Camera talk with Acquaintances, Family and Friends

Anyone who can't recommend a good camera around $150 doesn't know much about cameras
If you know a good camera for $150 you dont know cameras. Everything thats $150 is either a film camera or money burnt. The later is the case because your smartphone will make about just as good pictures.

Anyone who can't recommend a good camera around $150 doesn't know much about cameras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone can give me $150 to recommend a good camera. I'd do that every day of the week if I could.

Sent from MyOuthouse using ToiletPaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can barely think of any lenses I'd recommend that only cost $150, never mind a camera

If you know a good camera for $150 you dont know cameras. Everything thats $150 is either a film camera or money burnt. The later is the case because your smartphone will make about just as good pictures.

I disagree with this just as much as I disagree with the quoted comment.

So a $150 film camera is not a good camera?

And it's impossible to find a good digital camera for $150? You have to spend hundreds of dollars before you get to "good"? Define "good."

As soon as someone (typically an acquaintance at a party) finds out that you're into Photography, some people quite often try to talk about cameras.
How do you avoid that?

Funnier yet. Someone goes "so what's a good camera to get?" and you typically would offer advice like a camera that costs $500 or more. And they're like...oh...I was hoping to spend about $150.

and it's awkward all around.

Worse yet are the Canon & Nikon debates. Or the inevitable Sony user who feels left out.

How do you avoid camera conversations in real life?
Relax...and open up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Both of these statements are equally ridiculous because they ignore context. What is a "good" camera to me or you might not be a good camera to someone else, and vice-versa. If all you want to do is family happy snaps and "Okay kids, stand beside Goofy" vacation photos, then there are probably hundreds of <$100 cameras that are very good. On the other hand if you're shooting covers for Vogue, maybe not so much. As far as recommending any camera, particularly in the P&S category, there are simply so many choices, that I can't imagine there are too many people who could have enough knowledge of such a vast market to provide useful recommendations.

Everyone has a different idea of budgets and standards.
Just like one might ask what's a good watch. To some a Rolex or Grand Seiko is where it starts, to some a $10 Walmart special will do.

I have no clue why but every single time someone starts a photography conversation with me it is to boast about the gear they currently own or owned in the past, like they are trying to edumacate me on gear and photography, notably one guy who spouted the importance of a star filter when shooting lights because people love that!!, and one guy who asked me what Canon I had (60D) nodded, went uh huh, then went on to tell me allll about his Canon bridge camera, how awesome the zoom was despite the fact he can't get a really clear image out of it.... but look at how much it zooms! They never ask my advice, just want to tell me what they have/had. I usually do a lot of nodding, smiling and saying "that's nice" :)

Star filter? The 80s called and they'd like their Cokin back

When my GF is shooting an assignment she hates it when people try to come up and make camera talk or say mmmmm that's a nice camera or wow nice lens

The two conversations I tend to end up in (both gear)...

What brand of camera - "I shoot Canon because it's what I got and I got it for free. I wasn't going to argue." That's usually about as far as that goes.

Filters - The UV filter is so important for protecting the lens if you drop it. Twice I've had people tell how they dropped the lens, had to take it in to have the jammed filter ring removed, but the lens was 'just fine'. "I've never been into dropping my lenses so I've never had to worry about it." About the end of that one too.

I disagree with this just as much as I disagree with the quoted comment.

So a $150 film camera is not a good camera?

And it's impossible to find a good digital camera for $150? You have to spend hundreds of dollars before you get to "good"? Define "good."
a $150 film camera means you'd have to spend so much money on film and developing that you'll quickly end up spending a lot more.
Take a conservative $15 a roll on film cost+developing+printing+travel back and forth. After 10 rolls...a mere 240 images you'd be at $300.
If you shoot 1 roll a week, you're now at >50 rolls a year. $750 that could have gotten you a pretty alright digital camera.

I don't have a problem with people wanting to talk to me about photography, but generally I don't like to talk about myself. I get asked the usual question, "do I shoot weddings" When I mention sports, they are more interested, depending on how long we talk it starts to sound like I'm bragging about what I've done, so this is why i don't like to talk about myself. I know what cameras I use, I don't know much about anything else. If it's a friend and they are looking for something to recommend, I'll ask around and get back to them. Bottom line is, photography is what I do for a living and people find it interesting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back