You driod fellows will like this one

The ones that are dicks are dicks because they are dicks! And.....they F it up for all the other great cops out there.
So true. It's not like we mean all cops, just those that are doing wrong. They act like we're anti-American, when we're just trying to honestly figure out why cops that are in the wrong legally aren't held accountable for their mistakes. They're humans, of course they are. All humans make mistakes. They should be held accountable just like everyone else.

People should always question authority. If people in authority can't respond with the correct answer, respond that they don't know but will find the correct answer, and/or respond with a cool, clear attitude, then they shouldn't be in a position of power.

If we get to the point as a society where we can't question authority, we've lost our rights.

My father was a cop in Kansas City misery years ago. Yup, humans! ;) It really really sucks when a few bad apples taint the overwhelming majority.
Different thread derail, but makes me think of this http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/upshot/what-the-numbers-show-about-nfl-player-arrests.html?_r=0
Again, the few IDIOTS percentage wise, really screw up public perceptions and attitudes.

How it should go:

How it should go. Doesn't always go like that.

here's how it should have gone:

[intentional blank space*]

* because there should have been zero interaction whatsoever, and no blatant misquote/interpretation/violation of terry vs ohio. Someone doing something perfectly legal should have every expectation not to be singled out and "investigated" with no legal basis. And a cop cant quote "officer safety" to get away with a free "frisk".

Last edited:
How it should go:

How it should go. Doesn't always go like that.

here's how it should have gone:

[intentional blank space*]

* because there should have been zero interaction whatsoever, and no blatant misquote/interpretation/violation of terry vs ohio. Someone doing something perfectly legal should have every expectation not to be singled out and "investigated" with no legal basis. And a cop cant quote "officer safety" to get away with a free "frisk".

Good point. The problem is we don't know why the officer was called--in other words, if the man did anything outside of walk down the street with a gun hanging out. From the sounds of it, the officer was called into the situation due to several 911 calls, not just a friendly stop and frisk. Unfortunately, we don't know the whole story in this case. In addition, the man should have denied the officer's request to look at the gun. He didn't. Poop.

it doesn't matter--dispatch should tell the callers to go f themselves and be charged themselves for misuse of emergency systems.

if it was anything more, then they WOULD have detained him with some reasonable suspicion to go on. But this was a "bad apple" cop and his "bad apple" buddies (crazy how many spoiled in the bunch showed up) that wanted to treat a good law abiding citizen doing 100% legal activity like a criminal.

neildegrassetyson_truepicture.png

hey man, if the police report says that's what happened, then that's what happened.

I have been to allot of countries the US, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Germany, Britain and I once considered joining the police in Ireland, where Im from.
The one thing I can say is the same with police probably everywhere is the us and them mentality but the police are a reflection of the societies they come from and you can't simple blame the police for society being broken.

They both need a class in de-escalation. What's wrong with saying, "I'm using my completely legal drone to legally video your building because I can. My name is Joe Schmoe, I'm a tax-paying citizen . I carry legal and current identification because it's a law to do so. Nice to meet you."
Why can't the cop say something like, "I'm just wondering what your motivations are. Flying over and videoing our physical security measures seams mighty suspicious. I'm sure your video is going to be great or whatever, I just need to know that you mean no harm to our facilities." It's the same response the Air Force has to people photographing the flight line, only we've actually made it illegal. Why? Because there's reasonable suspicion that the media being created has the potential to aid in compromising our physical security. Maybe not by the completely well-meaning person recording it but by the audience on YouTube that now access to it. But I digress.
Its not hard. The kid with the drone was right, but that doesn't mean he has to be a dick about it. And the cop is obviously on high alert because it seems cool these days to shoot his friends. But he doesn't have to be a dick about it. We have this culture in the States that we're all invinsible, and it leads to confrontation like this. It's dumb. I feel bad for cops right now. It's their Vietnam.

On another note, the first video and the one with the diminutive cop with the mustache should in no way be compared. That cop was a complete fool for drawing his weapon or saying the things he said. He was put on administrative leave, from what I remember, and for good reason.

there's no law that says you need to carry identification. and there's PLENTY of case law that says what an officer can approach and detain you for.

This can quickly become a pissing match. I'm just saying that it's not unreasonable to expect both cop AND citizen to act cordially.
I'm interested in any case study you can find that states a police officer can't question or even detain anyone for any reason. The Supreme Court ruled long ago that a person can be detained for up to 48 hours while they figure out if they even have probable cause to arrest you! So saying a cop can only approach someone in very specific situations seams a bit reaching.

citizen to act cordially
Citizens don't have to act cordially. They can curse at the officers or flick them off if they want without being questioned, detained, or ticketed.

Not saying that anyone should, but they can. We have that right.

Look at the person's Youtube account - he has posted about a dozen videos like this a month (at least for the past 2-3 months, I didn't go back further). Does he have a job? a life? or is he making enough money doing these videos to live on? I don't know, but people are making money from ads that accompany their videos - that's why people are doing this, to get views and followers and make money.

I have done work that involved going into neighborhoods that are on the news with drug deals and shootings on a regular basis and it isn't just late night anymore. I've had to call a family that I couldn't get to their house because streets were closed due to a shooting (then call our main office to make them aware of it to let my coworkers know not to come down there). And not just a one time incident. I've seen enough myself, officers are having to deal with enough out there without people with cameras trying to create a situation just to make money.

Most people doing their jobs including police officers are not the ones making the news, we don't see much of them unless it's a human interest story; we usually only hear about the problem situations or those who aren't doing their jobs properly.

The supervisor/sergeant made a good point saying this is relatively new and everyone is still trying to figure out what to do because rules and regs seem to be limited and somewhat lacking and are still being developed.

And on a lighter note - that style hat is what state troopers and sheriff's deputies wear in my area. Not probably going for a fashion trend there.

citizen to act cordially
Citizens don't have to act cordially. They can curse at the officers or flick them off if they want without being questioned, detained, or ticketed.

That's a serious double standard. Ideas like this are ruining our country.

citizen to act cordially

That's a serious double standard. Ideas like this are ruining our country.
How? Wanting to keep my freedoms is ruining our country?

IMHO being cooperative when you're completely innocent is in no way a loss of any freedoms, so you'll have to explain exactly what "freedoms" you'd be giving up. And you deserve every bit of your disorderly conduct charge if you decide to flip off and curse out a cop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back