Your Favorite Glass!

nathanlegiehn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just post your absolute favorite overall lens. Doesnt matter for what subject matter or what type of shooting, I'm just interested in your favorite!

For me i'd say my Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8L II

Absoultely love it!

Whats yours? :D

70-200 2.8, Really hoping that Nikon releases a 16-35, rumor is that they will.

Ditto on the 70-200, but the 28-70 is a very close second.

70-200 but I want the 14-24 2.8 so we'll see :D

Canon 100mm 2.8 macro for me too. Love that lens...

70-200 but I want the 14-24 2.8 so we'll see :D

i would like to get that lens (the 14-24) because i love landscape shots and i could really use that wide angle (and I prefer zooms so i'm not taking my lens on and off the camera that often). The glass just bothers me on that and makes me not want to spend nearly $2000 on it... the way it bulges in the front, and the fact that you cannot put a filter on it... bothers me. I want it, but i know to get the shots I want to take with it, I will be exposing it to some tough environment. I wish they would design that lens to be able to take some kind of protective covering (besides the lens hood). Grrr.. i wish I could convince myself that it would stay perfectly clean, but I know it wont... :grumpy:

Don't have a favorite lens to comment on, as I only have one (a 24-120mm that DH bought me with my camera). I REALLY REALLY REALLY would love to purchase the 85mm 1.4 for portraits, and i'd also like to get the 24-70mm 2.8 after that.

great thread, i'd like to see what everyone else has a favorite!

Of the lenses I've had, the 70-200mm f/4 L IS was my favorite. Sadly I had to sell it.

Of my current lenses that I have, I think the 10-22mm EFS is great, but it really makes me think about composition. It's good practice.

Easily my FD 50mm f1.4 SSC. Great indoors, and good for walking around as I don't feel like swapping to the 200mm too often.

I'm a sucker for primes.

I can't pick!

I mean I love my canon 70-200mm f.8 IS L because its the longest glass I own and has a fantasticly fast AF speed - and is also very sharp at the long end (and that is when I am adding in a 1.4TC as well). Great lens!

But then there is my 150mm sigma macro it totally beats the 70-200mm into the ground for closeup work and goes even further into full macro as well. A long working distances makes it a great lens for bughunting - especailly when they are more active and less likley to sit still. Add a teleconverter or diopter and get even more fun and magnification out of the lens!

But wait again there is my 70mm macro which although it has a shorter working distance than my 150mm macro its one of my lightest lenses - making it ideal for using the flash in more creative positions by handholding both the flash and the camera (flash in one hand camera in the other). Its doable with the 150mm, but one gets tried really quick - unlike with the light 70mm. Its also great for those times working indoors or in butterfly gardens where one cannot always step back another pace to get something into focus and the shorter working distance is called for.

And then there is the MP65mm macro and well it does things with macro that the other two lenses can only dream of trying to achive!

So in the end I can't really tell you what my favourite lens is, because I don't have one. I have four lenses where each of which has its own areas where is excels over the others for what it gives me either optically or egonomically.

I can tell you what my least favourite lens is though - the 18-55mm kit lens - I hardly ever use it and when I do its mostly just happy snap family shots (though I did get a neat shot of a robin with it once). Ok I might be being slightly harsh on this lens, but overall its just not a lens that suits my needs on an average day.

(ps I could probably tell you what my favourite lens to own would be - 300mm f2.8 IS L :) )

My Nikon 24-70 2.8 almost never leaves my camera
Troy

Most reactions

Back