Been thinking about upgrading to the D750

Yep, I that's a no go. The ONLY way to change ISO is via menu or the dedicated ISO button on the bottom left.

Bummer.

Maybe this is a good help for your ISO problem?

(might work, not sure)

I loved my D600. Wish I still had it. Though I really need a flippy screen when it's on my telescope. I cannot move the scope everytime it slews up and I cannot see the viewfinder/LCD. It's a 160lb telescope. I'm tired of moving with my bad back, readjusting it and recalibrating everything. That is *the main reason* I went to 2 cameras with flippy screens. My P7800 had it and spoiled me on the flippy screen; until then I wasn't much of an advocate of flippy screens. I would have bought the d5600 if it wasn't for an awesome deal I got on the D500 with flippy screen. The shoulder LCD helps too for scope use, though flippy screen makes it redundant.

The ISO button on the top right is very handy. But I also had the D750 and D600 and I was messing up pressing the ISO button on the lower left on the D600, even though before the D750 I had *no problem* doing this. Though using heavy lenses, as one holds the lens with your left hand it was annoying to lower the lens to change the ISO, then pulling back up. I was somewhat adept at using my right hand thumb to press the ISO button and rotating the dial.

So the ISO button on the D600 was annoying. You can set it to the top the the MY MENU and have a function button bring it up, but that was no solution for me. It's easier to learn to use your right thumb to press it and finger to adjust the wheel.

Early on, with the D7000 I bought one of those books that went over all the features and how to actually use them. The manual just tells you about them, but now how to use them and compare to other features. It was great to learn more and more about everything, each and every feature.

So I double the recommendation on obtaining a book on how to use it.
I recall many of your threads about doing stuff and not understanding all of the features. So I totally recommend a book about it.

The d750 is close enough to the D600 that many of those things you learn about will help on the D750.
It's a lot of money to switch bodies. Don't do it lately, and write down your requirements before you do it to make sure they are there on the new body. btw, Canon's had ISO button on the top right for a long time. lol

Nikon D750 is the most rounded camera in Nikon arsenal and can be had for reasonable money (everything is relative of course).
Its just good at everything, its not design to be the best at anything but over all it can do everything very well.
Love my D750!!!
I think the D610 is probably the best value FF camera in the market but I didn't want best value, I wanted FF camera with the 51 point AF system, when the D750 came to the market I got it on the first day.
Never regretted getting it

I think well kept used one or a refurbished one is a great choice for getting the D750

Yeah I'm going to keep this in mind. It's tough decision honestly, I really gotta think about it.

The D610 uses the same auto focus system from the D7000 (I think) from 7 years ago! I just kind of want the newer tech and the "flagship" features are pretty nice to have. Is it a necessity? Probably not.

The AF system in D750 blew my mind, to be honest any AF system better than AF system on D5100 will blew my mind, but I'll write you my little personal story about D750 AF system.

So, you already know. I've switched from DX to FX going from D5100 to D750 having only 50mm 1.8G lens (also used on DX)
There are bunch of differences between these cameras, but I'll count some of them which contributes to the story

- I have never got focus point lock lever, when I saw that I was wondering what is that lever for, but didn't read manual (HUGE MISTAKE)
- There is another lever for switching to video/photo Live View which is positioned below focus point lock lever, kinda close, D5100 had it on top of the body.
- There is a button on the left side in the middle of the auto/manual lever for quick change of focus mode or shooting mode depending which dial you are going to turn, D5100 has Fn button on the left side of the body in quiet similar position which I programed for quick ISO change in conjunction with main dial.
- Never before had 2 command dials

You are probably familiar with these functions but I wasn't, so the story begins.

My brother had birthday party (18 birthday) and he asked me, am I going to make some shots for him just to have any kind of record, which I normally accepted.
I saw an opportunity to test D750 high ISO performance because I knew there is going to be dim atmosphere.
Used gear:
D750 brand new, less than 200 shots
Lens 50mm 1.8G
Speedlight SB700

Kids gathered (approx. 40 of them) bringing presents for their friend (my brother) I've started to shoot, still good light condition so I tried some video recordings thus using that lever to switch into video mode.
Light condition gone dimmer, I'm shooting manual, changing shutter speed, aperture values, ISO erm... I'm looking for the ISO button. I've got used on the button from D5100 then I realized that I'm pressing the button in the middle of the focus lever and rotating main dial which doesn't change ISO but not knowing I have changed shooting mode from AFS-S to AFS-C.
Light condition gone even more dimmer, almost pitch black, only small lasers (disco ball laser head alike) illuminated hall. I was struggling to see subjects trough the view finder so I tried to utilize live view, without looking I have turned focus point lock lever to the "L" position which locked my focus point, of course I was unaware of that again.
Finally switched to the live view with proper lever and composed some over head shots, tested tilting screen as well.

Now I'm doing some casual shots but I'm noticing occasional focus hunt, it gets focus but took him a way too much time, there is almost no light available.
Then I'm noticing that I can't move focus point, it's stuck on the top/middle point (luckily) also I have noticed that my AF assist lamp on the SB700 doesn't work.
Kids dragging me to make shots, I can't see anything in the view finder other than silhouettes but I'm getting focus confirmation dot and I'm shooting and chimping like crazy for an hours...
Meantime checking is it AF assist lamp on the SB700 turned on, it is but maybe it's broken, God... what is happening, well okay I'll turn on in body built AF assist lamp, doesn't work either!
Good Lord!!! Is it possible that half of the camera suddenly broke and on top of it might kill SB700???
I was horrified, deeply depressed and disappointed. I though that I wasted my money....

Now kids took a brake to eat something and refuel for the rest of the night, I took my cell phone and googled "D750 focus point stuck" the first answer was "check your focus point lock lever, on L position it will lock focus point" God I was so happy when I discovered that lever was on the L position, moving lever down unlocked focus points.
But what is wrong with AF assist lamp? Quickly googled "D750 AF assist lamp doesn't work" the first answer was "in AFS-C mode, the AF assist lamp will be disabled" I was so happy when I discovered that I have changed shooting mode from AFS-S to AFS-C, when I revert it to AFS-S everything worked normal, even the AF assist on the SB700.
From that point till the end of the party I had total blast and joy shooting with D750 :D

Despite all of my mistakes the D750 AF system still managed to deliver damn sharp and focused images, which literally blew my mind how on the Earth it managed to do so well.
Yes, I've took some out of focus images but not completely out of focus like completely missed focus, wide open aperture contributed to that.

In conclusion for me as hobbyist photographer this good AF system is over killer :D

Also there are so many ways to customize button on D750 that will fit to almost every person needs.
I did assigned ISO to the record button after this story.
I have followed this video and took some settings from that video.

Last edited:
Yeah unfortunately there isn't any way to map any of the customizable buttons to the ISO on the D610.

So what I've been using lately is auto ISO, which most of the time, the camera does a fine job but there are times when it's confused by certain things and gives me a wacky reading, so I simply adjust the exposure comp to counteract that and the best part is that I dont have to take my hand off the lens to change ISO.

With a simple firmware update, Nikon could add the option to map the ISO button to the record button. But that's wishful thinking.

I only use single point AF most of the time and I usually have it locked in the center but from time to time I'll change it depending on what I'm doing.

Eh...I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a new piece of gear that I honestly don't need haha but damn it, I want!

I think my best bet is to depart from this forum and any online gear discussions, no more watching and reading gear reviews or listening to people's opinions and just go take photos.

If shoot DSLR, I'm an idiot. If I shoot crop, I'm an idiot. If I shoot mirrorless, I'm an idiot. If I shoot full frame, I'm an idiot. At the end of the day, I'm still an idiot no matter what! Lol.

^ Yes, You are right, in essential people should less worry about gear instead they should go out and shoot more.
The point with my previous post was. Just because of the awesome AF system it is worth moving to D750 let alone the extra ability to program almost every button on the camera.

I could send you my 12 year old camera for a week and then you will run back to your D610 remembering just how great it is. Sure you can upgrade to the D750, but then you might decide that you just can't take pictures if you can't go to 1/8000 of a second and you will have to sell the D750.

Heck, I've seen so many images from the D610 that have been saved from under and over exposure in post that it almost seems you can forget about trying to set some perfect ISO number.

And while the forum make take away from going out and shooting, it has inspired me today to do some more flower macros, BIF's, and of course Dan's challenge to do some face sculpting with light.

As much as I love my D610 there are a few things that have been bugging me since I've purchased it back in 2014. While I have no complaints of the performance, what I do have issues with is the lack of "flagship" menu options like being able to click OK button to check focus quickly or map certain buttons to do certain things, like for example, mapping the ISO to the record button in shooting mode to quickly change ISO without even moving the camera away from my face and there are other things that the D750 offers that the D610 just doesn't.

My assumption was wrong when I bought the D610, I thought that it having a full frame sensor it would have those options available, but I was flat out wrong.

It's a really tough decision, I just don't know if it would be worth all that hassle to buy another camera to gain these features, of course, I would gain more than just menu options. Better AF, ISO, lack of OLPF, ability to change aperture during video, the latter would make my life easier for sure.

Regardless, I'm comfortable with my D610 for the most part. But I feel like I'm ready for a change and as time continues to go by, the used prices of the D610 goes down and down and if I want to upgrade the time is now. The problem is the new price of the D750 is $1900 and I just don't think I'll be able to pull that off. I've seen used prices around $1400 which I can do. With the issues that I've seen the D750 have, I'm not sure if its worth risking buying used.

Or, should I just wait until Nikon releases a replacement for the D750?

Sorry if I'm all over the place, I'm just kind of letting my thoughts flow as I type this haha.
Upgrading is an option for certain. If you aren't certain whether there is enough value added to buy it at its current price... maybe rent it. You can get it for a weeks rental for $120. Not a bad deal to have it on hand and try out all the features you think will change your life. If, after a week of renting you love the camera and the features are earth shattering... some rental companies will let you buy the one you rented from them without returning it.
Nikon D750 Digital SLR Camera

Last edited:
Your d610 works? I'd be happy with that. The D750 really doesn't edge out the D610 in many ways. If you owned a nice used 600mm prime lens (say you got it for $6000), and somehow were on a budget, the D750 might be beneficial. Or, perhaps if you do a lot of long exposure photography, the D750's flip screen can come in handy since live view mode can compensate for a 10-stop neutral density filter & show you what your current exposure would look like (whereas the real viewfinder will look pitch black). The D750 doesn't even offer great video features, which, I think a prosumer would use more often than expected if it actually were useful (as-is, it just shoots 1080p and the video specs were dated on release).

Me? I wanted to edge out every bit of ISO performance for my 150-600mm lens, and get better focus accuracy for moving birds/etc. If I could get $500 + a D610 for my camera, I would (especially because I have warranty issues to deal with)! The cost of switching from a D610 isn't worth it.

As far as user interfaces and ease of use goes, DSLR's are equivalent to my old graphing calculator from 2005: Clunky, dated, much less than the tech could (and should) be. Upgrading from the D610 to the D750 is the equivalent of going from bad to less bad. As far as I see it, things haven't gotten much better yet with even 2016/2017 cameras.

What I'd like to see? A fully customizable program for your computer than you can hook your DSLR up to. For beginners have easy interface options. For advanced users, have if/then/else functions.

Example of what I'd like to pre-program for setting 1:
- I set the camera to custom setting 1. I set up setting 1 for shooting birds.
- Minimum shutter speed is set to 1/600 at 600mm, 1/500 at 500mm, etc.
- If ISO reaches 6400, open up the aperture. If the aperture is as bright as it can go, raise the ISO up to 16,000
- If ISO needs to be 16,000 or greater, lower shutter speed requirements by 25%
- If ISO still needs to be 16,000 or greater, shoot underexposed anyways
- ISO 1600 until shutter speed reaches 1/800 or faster
- ISO 800 until shutter speed reaches 1/1600 or faster
- ISO 400 until shutter speed reaches 1/2000 or faster
- Only three focus modes: Center focus, full 39-point, and 9-point (or some selection of 3 focus modes), so I don't flip through unnecessary modes when I'm switching quickly
- Exposure priority set to focal point

Lots of other stuff I'd love to see for all consumers (auto detect features, auto features of all kind that can benefit pros and prosumers and average joes alike), but the above is one feature I'd like to see for prosumers at least.

Last edited:
Sony A9 has a "big camera go now button", apparently

Nerwin ... wanna upgrade ... check out jcdeboever photo history. He went from Nikon to Fuji and since his move his images have exploded with success and in consistency. Granted, his Nikon may have been a lemon, but Nikon checked it out and said it was fine.

Okay, I'm throwing you a curve ball with Fuji ... and what are you gonna do with all your lenses ... and you're gonna take a beating switching systems. But JC took a beating dumping his Nikon stuff and he is so much happier. Look at Sony as well. Sony is doing some pretty good stuff for a schizophrenic company.

(There is a college photography professor in TPF who switched to Fuji for the lenses.)

You are so right about the switch. I am so happy, I could spit. The glass is fantastic, AF is fast and deadly accurate. I probably will be Fujifilm for the rest of my life. The focus peaking highlights, film simulation, ease of use, viewfinder, and firmware upgrades for bodies and lens are a snap and are beneficial.

I'm not a huge fan of Sony or Fuji cameras. They just aren't for me. I don't have any intentions of switching.

That's to bad, I think if you tried a Fujifilm XT2, you'd be stunned at the simplicity and image quality.

Nerwin ... wanna upgrade ... check out jcdeboever photo history. He went from Nikon to Fuji and since his move his images have exploded with success and in consistency. Granted, his Nikon may have been a lemon, but Nikon checked it out and said it was fine.

Okay, I'm throwing you a curve ball with Fuji ... and what are you gonna do with all your lenses ... and you're gonna take a beating switching systems. But JC took a beating dumping his Nikon stuff and he is so much happier. Look at Sony as well. Sony is doing some pretty good stuff for a schizophrenic company.

(There is a college photography professor in TPF who switched to Fuji for the lenses.)

You are so right about the switch. I am so happy, I could spit. The glass is fantastic, AF is fast and deadly accurate. I probably will be Fujifilm for the rest of my life. The focus peaking highlights, film simulation, ease of use, viewfinder, and firmware upgrades for bodies and lens are a snap and are beneficial.

I'm not a huge fan of Sony or Fuji cameras. They just aren't for me. I don't have any intentions of switching.

That's to bad, I think if you tried a Fujifilm XT2, you'd be stunned at the simplicity and image quality.

I've messed with the RAW files that camera, I just don't like them. I really enjoy how my Nikon NEF files process, it works for me. I refuse to switch editing software and I'm not using an external raw converter. I'm just not.

So what's the right thing to do? Ditch my full frame DSLR? Lol
Could be.

According to some reviewers the D750 is not as good as the D500.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back