Yongnuo Triggers Quit Working...

JohnnyWrench

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using the Yongnuo YN-622N-TX flask controller with the YN-622N transceivers for a while now with no issues... until last night. There's a light on the transceivers by the hot shoe that's usually green. Well last night it turned red and they wouldn't fire. I have 2 of them and they both quit working. I tried changing batteries, changing flashes, turning on and off, nothing worked. The controller was set to manual so I could adjust the output of the flashes and the flashes (SB-600 and SB-700) were set to TTL. Why TTL? Because that's how they need to be set in order for the manual adjustments on the flash controller to affect the output on the flash units. The instructions with these things are terrible and I came upon that setup through trial and error and it's worked for almost two years now... Until last night. Can anyone help? Or does the red light mean "these are shot, buy new ones."

I also tried this on 2 different cameras. A D700 and D750. These have worked flawlessly on both in the past.

Not sure what a dip switch is but they do have 3 available channels. Channel one was selected across the board. Could that one channel have gone bad? That's the one I always use. Didn't think about switching everything to channel 2 or 3.

"dip" switches are an array of 5 little switches with either a '0' or a '1' setting for assigning channels, etc. Sounds like these are a little more sophisticated. Have you tried searching for the meaning of the red light?

"dip" switches are an array of 5 little switches with either a '0' or a '1' setting for assigning channels, etc. Sounds like these are a little more sophisticated. Have you tried searching for the meaning of the red light?
No dip switches
pushbutton switches & (red & green) lights to change the available settings

I'll check my 622TX & 622Ns later tonight if this hasn't been resolved by then.
I use mine with nikon SB-700 / 800s and d600.

A quick search didn't turn up anything useful. Thought I'd ask here before digging through search results.I tried changing the channels and that didn't help. I did notice the screen on the flash unit would flickr when I hit the shutter button on the camera so something is happening... just no flash. Strange.

Edit: Thanks astro.

make sure the batteries are pointed in the correct direction too.

make sure the batteries are pointed in the correct direction too.

LOL! I actually checked that as a last resort. You know you're at your wits end when it comes to that.

are you using them to activate the camera at the same time? (ie as a remote shutter)

JohnnyWrench said:
Braineack said:
are you using them to activate the camera at the same time? (ie as a remote shutter)

No. Didn't even know you could do that.

A testament to the quality of the Yongy instruction "manuals".

if the usb/gps cord from the TX to the camera dies, and it can't auto-focus, then it wont shoot/flash.

You can use the test button on a spare 622 to trigger the TX.

red light usually means it's not attached to hot-shoe or batteries low or it doesn't "see" another unit to communicate with.

From your description, it sounds like more than one failed at the same time? If so, how many stopped working simultaneously? n/m - I see here you have 2.

You say you see the light change when the shutter is pressed, so they're getting a signal. Have you checked the lights themselves? Are the connections between them secure and correct?

Everything is seated correctly. The flashes are fine. When I hit the test button on the transceiver, the flash fires as it should. This tells me the connection between the transceiver and flash is functional. When I do a half press of the shutter button on the camera, the flash comes out of standby mode so the signal between the controller on the camera and the transceiver on the flash is good. Then the display on the flash flickers when I hit the shutter button, but no flash. And all of this with fresh batteries across the board. I don't get it... Where's my hammer?

Anybody have some Pocket Wizards they want to sell???

OK so I just mounted the SB-700 in the hot shoe of the D750 and it didn't fire... ???. Started poking around the flash settings and it was set to NO FLASH! Turned that on and... it worked. Guess I'm still getting used to the new body. Thanks for the suggestions guys but I think I cracked it.

No idea why it didn't work in the D700. I'm guessing in my haste, under the pressure of a shoot I didn't get the controller seated all the way in the hot shoe. Off to test that now.

Not gonna lie... Feeling kinda dumb right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back