Camera talk with Acquaintances, Family and Friends

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As soon as someone (typically an acquaintance at a party) finds out that you're into Photography, some people quite often try to talk about cameras.
How do you avoid that?

Funnier yet. Someone goes "so what's a good camera to get?" and you typically would offer advice like a camera that costs $500 or more. And they're like...oh...I was hoping to spend about $150.

and it's awkward all around.

Worse yet are the Canon & Nikon debates. Or the inevitable Sony user who feels left out.

How do you avoid camera conversations in real life?

I'm a recluse. I never leave the house.

j/k. I usually don't try to avoid such conversations. But if I can tell it's gonna get heated, I make excuses to leave.

I figure they just want to talk about their gear so I ask about what they have and what they use it for.
If they are not totally ridiculously wrong, I then change the subject.
Sometimes it boils down to me saying "That's nice." and walking away.
On rare occasions the other person is interesting and willing to share so that's great.

Short answer: I don't.

I don't mind discussing cameras. A simple "what's your budget" is a great place to start. Most people DONT know much about cameras and are looking for an "expert" opinion. I would probably just explain the options in their budget and let them decide which is the best choice for their needs. If it's a Canon vs Nikon vs Sony debate- I'll play (since I've owned them all) and I DO like a good debate. :giggle:

I figure they just want to talk about their gear so I ask about what they have and what they use it for.
If they are not totally ridiculously wrong, I then change the subject.
Sometimes it boils down to me saying "That's nice." and walking away.
On rare occasions the other person is interesting and willing to share so that's great.
That reminds me of the time a family friend was beating the drums about this big fancy DSLR he just bought and it turned out to be a D5200 and he was like asking me what I had.

really just don't get involved.

i usually carry a pic or two of my gawd-awful facebook selfies, with a few ghastly filters applied. After showing them, it's obvious my lack of talent. They usually shuffle away.

I make it politely clear that I like photographs very much but that the camera itself is of far less interest. Would they ask an artist about their brushes?

I used to sell photo/video gear a long time ago. I ask people who want a camera recommendation how much they want to spend, and how they hope to actually CARRY the thing. I then tell them to go online, see what's in their price range, then after they have a good idea, I tell them to go to Best Buy and to handle it, see it in the real world, and to BUY IT THERE--and to NOT buy it on-line. Internet buying is for people who know cameras and photo gear. I'm not afraid of conversations about gear. I usually end up telling people I don't know anything about specific models of small point and shoots or bridge cameras.

cell phones cost a lot more than $150 anymore.

This isn't anything photography specific; this is just life and being social and talking to others. Sure you're more "keen" than most - that's fine. I'm sure some of your friends could do the same as you are with regard to other things like cars, boats, sewing machines, beaniebabies etc....

You just learn to ask things like "Oh you want a camera, cool how much are you going to spend?" and the Canon VS Nikon VS Sony VS Pentax VS film stuff - well you remember that 90% of people are not really that serious about it. They engage in brand and format wars much like sports fans and their supported teams. It's only a very tiny number who are rabid hooligans.

cell phones cost a lot more than $150 anymore.
Yeah, once the initial excitement was over last year, I realized I paid about $800 for my iPhone 6+

I'm waiting for them to release an iPhone that can't actually phone people and want to see how long it is before people notice ;P

As soon as someone (typically an acquaintance at a party) finds out that you're into Photography, some people quite often try to talk about cameras.
How do you avoid that?

Funnier yet. Someone goes "so what's a good camera to get?" and you typically would offer advice like a camera that costs $500 or more. And they're like...oh...I was hoping to spend about $150.

and it's awkward all around.

Worse yet are the Canon & Nikon debates. Or the inevitable Sony user who feels left out.

How do you avoid camera conversations in real life?
Say, "I don't use a camera. I'm a conceptual photographer." They should walk away. If they don't, you should.

Most reactions

Back