What's new

Zion for C&C

spacefuzz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 18, 2011
Messages
1,832
Reaction score
318
Location
Southern California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to Zion NP last weekend, stunningly beautiful place! Would love your feedback so I can improve my shots next time I visit. I know they are all frequently shot scenes, so lay into me! Thanks!

1. Classic Zion
6352738782_f94efafb65_o.jpg


2. Archangel Falls
6349769710_29bc5036e8_o.jpg


3. Subway

6342828767_97a6176423_o.jpg
 
#1, I don't get. I love #2 as you got a great capture of the waterfalls showing flowing water, great shot. #3 is great cause its just dark and mysterious. keep up the good work.
 
Beautiful collection of images. Although it looks a bit soft – see the lack of detail on the leaves –, I like #1 in particular, one of the most creative images I've seen this week.
 
2 is great, but 3 is my favorite! Wow!
 
I'm really torn between 2 and 3. I love the perspective with 2, but I'm really drawn to the mysterious green water on the right. The bit of water pouring into that, and going from the white to green is really very cool. The tunnel is also really neat...

Great work.
 
Nice shots. I have lived in Utah most of my life but I have only been to Zion one time. I need to visit Zion and our other Naational Parks.
 
They are all rather nice.

#1 - I assume you shot with a tripod? If so, how did you set it up? Looking at the image, it must have been shot from above......
 
Thanks all for taking a look :-)

Yes all 3 were with a tripod, and #1 is looking down towards the crack. Such a photogenic place. I will see if I can burn / sharpen the leaves a but to make them appear sharper. Thanks!
 
Way to get permits.

Not being rude but pretty cliche stuff, search "the subway zion" on flickr and you will find hundreds of photos of those exact same comps. I myself have dozens of cliche Utah and its hard to get excited over them. ;)
 
Way to get permits.

Not being rude but pretty cliche stuff, search "the subway zion" on flickr and you will find hundreds of photos of those exact same comps. I myself have dozens of cliche Utah and its hard to get excited over them. ;)

Not to be rude but why does it matter? But as your obviously an expert I would love your insight on how not to take a cliche shot at that location.
 
Not to be rude but why does it matter?

Why should I like your shoot over the countless others like it taken with better equipment, during better conditions, at that exact same spot? What sets it apart?

But as your obviously an expert I would love your insight on how not to take a cliche shot at that location.

Ill be honest, Its hard to do and at some over shot locations (like the subway or the Wave) its nearly fracking impossible. I like to pretend I've never seen a shot of the location before. Low angles always seem to work wonders and getting in the water or muck to get an angle seems to help. As far as the subway goes..... high flow shots are awesome (but its pretty dangerous to be in the subway during the spring run off unless you know what your doing) and all the winter shots I've seen have been pretty amazing.

Like I said before I have taken plenty of cookie cutter shots and I'm not really proud of them either.
 
Well just so you know since I am looking for feedback to improve, that kind of commentary doesnt help much and kind of sounds like your bashing a shot for your own pleasure. Now that I have said my piece on that......

Now if you had said I need better conditions, I completely agree the overcast day I was there was not spectacular in any way shape or form. This was actually a scouting trip to visit the Subway in January for ice shots.

Im sad you cant be happy with shots that you consider cookie cutter. Just because someone else captured something amazing and beautiful does not diminish anyone elses shots of the same subject. Its always nice to see something heavily photographed in a new light, but I dont think its a requirement.
 
Well just so you know since I am looking for feedback to improve, that kind of commentary doesnt help much and kind of sounds like your bashing a shot for your own pleasure. Now that I have said my piece on that......

Would you rather I post a shallow "great shot" type of a comment? Too many people around here promote and encourage crap. With that being said I will hold you to a higher standard because your part of the 5% or photographers who are willing to get off their rumps and bag a canyon to get some photos :D

anyways....
1. best of the group - cool shot
2. try cropping out the sky in the upper left. There's not much going on up there so why not ditch it?
3. reduce the contrast and bump up the exposure

They all look a bit soft


Im sad you cant be happy with shots that you consider cookie cutter. Just because someone else captured something amazing and beautiful does not diminish anyone elses shots of the same subject. Its always nice to see something heavily photographed in a new light, but I dont think its a requirement.

whatever floats your boat.
 
Well just so you know since I am looking for feedback to improve, that kind of commentary doesnt help much and kind of sounds like your bashing a shot for your own pleasure. Now that I have said my piece on that......

Would you rather I post a shallow "great shot" type of a comment? Too many people around here promote and encourage crap. With that being said I will hold you to a higher standard because your part of the 5% or photographers who are willing to get off their rumps and bag a canyon to get some photos :D

anyways....
1. best of the group - cool shot
2. try cropping out the sky in the upper left. There's not much going on up there so why not ditch it?
3. reduce the contrast and bump up the exposure

They all look a bit soft

Thanks for the reply. No I dont just want the "great shot" since that doesnt help me improve. But picking on the location as cliche doesnt help much either.

Getting low is I agree always great advice, had some dorked up focus and they are crud.

2. thanks I will re-crop
3. I will try that as well.

They most likely are a bit soft, freakin tamron lens.

thanks for taking a second look.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom