Yikes! 19 years old willing to be a professional photographer!

Rafidc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey you all,

I though it would be great to share with you my burning desires to become a professional photographer, I am 19 years old (as a matter of fact 20 tomorrow!!), I am from Quebec Canada and I really enjoy photography. You might relate with me that having a camera, changes your relationship with the world, you start to be a philosopher in a way. For my part, it has been a determining factor for why I am currently writing a philosophy thesis on the suggestive subjectivism of a photograph, the effect it has on the viewer. Maybe photography only a sensational game? But I think we can all be "d'accord" that the way you tell a story as a successful photographer, is the way people will see the world, therefore, being able to canalize and focalize your photographs on the essential, trying to say what has to be said is a great way to get your message threw. Anyways, I might make an ebook for all of you people out there to help you understand the communicative power that can contain a photographs, therefore helping you to master it. (I am open to comments and suggestions)

Anyways, I have recently made a video that compiles some of my best photographs up to date, I hope you enjoy

It would be great if I could receive feedback from you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings, Rafidc, and welcome to the forum!

I think photographers, generally speaking, already have some idea of the ability of photography to affect the viewer's opinion. The type of photography that is most effective at this is journalistic photography. Kind of a misnomer, IMO because when I think of journalism, I think mostly of recording, or reporting, not necessarily shaping opinions, but that is how journalism has digressed.

Good luck with your studies!

Want feedback on your photos? Post them here.. 2 or 3 at a time, and numbered for reference, please. We would be happy check them out that way!

"
icon4.png
Yikes! 19 years old willing to be a professional photographer! "

There's plenty of kids/young adults "willing" to be a "professional photographer". Your video shows images that are mostly dark and dreary, and overfiltered as well. You seem to have an ok eye for composition. There's nothing wrong with taking photos as a hobby. You don't have to get all "I have a PASSION and a LOVE for photography, so I want to take images of people's dogs for money!!!" and all that.

The copy/past stuff, variety of fonts in the OP is interesting.

I get the impression the post's main purpose is to promote subscriptions to the OP's YouTube channel.

Most professional photographers are stuck photographing babies and basic portraits for money. They get out of bed in the morning bored and drained. They rarely get to do anything creative and make a pretty poor living for their effort. To succeed (financially) as a photographer these days you need business and sales skills first and foremost. To succeed (creatively) as a photographer you need to be able to make enough money to live and still have time to experiment, grow, learn, experience and create.

You're 19. If you're serious about going Pro, go work for a photographer in your breaks from studying; learn how the business really work. Realise that you have to be hell of a talent and had a fair degree of motivation, tenacity and luck to make a good wage in photography.

If I had my live over, I'd study a subject that would give me a good job and a good standard of living - then be a photographer in my spare time. The arts colleges are turning over hundreds of photographers every year - people who have studied both photography and business. You're going to need more than passion and desire to make a living.

The issue is that everyone has access to the technology needed to take pretty good photos. A typical customer can't see much of a difference between what you do and what they cando themselves - they aren't aestetically educated enough. (That's why really bad pros can make a very good living - they are sales people with cameras).

I admire your aspiration - but I respectfully suggest that you need to know more about the reality of being a professional photographer before you make a career choice.

"
icon4.png
Yikes! 19 years old willing to be a professional photographer! "

There's plenty of kids/young adults "willing" to be a "professional photographer". Your video shows images that are mostly dark and dreary, and overfiltered as well. You seem to have an ok eye for composition. There's nothing wrong with taking photos as a hobby. You don't have to get all "I have a PASSION and a LOVE for photography, so I want to take images of people's dogs for money!!!" and all that.

But, on the flip side, why not?

as much as a willingness to be a pro photographer is good, the willingness to be a good businessman is even better.
also, welcome to the forum.

Welcome aboard.

Hey you all,

I though it would be great to share with you my burning desires to become a professional photographer, I am 19 years old (as a matter of fact 20 tomorrow!!), I am from Quebec Canada and I really enjoy photography. You might relate with me that having a camera, changes your relationship with the world, you start to be a philosopher in a way. For my part, it has been a determining factor for why I am currently writing a philosophy thesis on the suggestive subjectivism of a photograph, the effect it has on the viewer. Maybe photography only a sensational game? But I think we can all be "d'accord" that the way you tell a story as a successful photographer, is the way people will see the world, therefore, being able to canalize and focalize your photographs on the essential, trying to say what has to be said is a great way to get your message threw. Anyways, I might make an ebook for all of you people out there to help you understand the communicative power that can contain a photographs, therefore helping you to master it. (I am open to comments and suggestions)

Anyways, I have recently made a video that compiles some of my best photographs up to date, in the event you decide to share it with your friends, it will be with an immense pleasure, I could also share your page on my twitter account!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRoUgcXOFU

It would be great if I could receive feedback from you!

I remember being nineteen too, once.

If I had my live over, I'd study a subject that would give me a good job and a good standard of living - then be a photographer in my spare time. The arts colleges are turning over hundreds of photographers every year - people who have studied both photography and business. You're going to need more than passion and desire to make a living.

Good advice!

I self financed (no loans) my studies a field of engineering that guaranteed good employment. Used the money to dabble in my hobbies and passions and provide an affluent lifestyle for my family. Worked my degree for 25 years and retired at 50.

Get a decent education in a valued field and then use the money to play.

Boy, I don't know where this idea stems from that being a "professional photographer" is glorious and easy. It isn't.

It is poor form to join a forum with your first post plugging your own work on an external site. But I was curious enough to look at your Youtube video.

I have mixed feelings-- your work is very much all over the spectrum. You have a handful of shots with poor execution, a handful with good execution, and a whole bunch in the middle.

So you're "willing to become a professional photographer"? Who isn't? I mean, the very way that is phrased is going to shoot up red flags for most of us who have seen this same thing time and time again. it seems a lot of people that come to this forum are more than "willing" to become pro. But what they often don't realize is there's so much more to it than being "willing".

My advice, take it or leave it: post your best shots here in our galleries and get feedback. Learn from it. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Boy, I don't know where this idea stems from that being a "professional photographer" is glorious and easy. It isn't.

Did someone say it is?

So you're "willing to become a professional photographer"? Who isn't? I mean, the very way that is phrased is going to shoot up red flags for most of us who have seen this same thing time and time again. it seems a lot of people that come to this forum are more than "willing" to become pro. But what they often don't realize is there's so much more to it than being "willing".

The kid's from Switzerland. I'd be willing to bet that there's a bit of a language barrier at play here, and that what he meant to suggest is that he wants to be a pro as opposed to being willing to be a pro...

I am from Quebec Canada

Not QUITE Switzerland, but maybe "close"? ;)

He hasn't come back since yesterday to read your replies and comment on what you said, which kind of shows HOW deeply interested he is in hearing what you have to say. I tend to believe that the main purpose was to promote clicks to his youtube-video...

Most reactions

Back