Your Photo Editing Computer

Actually, I shoot with a big white lens because it's solid enough that I can beat people over the head when they piss me off. :blackeye: :biglaugh:

Definitely don't buy an old GX mac. They ditched that platform and everything is Intel, so eventually future software updates won't support it.

I'm getting ready to sell my 15" 2.13ghz C2D MBP when I get my taxes. I'm looking at picking up a 17" MBP and a 30" monitor. Really, there's no difference between using photo shop on a mac or a PC besides the interface. I just enjoy the OS X version of Adobe's programs better than the Windows version.

And stability is subjective. I sometimes got random crashes in CS3 on my MBP where I didn't with my Dell notebook runnin Vista. But then again, it seems to have cleared up with CS3.

Actually, I shoot with a big white lens because it's solid enough that I can beat people over the head when they piss me off. :blackeye: :biglaugh:
I could have used something like that at the last wedding I shot... Damn mother-of-the-bridezilla...

I have to add to this thread because I will be building my new PC in a couple of weeks!! This will be my second PC that I have built. I just wanted to add my own 2 cents.

Mac vs. PC

Bottom line a Mac is going to be stable right out of the box. Less viruses, most likely less problems overall. BUT a PC can also be just as stable but you can't just buy ANY PC. There are so many advantages to have a PC, to me they really out weigh the over priced Mac. Macs are easy, you just don't have to do much research you can buy an Mac and feel safe. I have been spending a LOT of time researching for my PC, but the time I spend doing this will give me LOTS of great savings and give me that Mac "safe" feeling.

I suppose if I had the income I would just buy a Mac but I'm sorry I don't want to spend 3,000 dollars all on a computer.

My new PC is going to cost me 1200, lets look at what kind of Mac I can get for that price.

CPU
Mac= Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
PC=Intel Core2 Quad 2.66GHz (a lot better!!)

MEMORY
Mac=1GB DDR2 (are you kidding me... 1gb... sheesh!)
PC=8GB DDR2 (a lot better!)

VIDEO CARD
Mac=ATI 128MB GDDR3
PC=ATI 512MB GDDR2 (Even though the Mac’s video card is GDDR3, I can’t believe it’s only 128mb. PC better!)

MONITOR
Mac=20"
PC=22" (better)

HARD DRIVE
Mac=250GB SATA
PC=650GB SATA (a lot better!)

It's not even close! Like I said I would have to spend around 3 grand to get a Mac with the same stuff. If I had the money, I would get it, but I have to many other things I need to get, for example, I will be buying a Canon 35mm 1.4 L with the money I saved by going with a PC. Then add all the extra advantages like software and such... PC wins for me and my budget.

I really can't say too much if you don't want to build your own system. Building your own system is the best way to get a great PC! Just research a ton!! There are some great stable all ready built systems just don't get the cheapest PC you find and Wal-Mart!!

I'm going to load Vista Premium 64 bit, you could load Vista 32bit and be fine, I'm just getting ready for the future. I like to build my computers to last 5 years so I overkill now and then coast the rest of the way. From what I can tell most Vista's that aren't the Basic seem to being doing well. The problem is many people don't understand that Vista 64bit is a whole different ball game, and most companies do not offer support to the 64bit system! So they start putting all kinds of software on and can't figure out why it's not work right.

This is exactly why my other PC isn't moving anywhere it will be there right next to my new one, just in case.

Ok this is long, but I needed to upload some of the research I have been doing for the whole week. Thanks.

Rich

Is it bad that I can't even tell you the BRAND of computer that I use? (I'm at work, otherwise I would just look. haha) My husband is the techy guy. I did however pick out our monitor. It's a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2253. I love it.

I get to use a Dell Precision T7400 with dual Xeon's. It does whatever I want fast, and has a 1Gb video card so video games are maxed. All I need to do is build a seperate raid cause I am running out of space.

I have to add to this thread because I will be building my new PC in a couple of weeks!! This will be my second PC that I have built. I just wanted to add my own 2 cents.

Mac vs. PC

Bottom line a Mac is going to be stable right out of the box. Less viruses, most likely less problems overall. BUT a PC can also be just as stable but you can't just buy ANY PC. There are so many advantages to have a PC, to me they really out weigh the over priced Mac. Macs are easy, you just don't have to do much research you can buy an Mac and feel safe. I have been spending a LOT of time researching for my PC, but the time I spend doing this will give me LOTS of great savings and give me that Mac "safe" feeling.

I suppose if I had the income I would just buy a Mac but I'm sorry I don't want to spend 3,000 dollars all on a computer.

My new PC is going to cost me 1200, lets look at what kind of Mac I can get for that price.

CPU
Mac= Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
PC=Intel Core2 Quad 2.66GHz (a lot better!!)

MEMORY
Mac=1GB DDR2 (are you kidding me... 1gb... sheesh!)
PC=8GB DDR2 (a lot better!)

VIDEO CARD
Mac=ATI 128MB GDDR3
PC=ATI 512MB GDDR2 (Even though the Mac’s video card is GDDR3, I can’t believe it’s only 128mb. PC better!)

MONITOR
Mac=20"
PC=22" (better)

HARD DRIVE
Mac=250GB SATA
PC=650GB SATA (a lot better!)

It's not even close! Like I said I would have to spend around 3 grand to get a Mac with the same stuff. If I had the money, I would get it, but I have to many other things I need to get, for example, I will be buying a Canon 35mm 1.4 L with the money I saved by going with a PC. Then add all the extra advantages like software and such... PC wins for me and my budget.

I really can't say too much if you don't want to build your own system. Building your own system is the best way to get a great PC! Just research a ton!! There are some great stable all ready built systems just don't get the cheapest PC you find and Wal-Mart!!

I'm going to load Vista Premium 64 bit, you could load Vista 32bit and be fine, I'm just getting ready for the future. I like to build my computers to last 5 years so I overkill now and then coast the rest of the way. From what I can tell most Vista's that aren't the Basic seem to being doing well. The problem is many people don't understand that Vista 64bit is a whole different ball game, and most companies do not offer support to the 64bit system! So they start putting all kinds of software on and can't figure out why it's not work right.

This is exactly why my other PC isn't moving anywhere it will be there right next to my new one, just in case.

Ok this is long, but I needed to upload some of the research I have been doing for the whole week. Thanks.

Rich

Hmmmm....
Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Refurbed 24" imac for $1549. And quad core is only better if the software takes advantage of it or if you're running enough proccesses for it to matter.

Building a PC can certainly be cheaper, but there's some advantages to using Apple hardware and OS X. OS X's integration between everything is better than windows. You can drag and drop almost anything to almost anywhere.

I find that the indexing in OS X is smoother than Vista's.

Ease of doing anything is another reason. Installing programs usually consist of opening the .dmg and putting the program icon into your applications folder. Erasing is as easy as dragging the icon to the trash.

Plus with the terminal, you can do anything, so it's not a "simple" or "locked down" as some people would call it.

I personally like the interface better. That's worth the price to me. In fact, that's why I have two laptops. I use the Dell for gaming and the MBP for photo editing. If I get a new MBP with the 512mb nvidia 9800m gt, 4gb of ram, and a 2.66 c2d then I'm only going to use one computer and boot windows from the Mac for games and still have OS X available for everything else.

Hmmmm....
Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Refurbed 24" imac for $1549. And quad core is only better if the software takes advantage of it or if you're running enough proccesses for it to matter.

Hey you made some good points why you like Mac, but lets look at the Mac you presented... the word Refurbished already doesn't sit well with me. I'm sure their are plenty of people who have a refurbished piece of equipment and can say they never had a problem. But I bet I can find a refurbed PC for a lot cheaper too.

I know my system was overkill for what I am going to use it for and I will most likely not use half of my CPU and Memory, but the point is how much I am getting. If I got something more practical it would be even cheaper than 1200, so then your refurbed Mac is still more expensive.

Also I am ready for the furture I won't have to upgrade my computer for awhile.

I can't say much about either OS, I've never used Vista or a Mac's OS. For me the OS is not a big deal, as long as it rarely crashes I'm fine.

For me it's about value! You just can't argue that you will get more for your money with a PC.

And just for FUN...

Your link to a Mac vs my PC

Mac=1550 dollars
PC=1200 but we will add and extra 100 for a keyboard and mouse, because I'm not buyting those so... PC=1300

Mac=Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz
PC=Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz (better, more power, (insert Tim Allen grunt)

Mac=2GB Memory
PC=8GB Memory (big winner)

Mac=320GB Hard Drive
PC=640GB Hard Drive (winner)

Mac=8x dvd burner
PC=22x Dvd Burner (winner)

Mac=24" monitor (ok you win one)
PC=22" monitor

Mac=256 DDR3 video card
PC=512 DDR2 video card (this is going to be tie, I'm not sure how much have DDR3 memory really makes a difference compared to 512 DDR2)

Then take points off for a refurb and PC is still a better value, now if I had more time I would try to find similar parts that match your Mac but I think I could safely say I could built one for a LOT cheaper than my 1300 PC. I would guess around 800 dollars NEW not refurb. So your mac would be double the price now.

Macs I'm sure are a great computers, but when you are on a budget and still have lots of photography stuff to buy I will always say get a PC and get yourself some more photography stuff.

I only have a couple thousand to invest in my kit this year and I would much rather get a awesome PC that will be prepared for the furture and get a sweet piece of GLASS!

Last here are some links to my stuff, so you know I'm not just making it up. OMG I almost forgot included with that 1300 price tag of mine is a wacom tablet, a better CPU fan, and a KVM switch.

All of this should be around 1200 dollars plus add and extra 100 for a keyboard and mouse for good messure.

Asus P5Q-E Motherboard

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz CPU

8GB Corsair Memory DDR2

Sapphire 512MB Video Card

Cooler Master Power Supply 460w

Western Digital 640GB Hard Drive

Acer 21.5" LCD Monitor

IOgear KVM switch

Wacom Pen Tablet

Asus CPU Heatsink/Fan

DVD Burner

Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Miro Trend Security 2009

I have nothing else to do at work can you tell. :)

Last edited:
I use an all Mac setup for everything(except a Dell Laptop at work). I find that they are fast enough for CS4/LR/Aperture...etc. I currently own a 24" intel iMac as my main home computer and a 13" MB for my carry. Both have 320g hard drives and 4g of ram. They are backed up to a 1TB time capsule which also throws out my wireless signal.

2 things though, if you buy a Mac, get the basic as far as ram and hard drives. Then head to Fry's or newegg and order your hard drive and ram there. Use the old hard drive with a $20 external kit and you have your own backup drive. Also, remember that the iMacs and new laptops are glossy screens. This is great for web and movies, but most people prefer a matte screen for pp.

My next item on my list is a Drobo to replace my 3tb externals...wish I was rich!!

Whatever you decide on, I wish you the best with your purchase.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 overclocked to 3.3Ghz
G.SKILL 4GB Memory DDR2 800MHz
WD 640GB Internal HDD (OS, Games etc...)
WD 500GB External HDD (Photos)
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

Runs photoshop CS4 and LR smooth as butter :)

1) resource hog.
2) change for changes sake.
3) lots of issues with drivers and the like.
4) Overkill on the protection stuff.
5) a requirement to pair it down quite extensively to get it running well, especialyl for gaming and other heavy resource aplpications.

XP, Linux and Leopard are much better OS's.. There's a VERY good reason MS is rushing a replacement for Vista through.

1) its not a resource hog, vista has better memory management than XP
3) driver problems is the hardware's inability to keep up with the OS, its the hardware's problem, not the OS's problem...
4) hardly overkill... you can disable UAC if it annoys you...
5) pair it down? what do you mean

Didn't they learn? They rushed to get Vista out, and it sucks. Now they're going to rush out a replacement and get the same thing.
1) Vista doesn't suck anymore
2) They aren't rushing Windows 7

I can see that my set up goes in the "old school" category: 3ghz pentium 4, 2gb ram and 1.3tb harddrive space in total. Using an old 21" DELL CRT monitor. It's stone age technology, but it works.

Most reactions

Back