YADF - Yet Another Danged Flower

Mauravdl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not actually sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it's a weed:) It was growing in my friend's backyard while I was wandering around with my new 7D, a 50mm prime and extension tubes yesterday.

I'm trying the sink-or-swim method of learning exposure and set everything (including the focus) to manual. For someone fumbling around, I sorta like it's extremely short DOF and fuzzy nature beyond the one flower part I was using to focus.

I'm starting to think I need to change light metering to center or spot instead of all over evaluative for these flower subjects, though. I'm still getting some overexposure.

975987909_oxdVT-L.jpg

7D
50mm f/1.8
12mm extension tube
f/1.8
1/320 shutter
ISO 200

Interesting capture - I think a little more DoF wouldn't have hurt, but it's neat as-is. For situations like this, either spot or centre-weighted metering are probably better options.

It is neat as it is,..however,...being that soft and fuzzy from the non existent DOF,....... makes it look delicous.:thumbsup:

Interesting capture - I think a little more DoF wouldn't have hurt, but it's neat as-is. For situations like this, either spot or centre-weighted metering are probably better options.

I think I'll try center-weighted next, especially with these relatively high-contrast shots.

It's proving quite interesting to try something and analyze what I got and why I liked (or didn't like) it. I was pleased to have more than half keepers of the only 20 shots or so I took, considering I'm darned near as green as the grass. I didn't want to clutter up the forums with lots of Danged Flowers so stuck to the one really interesting one I got :)

Thanks so much for your feedback, TiredIron!

I'm curious - is that chromatic aberration or is it just a matter of being a little out of focus and soft?

Interesting flower nonetheless. I find some wildflowers and "weeds" fascinating.

I'm curious - is that chromatic aberration or is it just a matter of being a little out of focus and soft?

Interesting flower nonetheless. I find some wildflowers and "weeds" fascinating.

I think it's just the softness and tiny bit out of focus but, hey, I'm guessing :)

I like a lot of wildflowers and weeds. This one's structure attracted me (and the deer hadn't eaten this one flower off it yet. They gnawed all the rest off - so obviously whatever it is, it is something deer like to eat.

I like this! It's almost kinda trippy in a calm sort of a way? (Yea, that probably made no sense.)

I think it's really pretty

Thanks for the kind words - I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought it was sorta cool!

(and I did get the "trippy in a calm sort of way" - perfect description)!

- Maura

Hi Maura,

The flower is vetch (probably crown vetch).

Now I want to change the subject. You mention the sink or swim use of manual to learn exposure -- but you're using the camera's internal meter. You have a Canon 7d which will operate in either Tv or Av modes. If you're going to rely on the camera's internal meter then it makes no sense to use full manual instead of Tv or Av modes. Full manual only makes sense if you're determining exposure with an external meter or a method that does not rely on the camera.

In fact it does make sense to use TV and/or Av rather than full manual because you can work faster and the camera will be more accurate. You retain the same degree of control and if you decide to alter the exposure you have the exp. comp. wheel directly under your right thumb.

For example: You set the shutter speed manually to 1/250 sec. and then adjust the f/stop until the camera meter reads 0. Let's say the f/stop then is f/13. You took time to make the f/stop adjustment and zero the meter. In Tv mode for the same scene you could set the shutter speed to 1/250 sec. and the camera would immediately set the f/stop to f/13. You get the same photo faster and you still have the ability to monitor the camera and intervene (exp. comp.) if you think it's warranted. Using Tv mode produces the same result more quickly and efficiently.

Joe

Most reactions

Back