X-E2 with 18-55, 35, and 12mm. Grab a 23mm or X100F?

dasminimalist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys,

Trying to decide whether to get the 23mm prime or the X100f for my next purchase.

I mostly do travel, landscapes, and street photography, but I do want to jump into portraits and weddings eventually so that I could make a living out of photography.

Would this be a good investment? I do feel that my X-E2 is starting to get outdated, but it does the job very well. Should I rather sell the X-E2 and get a better body if I want to make profit out of it?

I don't think any combination would be a "good investment", but any of them could add to your enjoyment of photography. I think the X100f has a 35mm lens, so you are not adding a focal length to your bag with that option (but a second camera is good to have). I like the 23mm f/1.4 option, although I would like something longer in the bag like the 90mm f/2 before I added a lens already covered by the zoom.

Gotcha, so 23mm f/1.4 might not be the best choice of lens to go then.

How about this, if you had a X100f, by the way it's 23mm f/2, what lens would you get other than the 18-55?

The X100 line of course has a 23mm lens, which is the equivalent to a 35mm lens on full frame. I would prefer a X100 over a 23mm lens, due to the new possibilities of this combo and due to having a 35mm equiv ready at all times, but of course its also more to carry. The new XF10 should be mentioned as well.

The reason one might upgrade from the X-E2 is the relatively slow autofocus, compared to more current generations.

If the options are strictly x100f or 23mm for your x-e2, I would get the x100f. If you're looking for other suggestions, I would trade in the xe2 and pick up a used xt2. They are priced very sweet right now and you could still have some left over for another lens. You have wide angle through 55mm covered. You need something long. I like the Fuji 50-230. It's lightweight, cheap and sharp and takes nice portraits at the long end. Great for outdoor shooting, not great in low light but so affordable. Or a used 90mm f/2 - a great portrait lens. Definitely look into used/refurbished to stretch your dollars. Your avatar doesn't say where you live but if you are in the US, check out Fuji USA Buy/Swap/Sell Facebook group. Lots of good deals there direct with other photographers so cutting out the middle man.

I would get a X100F. Reasons...

Leaf shutter, excellent for flash photography.

Optional Tele Conversion Lens TCL-X100II. Turns your 23 to 50

Another vote for an X100F or X100T if you can find a new one. It's a great all-rounder. The hybrid viewfinder is killer, too. If you get one, the TCL-X100 conversion lens is identical to the newer II model with the exception of a magnet that automatically tells the body it's there; otherwise it's a quick toggle on the menu with the older version. No image compromise I've been able to see. The X100 series is an excellent street camera and as big as I care to use for that kind of shooting. The little Ricoh GR/GR II is another possible option for street.

The X100 line of course has a 23mm lens, which is the equivalent to a 35mm lens on full frame. I would prefer a X100 over a 23mm lens, due to the new possibilities of this combo and due to having a 35mm equiv ready at all times, but of course its also more to carry. The new XF10 should be mentioned as well.

The reason one might upgrade from the X-E2 is the relatively slow autofocus, compared to more current generations.
Thanks for that, I looked into the XF10 but the lack of viewfinder and the extra stop missing does bother me a little bit. I am glad you mentioned the autofocus, but now that I think about it other than the slow autofocus I am quite content with the X-E2.

If the options are strictly x100f or 23mm for your x-e2, I would get the x100f. If you're looking for other suggestions, I would trade in the xe2 and pick up a used xt2. They are priced very sweet right now and you could still have some left over for another lens. You have wide angle through 55mm covered. You need something long. I like the Fuji 50-230. It's lightweight, cheap and sharp and takes nice portraits at the long end. Great for outdoor shooting, not great in low light but so affordable. Or a used 90mm f/2 - a great portrait lens. Definitely look into used/refurbished to stretch your dollars. Your avatar doesn't say where you live but if you are in the US, check out Fuji USA Buy/Swap/Sell Facebook group. Lots of good deals there direct with other photographers so cutting out the middle man.
I would want to trade in my XE2, but it has scratches all over the body so I don't think I would be able to sell it for a high enough price to justify the sell. I was also thinking of 90mm or 50mm as well, as the 18-55 is pretty weak in a low light condition. And thanks for recommending the FB group! I just joined.

Another vote for an X100F or X100T if you can find a new one. It's a great all-rounder. The hybrid viewfinder is killer, too. If you get one, the TCL-X100 conversion lens is identical to the newer II model with the exception of a magnet that automatically tells the body it's there; otherwise it's a quick toggle on the menu with the older version. No image compromise I've been able to see. The X100 series is an excellent street camera and as big as I care to use for that kind of shooting. The little Ricoh GR/GR II is another possible option for street.
X100T sounds like a good option too. Seems like used ones go for about $700?

Thanks for that, I looked into the XF10 but the lack of viewfinder and the extra stop missing does bother me a little bit. I am glad you mentioned the autofocus, but now that I think about it other than the slow autofocus I am quite content with the X-E2.

I would want to trade in my XE2, but it has scratches all over the body so I don't think I would be able to sell it for a high enough price to justify the sell. I was also thinking of 90mm or 50mm as well, as the 18-55 is pretty weak in a low light condition. And thanks for recommending the FB group! I just joined.

X100T sounds like a good option too. Seems like used ones go for about $700?

I'd hunt around for a new X100T and haggle down the price. Even if it's a few bucks more than used, the warranty and peace of mind that buys are worth it.

I've owned the X100S and I loved it. Even though I've also owned a 23mm with the XE2,XP1,XT1,XP2,XT2. The X100 series is so simple and easy, just grab and run. With interchangeable lens cameras you always think about bringing additional lenses ... but with the X100 series ... no such thoughts. When the door hits your butt on the way out ... that's it. No second guessing about this or that. I found the X100 made me focus on the image not the hardware. You want to get tight, get moving ... you want to get wide ... start backing up. It is harder to be creative with just one lens, consequently it gets those creative juices flowing. Yeah, you can do the same thing with a 23mm on a different body ... but mentally it is easier with a sexy X100 series around your neck.

Thanks for that, I looked into the XF10 but the lack of viewfinder and the extra stop missing does bother me a little bit.
Oh, sorry about that. Thats why I said "should be mentioned" (I meant for completeness), not "should be recommented".

The XF10 is a tiny little beast. The thing I'm missing dearly is a flash hotshoe. The lack of a viewfinder not so much, I dont need a viewfinder on such a camera thats supposed to be pocketable.

If the XF10 had a flash hotshoe, I'd pick one up. My Ricoh GR is dying, after all, and Ricoh has decided to move the GR3 now in a direction I dont care for (less controls, sensor size image stabilization while handholding the GR is a nonissue, etc).

Go for the X100F, it`s a cracking little camera and with the right person behind it will take some stunning images. I love mine and so glad I got it, goes in my pocket fine so whenever I`m out it comes with me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back