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sorry I didn't get to read the entire thread (I quit about page 3 where you made this statement) so I may be repeating something someone has already said.

Going from taking pictures with a phone to taking pictures with an actual camera involves much more than money - although there is that.
    When you decide to take real pictures, you are embarking on a huge learning course and investment of time in both taking and editing photos.
    It is the conceptual equivalent of being an aunt in comparison to actually having one's own child to take care of.

11 Tips for Beginning Photographers - How to Start Taking Pictures

Shooting in P mode & Why photographers defend their methods

8. Trailcamgirl

Trailcamgirl TPF Noob!

Thanks, I'll get a spare battery and yes I thought reading the manual was a good idea too.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

Awesome information. Thank you!

Thanks! I'll check out the articles after work...definitely been reading allot, more never hurts. I didn't go into my whole history as taking pictures started when I was a little girl. I've had experience other then my phone and no worries, I don't expect it to be like my mobile. I understand there is a difference and am ready to learn more.

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    good articles. i like point 11 a lot, and the thread Lew linked to got 18 pages (1,200) of responses here on TPF, back in 2012.

Biggest differences between a d-slr and a phone:

1) less DOF with a d-slr. A phone has deeeeeeeep DOF!
    2) sensor spots at small f/stops on a d-slr

3) phone--arms outstretched framing n shooting
    d-slr--offers thru-camera eyepiece viewing OR live view

4) phone is now almost invisible as a camera, while d-slr arouses more wariness among many people

10. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    yes, some differences and a spare battery never hurts
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

11. NnamAries

NnamAries TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow! Taking pictures with of living organisms show that you love nature. The aspect of photography that intrigues me the most is real estate photography. I often find information on the best visa consultancy service so as to travel across different continent and take landscape photos of real estate.

12. Trailcamgirl

Trailcamgirl TPF Noob!

Hello everyone,

I got my camera. I just had a chance to take some quick pictures today. I had watched some videos on basics in settings so went outside and started clicking in my backyard...I tried pretty much every mode including M mode, just playing around and seeing what the results were. They were not good... blaming my inexperience and not the camera itself. There's heaps of room for improvement. :p I definitely will be practicing allot more to achieve pictures I'm happy with...All in all I think this was definitely a great choice for me to get started with. I'm having allot of fun and that's the main thing. :D

Here are some of my very first photos, including my best friend Cypress (the dog :D).

Just wanted to say thanks again for helping me get started, I will improve in time. Happy with my decision.

cypressthebestestbabyboydogever.jpg bugswillruletheworld.jpg prettyflowerwillyousitandtalktomeforhours.jpg ohthesunthelightimmelting.jpg duckiespleasedontmovewhileitrytofigureouthowtotakeapicturety.jpg duckiescomebackiloveyou.jpg

• Like Like x 2