Would you recommend a different camera?

If you'e buying used, check out Nikon's refurbished store online, Adorama, B&H Photo, Cameta Camera. I have used all 4 of these successfully to buy used equipment. I believe Adorama sells on Amazon as well if you are still looking to use your Amazon charge.

Excellent commentary and insight from ac12.

I saw a Nikon D40 with 18-55 kit zoom, battery, and charger the other day... $75 for the kit...looked clean...

I think that would be great to get started with while I'm contemplating and watching for deals on a larger investment. I will definitely keep an eye out for something similar!

Cameras that are three or four or even five generations behind the current 2019 models are often available at extremely low prices. For example the Nikon D3X was pretty much phased out sales wise by the Nikon D800 followed by the D810 and now the D850.earlier this week I was browsing the pro photo supply used camera listings, and I saw a D3X list for $875 which is less than the $1175 Price that they were asking last summer. When introduced in 2009, the D3X was priced at almost $8000. I bought a used one in 2012 for $2800, which was an exceptional value, since the typical Used price at that time was around $4400. I sold the camera at the start of 2017 for around about half of what I paid for it, after having used it for about five years. So, you can see buying used cameras can save you a lot of money.The Nikon D40 outfit for $75 was about $1000 around Christmas time of 2006

Yes, I've been trying to look out for deals but haven't really seen anything that great.

I see I'm very late to the party but here goes...

As has been pointed out, both Nikon and Cannon have plenty to choose from and you can't go wrong with either. I'm sure the same could be said for any of the other major manufacturers.

I would also recommend starting off simple and cheap. If you want to pursue photography further, you'll wind up upgrading your stuff at some point anyway. and if you don't, you didn't make a big investment. I'm willing to bet you can do just as good learning on an old D40 as on something much newer. I've had good luck buying used equipment on both eBay and Craigslist.

Welcome to the party.

Thanks for the input. Yes, photography isn't a recent a whim... It's what I dreamed of doing as a child.. I just didn't see it as a practical pursuit for me career wise.. Whatever I get will certainly get alot of use for years to come, It's not something I would get tired of. I do like the idea of getting something used and cheap while I keep an eye out for deals on a larger investment. The last camera I had was a very used p&s given to me with all the rubber buttons missing. If I see a good deal on an older camera, I'll definitely go for it..

Actually I just purchased a used Nikon D40x, charger, battery.... with 18-70mm lens. Little under $100.00. Just have to wait for it to get here and hopefully everything is in working order as it's suppose to be.. Think I was just ready to get something after looking so long and after allot of reading it seemed like a reasonable albiet modest start. I still would like to make a larger, newer purchase later on but I'm thinking this will keep me occupied in the meantime.

Thanks again everyone.

Good for you.
The D40 was my 1st DSLR. I had tons of fun, took zillion pictures, and realized I was hooked. Sold it and bought a D90. Sold it and bought a D7000. Bought a used D3...then another. And I just got a used D4 and have been having lots of fun. The D3's are being sold to finance the D4. I also moved up from the kit lenses over the years and have some nice stuff, most acquired used.

Thank you!

Yes, that was my next step actually to research lenses more... I have some basic knowledge from all this reading but I want to understand further how the compatibility works from older to newer cameras etc. I'm totally up for buying additional used lenses, especially if I could also pair them with an upgrade in the future.

Actually I just purchased a used Nikon D40x, charger, battery.... with 18-70mm lens. Little under $100.00. Just have to wait for it to get here and hopefully everything is in working order as it's suppose to be.. Think I was just ready to get something after looking so long and after allot of reading it seemed like a reasonable albiet modest start. I still would like to make a larger, newer purchase later on but I'm thinking this will keep me occupied in the meantime.

Thanks again everyone.

D40x..10 megapixel.. light, and with the highly desirable 18-70mm zoom, not the cheaper, more-common 18-55, SCORE!

Woot! I'm excited, I think it's a fine start and I'm looking forward to learning more with it.

Yes, that was my next step actually to research lenses more... I have some basic knowledge from all this reading but I want to understand further how the compatibility works from older to newer cameras etc. I'm totally up for buying additional used lenses, especially if I could also pair them with an upgrade in the future.
Fortunately, the Nikon "F" mount has been the same for a long time, so there are many excellent lenses on the used market that will mount on your camera.

Consult your user's manual for a chart of lens compatibility.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back