Comparing Nikon shutter sound

Well, maybe a Cardinal or two, because they're just looking for reasons to distrust me. :D

They're always distrusting. Just look at the way they fly.

The best sound came from a Nikon F2/F3 with a motordrive ... a low frequency but still crisp clack then a whirl as the film advance ... clack-whirl at six times a second. What a sound.

If you want quiet get a Fuji X100T, absolutely soundless.

I never gave a rats ass about what the shutter sounded like or how loud it was in any SLR or DSLR camera I have ever owned.

Other much more important aspects about camera performance took precedence.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_O

I never gave a rats ass about what the shutter sounded like or how loud it was in any SLR or DSLR camera I have ever owned.

Other much more important aspects about camera performance took precedence.

Depends on what you are shooting. Lots of times I don't care either. But sometimes I have been told I have to stop shooting because my camera is too loud, which often happens with my Rebel which has a high pitched shutter noise. My more expensive bodies have a silent mode, which you can barely hear.

I mean shutter sound can mean some importance if you are shooting street and need some extreme quitness for being discrete, but even still...almost everyone will hear some sort of click.

It's always amusing when people talk about loud "shutter sounds" on SLRs. The shutter curtains hardly make any noise at all, the mirror slapping up and down makes all the racket.

My D700 is the quietest camera ever !!!!!! :bouncingsmileys:

When I am at a birth is the only time I have ever thought about my shutter noise. I have tried the quiet mode, but it doesn't seem to preform as well/fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I am at a birth is the only time I have ever thought about my shutter noise. I have tried the quiet mode, but it doesn't seem to preform as well/fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, quiet mode feels funny because it separates the mirror movement from the shutter movement. Mirror movement may be slightly damped as well. It sort of plops into place instead of smacking into place if that makes sense. The whole process takes slightly longer.

It's always amusing when people talk about loud "shutter sounds" on SLRs. The shutter curtains hardly make any noise at all, the mirror slapping up and down makes all the racket.
Okay Mr. Technical fancy smants.

Most reactions

Back