What's new

(yawn) Nikon's new products announcement

The terrible crop factor has been known for a while. Now we know they are also plain ugly and lack manual controls (or have them deep in the menus). The specs are much worse than any m4/3, nex or samsung camera. Not really a good start.
 
hmmm as boring as this announcement is, I mean seriously Nikon has been boring me for awhile now in some respects. Canon and Nikon seem to be stuck firmly behind the other innovators at the moment. No new DSLR's still by the look of it? When an upgrade is getting long overdue. Specially as Nikon need to catch up Canon in terms of Video.

This new cam though could actually be interesting, I have decided my compact is a piece of noise ridden junk. If this means I can have a decent camera that actually fits in my pocket and produces some half decent IQ, then it has my support. This could truly be a compact replacement, whereas M43 and NEX cameras are still to big to be pocketable. I think if Nikon does pull this off (which is still questionable), they will be given alot of credit for thinking outside of the box and not just copying everyone else.
 
Well I said that untill I saw the price!!!!!! Have Nikon gone mad? The price is way over the NEX models, when the NEX models provide better IQ.
 
Well I said that untill I saw the price!!!!!! Have Nikon gone mad? The price is way over the NEX models, when the NEX models provide better IQ.

I don't understand either. Seems they dedicated this new line-up only to the die hard Nikon fans, instead of targeting the competition. It will be interesting to see what the critics say and Nikon's penetration rates into this market.
 
I was right there with you and scoffed at the idea when I heard about it, but I really think it could be something interesting. The 2.7x crop factor is a bit overboard, but I think 10mp makes it able to get fairly good IQ, even in fairly low light. Will it be a DSLR replacement? No. But could it be a compact or camcorder replacement? I definitely think so. This could be interesting in the world of Macro and wildlife when combined with F-mount lenses like the 300/2.8 or similar. That's an incredible range, never thought of before at f/2.8. And even macro. Even attaching nikons 40mm micro on the lens would give you a respectable working distance at 1:1, and room to move up to 2.7:1 with good DOF given by the crop factor. I know all of this goes against the compact idea, but i could definitely see it being worked into the bag of a super-involved DSLR shooter. The video could be good as well. Especially because it can get 400fps and the v1 has a stereo input. With all that said, I can kind of see potential for this camera, the next batch of 1 lenses, and the next batch of 1 cameras (2?).

Mark

PS. I agree. The price is outrageous. But think of it this way. If you were going to buy a long prime, you'd pay much, much more than just attaching this 2.7x TC to the end of your lens. :)
 
I yawned because I'm looking for the D700 replacement
bigthumb.gif
 
So, what's the benefit here?
 
The new V1 model of the Nikon mirrorless has all the style and panache of an International Harvester Scout from the 1970's!! Heck, I'd go so far as to say it's even sexier than the International Harvester line of hay balers!!! And that's sayin' somethin'!!!

For those who have never seen a Scout, here's a page full of links to photos of the Scout. Sexy beast that it was!
International-Harvester + Scout - Google Search
 
Specially as Nikon need to catch up Canon in terms of Video.
By the same token, Canon needs to catch up to Nikon in terms of still photography.

The new V1 model of the Nikon mirrorless has all the style and panache of an International Harvester Scout from the 1970's!! Heck, I'd go so far as to say it's even sexier than the International Harvester line of hay balers!!! And that's sayin' somethin'!!!

For those who have never seen a Scout, here's a page full of links to photos of the Scout. Sexy beast that it was!
International-Harvester + Scout - Google Search

bigthumb.gif
 
Nikon epic fail

Sony still ahead by two lenths....
 
no d800 no care.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom