Zakim bridge Boston for CC - need feedback on new edit for printing please

Looks great, is it slightly off level though? Could just be the shoreline but I think the water may have a slight tilt. Spot on otherwise.

The lab I use has an option to tick so they'll adjust the final image for the print material, I quickly found they're better at it than I am, and the last aluminium print I did they nailed.

Looks great, is it slightly off level though? Could just be the shoreline but I think the water may have a slight tilt. Spot on otherwise.

The lab I use has an option to tick so they'll adjust the final image for the print material, I quickly found they're better at it than I am, and the last aluminium print I did they nailed.

You may be right. This was a tough one to level - I'll take a look before sending it in.

Great photos! I find the very bright highlights in the water keep pulling my eyes down there from main parts of the images. Other than that nitpick very nicely done.

The last pano is great. Well done.

The dock is smaller in frame and as suggested before leads the eye into the image.

For the print. Contact your printer and ensure you set your colour to match that of the printer. You may have to brighten just a bit but I find if I set the colour to the printer it's less of a guessing game.

@snowbear you were right! That 12mm lens was super dusty. I must have skipped it somehow when I cleaned everything before we went out. The ones without dust were all taken with the 16-80.

All of the advice from people sounds like too many cooks adding ingredients. What resulted is not so much a photograph rather a manipulated FRANKENSTEIN. Straighten a building remove this edit that clone this. Get a film camera and make photographs

Ok: my $0.02 worth.

1. Colors are beautiful
2. Framing is neither flat/perpendicular to the main subject, nor with enough angle to give one end of the bridge a scale advantage.
3. Exposures are a time bit on the dark side for my taste on a city/water night scene.
4. The foreground of the jetty is a distraction, since it neither occupies a place as a focal point (not enough of it), nor diminishes enough to not be in competition with the bridge.
5. The length of exposure could be longer to draw out some more mirror like quality in the waters.

Please know I’m just offering some constructive criticism, and I would be pretty happy to have created these shots. I suck at night time work.

All of the advice from people sounds like too many cooks adding ingredients. What resulted is not so much a photograph rather a manipulated FRANKENSTEIN. Straighten a building remove this edit that clone this. Get a film camera and make photographs

It’s the c&c forum. I asked for them to provide feedback. And as for your comment on my photo and advice to get a film camera - you are rude and out of touch. You don’t think film photos are manipulated? Educate yourself. Thanks for your “input”.

Ok: my $0.02 worth.

1. Colors are beautiful
2. Framing is neither flat/perpendicular to the main subject, nor with enough angle to give one end of the bridge a scale advantage.
3. Exposures are a time bit on the dark side for my taste on a city/water night scene.
4. The foreground of the jetty is a distraction, since it neither occupies a place as a focal point (not enough of it), nor diminishes enough to not be in competition with the bridge.
5. The length of exposure could be longer to draw out some more mirror like quality in the waters.

Please know I’m just offering some constructive criticism, and I would be pretty happy to have created these shots. I suck at night time work.

Thanks, I appreciate the constructive feedback. I find the dock a distraction as well and mentioned to the buyer that I was planning to remove it but she likes it and wanted it left as is.

This is the place to get advice.
Some technical, some preference.

If you're not into having your images looked at with a critical eye or be able to participate with something useful to say, LEAVE. I'm not the nice Staff Member and have little tolerance for this type of nonsense.

To everyone else. Thank you for the participation.

My film black and white photos are printed directly from the negatives, no muss no fuss they are what they are with no manipulation. You did ask for feed back but apparently will not accept anything but positive feed back, sorry If it hurt your feelings.

You provided no specific feedback about my actual photo - just your opinion on editing and digital manipulation bad, film good. I welcome any polite and thoughtful input on my photo whether it is critical or complimentary. I don’t really care whether or not you think digital photos that are edited are worthy. You are just trolling for an argument by being obnoxious which I have no problem calling out for what it is.

My film black and white photos are printed directly from the negatives, no muss no fuss they are what they are with no manipulation. You did ask for feed back but apparently will not accept anything but positive feed back, sorry If it hurt your feelings.

Critical feedback on photos (which you did not provide) is welcome. Negative attitudes about the value of critique and judgement about the medium (which is what you did provide) is NOT welcome. Says the moderator who shoots film but has no patience for digital-vs-film, edited-vs-not nonsense.

Would love some feedback on these. I don't love them and can't quite put my finger on why. It could be the stars on the lights which I thought I liked on my small screen but now find really distracting... These were taken with the Samyang 12mm, ISO 200, 1 second and 6 seconds respectively. I was at f16-f22 but as it's not a Fuji lens the aperture doesn't get recorded in the exif.

_CAT9506 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

_CAT9418 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Number 2 is a knockout compositionally, i think. reflections in the water are a bit much for the eye but what are you going to do? that shot is worth it. And the street light stars work in this one. Great shot, my only gripe would be that magenta and purple light far left. Can't ask the city to kill that, unfortunately.

Most reactions

Back