Been thinking about upgrading to the D750

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As much as I love my D610 there are a few things that have been bugging me since I've purchased it back in 2014. While I have no complaints of the performance, what I do have issues with is the lack of "flagship" menu options like being able to click OK button to check focus quickly or map certain buttons to do certain things, like for example, mapping the ISO to the record button in shooting mode to quickly change ISO without even moving the camera away from my face and there are other things that the D750 offers that the D610 just doesn't.

My assumption was wrong when I bought the D610, I thought that it having a full frame sensor it would have those options available, but I was flat out wrong.

It's a really tough decision, I just don't know if it would be worth all that hassle to buy another camera to gain these features, of course, I would gain more than just menu options. Better AF, ISO, lack of OLPF, ability to change aperture during video, the latter would make my life easier for sure.

Regardless, I'm comfortable with my D610 for the most part. But I feel like I'm ready for a change and as time continues to go by, the used prices of the D610 goes down and down and if I want to upgrade the time is now. The problem is the new price of the D750 is $1900 and I just don't think I'll be able to pull that off. I've seen used prices around $1400 which I can do. With the issues that I've seen the D750 have, I'm not sure if its worth risking buying used.

Or, should I just wait until Nikon releases a replacement for the D750?

Sorry if I'm all over the place, I'm just kind of letting my thoughts flow as I type this haha.

While I have no complaints of the performance, what I do have issues with is the lack of "flagship" menu options like being able to click OK button to check focus quickly or map certain buttons to do certain things, like for example, mapping the ISO to the record button in shooting mode to quickly change ISO without even moving the camera away from my face and there are other things that the D750 offers that the D610 just doesn't.

so basically you want like 3 lines of code added to the firmware :p

While I have no complaints of the performance, what I do have issues with is the lack of "flagship" menu options like being able to click OK button to check focus quickly or map certain buttons to do certain things, like for example, mapping the ISO to the record button in shooting mode to quickly change ISO without even moving the camera away from my face and there are other things that the D750 offers that the D610 just doesn't.

so basically you want like 3 lines of code added to the firmware :p

Yes, pretty much lol.

I wouldn't bother waiting for Nikon. I love Nikon but the company ha some weird priority and from what I've seen and heard from Nikon representatives I wouldn't expect much from the next D750

Just grab one. When I was shooting Nikon the D750 was a massive upgrade over the D610 for me. Not in terms of image quality but much better focus and all the functions that you want. Plus it feels way nicer to hold and the tilt screen is handy.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Nikon D750 Review For Wedding Photography - DIY Photography

Read this guy's opinion, and look up "Nikon D750 as wedding camera" on Google, and get a bunch of hits.

My advice: look for USED bodies at brick and mortar places like ProPhotoSupply.com, or KEH.com, etc.etc. Figure out wat body you want, and buy it, used.

If you want a 750 get a 750. The 760 will be more money.
The 750 is a nice evolution above the d610. More money for more options/features.

If you watch for special deals they may offer a free oem grip for it. They had that last year at certain times from various vendors. I know BestBuy also has it with 5 token free things (no grip though right now), and months to pay it off.

But used is always cheaper. Some of the ERR messages people get though are a bit unnerving.

Just do it.

The 750 is a nice evolution above the d610. More money for more options/features.

If you watch for special deals they may offer a free oem grip for it. They had that last year at certain times from various vendors. I know BestBuy also has it with 5 token free things (no grip though right now), and months to pay it off.

But used is always cheaper. Some of the ERR messages people get though are a bit unnerving.

That's what I'm slightly worried about. I have zero issues with my D610 and it would suck moving to the D750 and starting having issues. But then again, I know plenty of other people who don't have any issues.

Worrying about possible breakdowns is a really stressful thing.

That's what I'm slightly worried about. I have zero issues with my D610 and it would suck moving to the D750 and starting having issues. But then again, I know plenty of other people who don't have any issues.
The problem is all cameras have teething problems when they first come out.
If you buy new, then buy a new one and it should be past all those problems whether Canon or Nikon.

The Canon 7dm2 had (and may still have) AF issues. I'd hate to have that problem or get a refurbed unit with that issue. But then I'm curious if there are any statistics on issues related to AF based on OEM lens or a 3rd party lens.

A buddy here originally had a D3300 with no issues. Went to a refurb'd D7200 and had all sorts of focusing issues. has since changed again back to having no issues. I've been lucky with having no issues other than the D600 oil splatter issue. Then again I only have one non-Nikon lens which was heavily tested by it's previous owner for IQ.

If you like the features of the D750 then go up to it. But if you are only yearning for the features and don't really need them then stick with the D610. The d6x0 series is rock solid on features and functionality. There's not much difference going up to the D750.

What about refurb bodies directly from Nikon? I heard a lot had really good luck with those.

Nikon D750 is the most rounded camera in Nikon arsenal and can be had for reasonable money (everything is relative of course).
Its just good at everything, its not design to be the best at anything but over all it can do everything very well.
Love my D750!!!
I think the D610 is probably the best value FF camera in the market but I didn't want best value, I wanted FF camera with the 51 point AF system, when the D750 came to the market I got it on the first day.
Never regretted getting it

I think well kept used one or a refurbished one is a great choice for getting the D750

Nikon D750 is the most rounded camera in Nikon arsenal and can be had for reasonable money (everything is relative of course).
Its just good at everything, its not design to be the best at anything but over all it can do everything very well.
Love my D750!!!
I think the D610 is probably the best value FF camera in the market but I didn't want best value, I wanted FF camera with the 51 point AF system, when the D750 came to the market I got it on the first day.
Never regretted getting it

I think well kept used one or a refurbished one is a great choice for getting the D750

Yeah I'm going to keep this in mind. It's tough decision honestly, I really gotta think about it.

The D610 uses the same auto focus system from the D7000 (I think) from 7 years ago! I just kind of want the newer tech and the "flagship" features are pretty nice to have. Is it a necessity? Probably not.

If you do Bird In Flight and other super fast subjects that better AF systems will definitely be an improvement.

If you do landscape, weddings etc I think it's a wash.

The D6x0 AF system is the same identified system but for a FX to the D7000's - I had both and they operated the same. It was nicer depending what you AF on as it locked on targets that didn't have as much contrast as what the D750's AF system needs. Also for instance the D500 Pro DX AF system loves contrast but when it's not there it doesn't know what to do for something the D750 would do good at and the D600 would have no problem with. An example would be like a CanadianAir jet (which is all bright white paint scheme) flying across white clouds.

I think most of the improvement is the faster processors behind the scene to process the data faster. So newer tech will be better.

The D610 is the entry level FF camera which has features on par with the older D7000/7100.

but then many may just think of GAS.
lol
I've learned as I've moved up on bodies that I can do many things better with each iteration. If you do "still" subjects such as product photography, portraiture, buildings then it won't make much of a difference. If you compare the AF focus points from the low end to the high end there is a large difference, with more focus points having more accuracy; and faster processors for faster focusing, etc. It all gets better as you move up the food chain.

If you take someone that does BIF with a D500 and then give them a D3300 they'll kill you. A fellow photographer rented a 80-200/2.8 for his Sony mirrorless for an indoor sporting event. He was *finally* able to get images that he couldn't with his kit lens. And he knows without a FF he can't do lower/poor light indoor sports.

So sometimes the tech helps one move forward in their pursuits.
Plus a new toy every so often helps with the moral.

The crappy part is that I'd have to selling my D610 right now in order to have enough funds to buy the D750 and it would suck not having a camera for a while.

I mean you're right, for what I shoot I don't really need the super fast auto focus unless I was doing a lot of sports or wildlife.

But the faster processor and better customization is nice to have.

The funny thing is, the D750 is like 10g lighter than the D610, maybe its because Nikon used carbon fiber in the D750.

It's a really hard decision. I could easily keep what I have and make it work and instead of wasting money on another body, I can buy a flash or two or even another lens or two. I guess I'll have to figure out what would be more useful to me.

Most reactions

Back