What's new

years

It is beautiful. You have a good eye. Those hands are full of stories and life
I took a few shots of her hands, I composed them differently and I'm going to process them differently... I think this one is the strongest though.
Time is unforgiving isn't it?! You made me think about it there Maria and I thank you for that :)

What a great shot!
Time is really unforgiving... One of the parts of the human body that can't hide the age are hands. I find them fascinating for that reason.

I might make it slightly less honest and Photoshop out the newfangled zipper. Or at least the reflection.
:) I was thinking about that reflection in a sense that it added some kind of a small sparkle in the scene
 
oh... and just to say this also...

I sent this link last night to my sister in law saying how I was gossiping about her here (I was having some problems with internet so I couldn't reply last night) ...
She said: Yeah, yeah, I read what everyone said but I just don't like it and I don't see what they see in this picture.. I told her: Never mind, I'm glad you're being honest :)

Thank you all for your comments!
 
Well done, maria!
I absolutely love taking pictures of old people--especially their hands, and their eyes. There is something about those wrinkles, and the toughened, yet sometimes paper-thin fragility of the skin that just draws me in and makes me reflect on all the stories that might be contained in those wrinkles!
 
well... you could at least hit the like button also :048:
:lol: my bad, I thought I already did! :345:
She said: Yeah, yeah, I read what everyone said but I just don't like it and I don't see what they see in this picture..
Here's what I think.. In my experience, photographers tend to see any photograph with a different eye (or workflow) than a non-photographer, there are exceptions of course. I've noticed that sometimes people on my photography page comment on something saying it's spectacular, when I know that it's an average one at it's best; on a few good photographs (by good I mean TPF approved :p) I've seen people comment negatively as well. As far as I can tell, we tend to look & analyze a photograph in parts and then as a whole, whereas for the non-photographers the events are usually mutually exclusive.. All this might just be mindless blabber for all I know! :801:
 
Well done, maria!
I absolutely love taking pictures of old people--especially their hands, and their eyes. There is something about those wrinkles, and the toughened, yet sometimes paper-thin fragility of the skin that just draws me in and makes me reflect on all the stories that might be contained in those wrinkles!
You described it very well Sharon (of course you would) :)

I like taking pictures of old people. It's truly amazing how differently people are aging, how they skin looks different. They all have that paper-thin skin but the color of the skin, it's health state is different. One doesn't pay much attention to it until it really starts to analyze them.

Speaking of the eyes... I took a portrait of this women, she has Alzheimer. She's looking straight to me and the picture is not pleasant at all, if I can say it this way. I have troubles with editing it in a sense that I'm taking it too emotionally and can't be objective while looking at it. It just says too much.
 
well... you could at least hit the like button also :048:
:lol: my bad, I thought I already did! :345:
and everything is just fine now ;)

She said: Yeah, yeah, I read what everyone said but I just don't like it and I don't see what they see in this picture..
Here's what I think.. In my experience, photographers tend to see any photograph with a different eye (or workflow) than a non-photographer, there are exceptions of course. I've noticed that sometimes people on my photography page comment on something saying it's spectacular, when I know that it's an average one at it's best; on a few good photographs (by good I mean TPF approved :p) I've seen people comment negatively as well. As far as I can tell, we tend to look & analyze a photograph in parts and then as a whole, whereas for the non-photographers the events are usually mutually exclusive.. All this might just be mindless blabber for all I know! :801:
yeah...
This whole situation with her not liking it is amusing to me, really, I told her that in a sense I'm glad she didn't like something I did. She told me "it's just too dark, too gloomy and heavy... I don't like it"
I told her that with saying all of that she actually gave me a compliment :) she didn't get it...

well... I'm perfectly aware that everyone wouldn't like it :)
 
That's a pretty powerful image. It makes me feel something and that makes it a success.

I think it helps that I cannot see her face. It makes it easier to imagine that being my hand some day.
 
Hi Maria,

Just adding my voice to the chorus of "great shot" comments.

This one speaks to me.

Desi
 
That's a pretty powerful image. It makes me feel something and that makes it a success.
I think it helps that I cannot see her face. It makes it easier to imagine that being my hand some day.
Thanks for taking the time to write me your thoughts ;)

Hi Maria,

Just adding my voice to the chorus of "great shot" comments.

This one speaks to me.

Desi
Desi, I'm glad you said something. Thank you!
 
Yes. You have conveyed the "years" very well. It's the reality for those of us who will have lived that long. My 93-year old mother hates me taking pictures of her - she sees the wrinkles and the spots and the infirm skin. I see the hands that fed us, looked after us, wiped away our tears, and helped us cross multiple thresh-holds of life. In her hands, I see power of perseverance, of kindness, of hard work, and of patience. I see beauty. Thank you Marija - another memorable and powerful image.
 
I'd try a square format just to see what happens.
I think I've never done a square format :)

Yes. You have conveyed the "years" very well. It's the reality for those of us who will have lived that long. My 93-year old mother hates me taking pictures of her - she sees the wrinkles and the spots and the infirm skin. I see the hands that fed us, looked after us, wiped away our tears, and helped us cross multiple thresh-holds of life. In her hands, I see power of perseverance, of kindness, of hard work, and of patience. I see beauty.
This woman has 86 years and she didn't mind me at all.

Thank you Marija - another memorable and powerful image.
I always like when you talk Paul....and thank you for your kind words, I'm sure I didn't deserve them :)

Very, very nice capture.
very very nice of you for saying it :)
 
Provocative shot. Well done. Well received . Ed
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom