Been thinking about upgrading to the D750

Nerwin ... wanna upgrade ... check out jcdeboever photo history. He went from Nikon to Fuji and since his move his images have exploded with success and in consistency. Granted, his Nikon may have been a lemon, but Nikon checked it out and said it was fine.

Okay, I'm throwing you a curve ball with Fuji ... and what are you gonna do with all your lenses ... and you're gonna take a beating switching systems. But JC took a beating dumping his Nikon stuff and he is so much happier. Look at Sony as well. Sony is doing some pretty good stuff for a schizophrenic company.

(There is a college photography professor in TPF who switched to Fuji for the lenses.)

I'm not a huge fan of Sony or Fuji cameras. They just aren't for me. I don't have any intentions of switching.

Nikon is trying to make their DLSRs smaller and lighter to compete in one sense with Mirrorless. Look at the D5600. They keep making it smaller and lighter. Now most of the camera is just the mirror box, AF box and pentamirror. The rest of the camera could nearly fit in a small billfold.

I've always been a proponent of OEM glass. I think there are situations where the 3rd party makers are making most of the lens system adaptable for multiple camera formats, and things go haywire from time to time as they design it to be versatile for different mounts. Thus the reasoning for the lens cap adjustment systems.

Whereas I've never had a focusing issue with any of my Nikon lenses. And only non-Nikon, my Tamron 150-600 was duty tested by CoastalConn. Albeit, I've really only had less a couple dozen removeable lenses over time (Canon AE1, Nikon N80, D70, D7000, D600, D750, D500) and since the D7000 I've still use lenses I bought back then.

I do like the mirrorless simplified AF system which is at the sensor, thus the same plane of focusing. thus less likely to have lens AF systems. Thus less time for the object to go OOF in relation to the time of the mirror to pop out of the way.

I'm still hopeful Nikon will have a really good mirrorless sometime compatible with the existing F mount lenses.

Otherwise the Sony A9 looks to be a pro DLSR killer D5/1DX
and the Sony/FujiFilms are eating up the APS-C segment.

So what's the right thing to do? Ditch my full frame DSLR? Lol

lol

I won't be doing that any time soon I have too much invested in 2 cameras, lenses, lighting stuff, accessories.

But I do know my "specialty camera" will probably be a FujiFilm/SONY. Which will get a foothold on that platform.

And truthfully there's only a couple mirrorless cameras I would buy. All newer, all higher priced. So I would have to sell, before I could buy. Something I'm not going to do at the moment.

I don't really have GAS. I'm just trying to solve some problems .. ie, Full Spectrum camera becz the yellow light the city put near my house messes up some astrophotography stuff. Plus I could play with FullSpectrum on other stuff too. But if I want full control of the light spectrum on my scope, then I'm looking at quite the investment in a rotary high quality filter system .. more than a camera cost.

You have shown a tendency toward buying, using, then selling off stuff. I totally 'get' the desire to have a new camera, I do. Over the years I've bought a bunch of d-slr models, as they became better and better, but now we're at the point where diminishing returns makes a new camera less and less of a net positive, and more of a lateral move.

I am going to suggest something that **might** improve the camera you already have: the Thom Hogan Complete Guide to the Nikon D600 and D610, Second Edition. Nikon D600 and D610 Guide, 2nd Edition | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

No, I am not kidding; It's possible that there are things you could be doing with the current body, to boost its effectiveness, I bought Thom's Fuji S2 Pro Complete Guide, and it was super-helpful. I learned some things, and used the S2 Pro more-effectively, and shot it for a couple of years, and made many, many good pictures with it. I feel like the majority of shooters really do NOT understand the various focusing system wrinkles, and tend to switch off and throw away 95% of the AF system's capabilitirs by using one,single AF point, failing to use the 4-way controlleer to initiate the first focus target, and just keep everything switched off except that one, single AF point, and ignore predictive AF, 3-D Color Tracking focusing, multi-point AF strategies, and so on.

I think you ought to spend $29.99 and buy this downloadable PDF format book, before spending $1450 to $1700 on a new body. Take a week to read it, and a month to practice with the current camera, and just see if it helps.

I do like Fuji cameras

You have shown a tendency toward buying, using, then selling off stuff. I totally 'get' the desire to have a new camera, I do. Over the years I've bought a bunch of d-slr models, as they became better and better, but now we're at the point where diminishing returns makes a new camera less and less of a net positive, and more of a lateral move.

