zoom lens?

Brodie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, I own a Nikon D60 and have been looking at zoom lenses...i realize that the only ones that the autofocus will work with are the AF-S lenses but other than that im trying to figure out what kind of focal length i will need in a lens to be able to take nice clear photos of race cars, aircraft and the occasional sports event....money isnt a huge issue but i really dont want to spend money on a lens that cost more than my camera right now.

thanks

hi, I own a Nikon D60 and have been looking at zoom lenses...i realize that the only ones that the autofocus will work with are the AF-S lenses but other than that im trying to figure out what kind of focal length i will need in a lens to be able to take nice clear photos of race cars, aircraft and the occasional sports event....money isnt a huge issue but i really dont want to spend money on a lens that cost more than my camera right now.

thanks

Good luck with that. The only real choice you have is the AF-S 70-300 f4/5.6 VRII ($600); it has the focal length you need, but is really too slow for serious sports photography.

bodies come and go, good glass is forever

My 70-300 cost more than my D60. The only thing you really want to look at is the chance that you may upgrade to a full frame (FX) camera from a crop (DX). (IE a D300 to a D700 or D3). If you're considering upgrading to a full frame, don't spend your money on DX lenses. Other than that, spend money on glass not bodies.

For instance the Nikon 600mm f/4. There's no SLR body in the world that out prices that lens.

And to confirm what Tirediron said, the 70-300 is too slow for anything other than full daylight photography.

Actually for the uses you listed I'd say 500 mm is what you need and 600 mm would be better.

I use the Sigma 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 for most of my outdoor, daylight sports work (field sports, motor racing.). I do use a second body with a Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR mounted on it for when the action gets close to me.

Unless you have multiple bodies you'll always have more money tied up in glass than in your camera.

Most reactions

Back