Another nail in the film coffin

terri said:
That is one beautiful B&W portrait, Derrel! Personally, I couldn't care less what medium you used to make it. ;) Lovely!

Awww, thanks terri, you're too kind. I did most of the shoot as an homage to classic film cameras....Nikon F2A, Argus C-3, Yashica twin-lens, and even the Minolta 110! People generally like the shots from that session which was shot on the banks of the Columbia River, in Portland, Oregon.

That sounds like so much fun! Great idea for a series. I'm guessing the other images turned out nicely, too.

Next time, include a classic Polaroid, dammit. :whip:

All this talk of film making a come back is nonsense, it has never gone away.

They mean come back in the sens of reactivation of Kodak and Agfa. That won't happen, but film will around for long time to come, as long as coaters will work. There always will be a group of people shooting film as this is more organic, or less mechanical, form of photography. For some more satisfying than another computer wonder.

They mean come back in the sens of reactivation of Kodak and Agfa. That won't happen, but film will around for long time to come, as long as coaters will work. There always will be a group of people shooting film as this is more organic, or less mechanical, form of photography. For some more satisfying than another computer wonder.

Yes, that was a little tongue in cheek fun on my part. However, both Kodak and Agfa films are readily available where I am so is there some news concerning these that hasn't reached our shores yet?

Derrel:
I'll also comment on your dual portrait. It's acceptable, as long as one's willing to go along with near-perfection. [Ed.: In case you missed the understated praise, Torus was blown away!]

Well cgw is right with this "come back", won't happen . We all can relax, there is just too many people in chairs hooked by cat5 to actually do something with their's hands and else. Eeeasy life, there is app for everything. :icon_cheers:
Where's that app for E-6 labs in the GTA??? :^)

Well cgw is right with this "come back", won't happen . We all can relax, there is just too many people in chairs hooked by cat5 to actually do something with their's hands and else. Eeeasy life, there is app for everything. :icon_cheers:
Where's that app for E-6 labs in the GTA??? :^)
Technically your digital camera simulates that. You click and in instant you receive direct positive.

i don't know how any one affords to shoot film. I am starting to remember why i stopped. Looked at my mpix invoices on 24 roll exposures. 19 cents per exposure developing, like eight bucks shipping. 20 bucks for just 5x7 prints, 10 bucks for a cd. And of course they ship it in two separate packages so i am paying shipping twice so like 40 bucks a freakn roll of 24. cant wait to send in the 36's. clearly, i have to cut somewhere in this. comes to about 1.88 per shot i figured earlier when i got out the calculator...

my wifes catches on to these tabs, she probably will kill me.

Personally, I develop and scan my own, and print my own on my photo printer at home if I want a print. (up to 8.5 x 11)

C41 chemicals are around $20 which is good for a minimum of 8 rolls, and can be stretched out to quite a few more if you store it well. B&W chemicals cost slightly more, but can last much longer, like months longer.

For me, it really just comes down to time, since developing and scanning, can be time consuming. I don't have as much free time as I used to, so I've been shooting more digital lately, although, if I ever catch up on my undeveloped rolls, i'll probably jump back on my film cameras again.

Last edited:
What is it about the cost ? Every hobby is about spending money on pleasure. If someone want to have pics cheap should buy second hand, old digi P&S (like me, $20 for 7 MP Pentax :bouncingsmileys: - I can still see my wife and kids on vacation.) and watch them on the tablet. It still will cost electricity and use of computer, but that's almost nothing. But if someone is more ambitious good quality 11x14 FB print may cost 3-10 bucks, same size quality inkjet reproduction may run higher. In any case, there is no way to avoid costs. Costs in any form.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back