Your Photo Editing Computer

Actually, I *just* got a new laptop, just a couple of days ago. A kick butt HP unit with 6 gigs of RAM and 500 gb hard drive, and 17" screen. Wonderful computer.

It's got Vista on it, and frankly, I don't know what all the hate is for. I use it, it works. Simple as that. Haven't had any issues.

Where the hell is Jerry? He's the one with 50TB storage in his basement. He'll have something to say about this I'm sure. lol

Actually, I *just* got a new laptop, just a couple of days ago. A kick butt HP unit with 6 gigs of RAM and 500 gb hard drive, and 17" screen. Wonderful computer.

It's got Vista on it, and frankly, I don't know what all the hate is for. I use it, it works. Simple as that. Haven't had any issues.

1) resource hog.
2) change for changes sake.
3) lots of issues with drivers and the like.
4) Overkill on the protection stuff.
5) a requirement to pair it down quite extensively to get it running well, especialyl for gaming and other heavy resource aplpications.

XP, Linux and Leopard are much better OS's.. There's a VERY good reason MS is rushing a replacement for Vista through.

As for computer stuff..

The main thing with image editing is CAPACITY....

Need at least 2 gig for XP ( 4 or even 6 in Vista ) and as much hard disk space as you can afford.

Also get a external hard disk and do a backup of your work to that too. On a mac this is simple as the 'time machine' software handles backups seemlessly.

To the guy asking about Macs, I have a mac book pro previous generation that I picked up new for 1350. right when the newest mac came out, apple lowered the price on the previous generations to get them off the shelf. I find for CS4, it works good. I have about 230 usable gigs, plus an external HD that I carry with me. The speed seems good for a laptop. I don't do much printing so I couldn't let you know about colors, but i think it works fine... The OS wasn't much of an adjustment either. Its fairly user friendly. the ONLY real complaint I have, is I used iPhoto for organizing my photos and I don't like how when I edit in PS, it doesn't reconize those photos on thumbnails when I save them. anywho, carry on

To start, let me say that I didn't read all the messages posted here so I may be repeating something already said - if so I apologize in advance.

I use a Compaq PC, 500GB hard drive, AMD athelon x2 5000 dual core processor with 2GB of memory and so far [tap wood] no problems here. I have a CD\DVD burner with light scan technology, but I have no card slots, just the USB ports [its a low end PC] I also have Vista.

On that note - I have heard Vista is on its way out to make room for the new Version of Windows 7 [wonder how much new software & hardware this version of windows will require to be replaced with newer versions!] I would definately NOT get Vista again if I had a choice! A friend of mine actually got a PC recently and was able to have XP installed [I loved XP]! My point is - if you get a new PC get the newest or best operating sytem as well, in fact it would probably come preinstalled, but if it still has Vista, I'd wait! You might have guessed by now I am NOT a fan of WIndows Vista!!!

To start, let me say that I didn't read all the messages posted here so I may be repeating something already said - if so I apologize in advance.

I use a Compaq PC, 500GB hard drive, AMD athelon x2 5000 dual core processor with 2GB of memory and so far [tap wood] no problems here. I have a CD\DVD burner with light scan technology, but I have no card slots, just the USB ports [its a low end PC] I also have Vista.

On that note - I have heard Vista is on its way out to make room for the new Version of Windows 7 [wonder how much new software & hardware this version of windows will require to be replaced with newer versions!] I would definately NOT get Vista again if I had a choice! A friend of mine actually got a PC recently and was able to have XP installed [I loved XP]! My point is - if you get a new PC get the newest or best operating sytem as well, in fact it would probably come preinstalled, but if it still has Vista, I'd wait! You might have guessed by now I am NOT a fan of WIndows Vista!!!

I've got a copy of the Beta Windows 7. It runs fine on a normal dual core system with a seperate graphics card. 2 gigs of ram... There will be a few versions of it just like with Vista. The most basic level will run on 10 year old equipment I'm told. All in all I think it's a pretty nice OS. I'm not running Photoshop with it right now, but I suspect that it wouldn't have any problem handling it. Personally, I think what would serve Microsoft well would be to Create their own hardware like Apple does. If they did this, there wouldn't be any issues with compatability. They would just work. Like the Macs.

1) resource hog.
2) change for changes sake.
3) lots of issues with drivers and the like.
4) Overkill on the protection stuff.
5) a requirement to pair it down quite extensively to get it running well, especialyl for gaming and other heavy resource aplpications.

XP, Linux and Leopard are much better OS's.. There's a VERY good reason MS is rushing a replacement for Vista through.

Didn't they learn? They rushed to get Vista out, and it sucks. Now they're going to rush out a replacement and get the same thing.

Ok thanks for the insight... What I'm hearing is that MAC is the better choice for video and photo editing. Macs are definitely more expensive though... What do you think about getting an older used mac... like:

Apple Mac G3 Powerbook... single core... 400 mhz... and just investing in more ram? Or would I be smarter to go with a Dell Studio 15??? Brand New. I know I can't afford a brand new mac right now. If I could I would probably get the Mac Book Pro...

I think people like macs because they tend to be more stable than windows machines. But for pure computing power to edit images, I really don't think it matters...and you can get more power for you money with a PC system.

I think people like macs because they tend to be more stable than windows machines. But for pure computing power to edit images, I really don't think it matters...and you can get more power for you money with a PC system.

Amen. But you won't be as hip and trendy with a PC either...

Hey, if you have to show off the brand of your (computer, car, clothes, electronics, etc.) to be hip and trendy...then you've got bigger problems that which computer to choose ;) :lol:

Hey, if you have to show off the brand of your (computer, car, clothes, electronics, etc.) to be hip and trendy...then you've got bigger problems that which computer to choose ;) :lol:

That's the only reason I can see that you shoot with those white lenses... :greenpbl:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back