I am going to suggest something that **might** improve the camera you already have: the Thom Hogan Complete Guide to the Nikon D600 and D610, Second Edition. Nikon D600 and D610 Guide, 2nd Edition | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

No, I am not kidding; It's possible that there are things you could be doing with the current body, to boost its effectiveness, I bought Thom's Fuji S2 Pro Complete Guide, and it was super-helpful. I learned some things, and used the S2 Pro more-effectively, and shot it for a couple of years, and made many, many good pictures with it. I feel like the majority of shooters really do NOT understand the various focusing system wrinkles, and tend to switch off and throw away 95% of the AF system's capabilitirs by using one,single AF point, failing to use the 4-way controlleer to initiate the first focus target, and just keep everything switched off except that one, single AF point, and ignore predictive AF, 3-D Color Tracking focusing, multi-point AF strategies, and so on.

I think you ought to spend $29.99 and buy this downloadable PDF format book, before spending $1450 to $1700 on a new body. Take a week to read it, and a month to practice with the current camera, and just see if it helps.

Ok. But the book isn't going to magically give me features the camera doesn't have that I want. I dont believe in magic lol.

I do not beleive in magic either, but I have learned from experience dating back to 2001 that sometimes there are camera features that remain unlocked, or unused, and that truly knowing how to use every last trick in the system can boost performance terrifically. For example, the 2005-era Nikon D2x has a simple, yet sophisticated, 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type squares, on APS-C; it autofocues BETTER by FAR on track and field than the D3x's 51-point AF system.

Same thing with the Fuji S2 Pro in wide-area AF....its "primitive"AF system can out-focus the D3x's higher-spec'd AF module on action work....if you know how to use the system.

If you've never read a Hogan Complete Guide, you might think it's just nore or less like the camera manual, but written by a native English speaker; it's more than that.

Not sure what exact features you want from the D750; can you re-program a Function button on your current camera to do a commonly-needed operation? What exactly is it that the one camera lacks that the other model has?

And are you really using **everything** that can possibly be used? Here's an example of what I mean, in this web article.

Ten Tips and Tricks for the Nikon D610 / D600

From a guy who ALSO wrote guide books to the D600 and D610. I dunno...it's possible that the D750 would make things easier for you. But I expect that the net picture quality will be close to the same from either body.

The picture quality should be the same since they share the same sensor if I'm not mistaken?

Picture quality wasn't part of the reason why I wanted to upgrade. Yeah, I wanted some pro features that are only available on the D750 and up. But like @Braineack said, 3 lines of code for $1700. It's kind of stupid now that I think about it. It's honestly not worth the hassle.

Oh switch to Sony or Fuji everyone tells me. I'm happy using Nikon. Lol

I agree...it might likely NOT be worth the hassle, especially if you could assign THE critical feature to the FUNC button,so with one button-press and a spin of a dial, you could say, adjust the ISO. I'm really not sure about what exact function or two you want to have faster access to...

And what about the Recent Items menu; do you have that configured so you can have your last (eleven?) items that were changed all in your Recent Items panel?

I dunno...there are different controls on different Nikons...the pro Nikons have the ISO and quality at the back of the camera on the BOTTOM LCD panel, AND also on the top deck...AND in the Rear LCD menu window, so there are three places to monitor/adjust the ISO on the outside of the camera, PLUS through the viewfinder!

Image quaklity between the D600 and D610 and D750 looks pretty close to identical to me: Superb! I am ALWAYS,always,always impressed with the studio and wedding shots I see from the 600 and 610 and 750: just a really nice sensor!

Personally, I think a used D3x at $1450 or a used D800 at $1495 is the smart way to go, in terms of the "machine" and what you get, machine-wise, for that amount of money. I prefer a slightly larger camera body than the D750, which feels smallish in my huge hands, but then again, smaller and lighter might be deemed better by many people! In the end, I'm not sure that the camera is as important as the shooter, but there are some nice things about the higher-spec'd bodies, like the view through the viewfinder, the control layout, and so on.

As far as I know, there is no way to map the ISO button on the D610. I hate where it's at right now.

You know, I'd have to look but I might be able to add iso adjustment to the top of "My Menu" and assign my function button to access that. But I don't recall seeing ISO in there.

Here's a quick video for how to assign the ISO setting for the side-mount FUNC cameras (the older bodies have the FUNC button on the front, right of the body)

What about refurb bodies directly from Nikon? I heard a lot had really good luck with those.
Refurbs are 10 pct off today!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back