Just a Thought - Weddings Geeze .. Everyone can be a photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Jerry was trying to say is that the guy's a cookie-cutter wedding photographer. The shots he takes are stereotypical shots. They're nice shots, but they're shots that any wedding photographer who trained a bit can pull off. In Jerry's opinion, in order to be a "good" wedding photographer you need some originality and a distinct style (amirite?)

Don't turn Jerry's remarks into libelous remarks.

If people think they can do it without the proper knowledge/skill they will find out very fast when they present their "work" to a customer. It will work itself out, so why bother worrying about it?

Probably we worry about it, because we know Brides who years later are still upset about their wedding albums. Especially the ones who paid going rates for the area, then got terrible work. One "idiot" I know went as far as to copy the work of another Photographer for samples of "his" work. The bride expected to receive work equal at least to the quality of the samples.

She sued in small claims court and won.

But that did nothing to improve the trash she got for here wedding. To most Brides they never expect to have another Wedding. Every time they look at the album or copies of the pictures in friends homes they suffer emotionally and unfortunately that damage is never covered in small claims....

Well that is kind of harsh especially since it's just a matter of opinion. I don't share your opinion at all. Your comment made me go check out his wedding site and it's pretty darn good !!!!!

Really. That is your opinion and I respect it, however, I don't see the words "memorable", "incredible", "memorable", "unique" anywhere in your post, though I am sure they could be... given time, effort and desire. You basically echo what I say maybe in a more diplomatic way. They're nice, but nothing that would draw me to this person anymore than a thousand other low end wedding photographers. I think you need to do a little more research and see what some of the "better" and "memorable" wedding photographers are doing, then come back. Because your standards may be a little lower, they do not invalidate mine.

Let me just stop you right there so I can have a good laugh.

Ok, but you know that only makes you look ignorant, right?

My question to you is, how are you going to perfect your craft given the following quote I read the other day:

"From atop a 200 foot pole how does one step forward ?"

Are you quoting me? If so, it is a misquote as I said nothing like that. I do not place myself above others. As far as I am concerned, I care very little about what people think about me and I live my life by my rules and standards. I see my desire to learn and often my point of view or way that I do things as being superior for me than others methods. That pushes me faster to get to where I want to be sooner and/or sets my standards higher. If that offends or intimidates you, that has nothing to do with this thread, and you can PM me to discuss further, should you wish.

If people think they can do it without the proper knowledge/skill they will find out very fast when they present their "work" to a customer. It will work itself out, so why bother worrying about it?

Probably we worry about it, because we know Brides who years later are still upset about their wedding albums. Especially the ones who paid going rates for the area, then got terrible work. One "idiot" I know went as far as to copy the work of another Photographer for samples of "his" work. The bride expected to receive work equal at least to the quality of the samples.

She sued in small claims court and won.

But that did nothing to improve the trash she got for here wedding. To most Brides they never expect to have another Wedding. Every time they look at the album or copies of the pictures in friends homes they suffer emotionally and unfortunately that damage is never covered in small claims....

That is my whole point. "wanna-be wedding photographers" who do not care what they do to others, during a time that should not be about them, but about giving the bride and groom what they deserve... good quality wedding pictures that offer smiles and GOOD memories for decades.

I truly believe that these people should not only get sued but have a few punitive charges added for good measure like being obliged to make some kind of amends, perhaps even paying for the services of a true professional photographer to at least in some small way make up for their incompetence.

I bet that would weed out a TON of crap out of the industry.

I recognise that this is a 'hot button' topic and that views on it are strongly held, but so long as all can show a sensible level of respect for the views of all parties, then I'm not proposing to lock the thread, though a request for this has been received.

On the general thrust of the original question though, so long as the 'novice' wedding photog addresses their questions to TPF with a degree of humility and an enquiring mind, then there is no reason why they shouldn't have their question answered by those who are prepared to offer an informed response. I don't though, like to see them being used as a lightning conductor by those who've travelled a little further round the block.

Well that is kind of harsh especially since it's just a matter of opinion. I don't share your opinion at all. Your comment made me go check out his wedding site and it's pretty darn good !!!!!

Really. That is your opinion and I respect it, however, I don't see the words "memorable", "incredible", "memorable", "unique" anywhere in your post, though I am sure they could be... given time, effort and desire. You basically echo what I say maybe in a more diplomatic way. They're nice, but nothing that would draw me to this person anymore than a thousand other low end wedding photographers. I think you need to do a little more research and see what some of the "better" and "memorable" wedding photographers are doing, then come back. Because your standards may be a little lower, they do not invalidate mine.

Let me just stop you right there so I can have a good laugh.

Ok, but you know that only makes you look ignorant, right?

My question to you is, how are you going to perfect your craft given the following quote I read the other day:

"From atop a 200 foot pole how does one step forward ?"

Are you quoting me? If so, it is a misquote as I said nothing like that. I do not place myself above others. As far as I am concerned, I care very little about what people think about me and I live my life by my rules and standards. I see my desire to learn and often my point of view or way that I do things as being superior for me than others methods. That pushes me faster to get to where I want to be sooner and/or sets my standards higher. If that offends or intimidates you, that has nothing to do with this thread, and you can PM me to discuss further, should you wish.

Ok Jerry. My mistake. You have a very small ego.

I'd like to say that I posted up in march that I was shooting a wedding in may. I have no experience of shooting weddings, just studio work. I dont claim to "know what I'm doing" and tbh I was so scared at the wedding, wondering when I was gonna muck up their photos.

The bride I've known since I was a child, and me being her photographer came up in conversation like a year before the wedding as a joke; but in march she asked me if I was up for taking the photos still and I said yes, as a favour.
I was given alot of advice by TPF users, which I took into consideration, and a few people really had no faith, I wasn't experienced enough, I didnt have the lenses etc

I would rather the couple had 100-200 photos they could remember their day with, and not have to pay for them, than pay a fortune on an actual wedding photographer. I dont claim to be a photographer either, just love taking the right photos at the right time. The couple have one child under 2 and another on the way, money was already tight for them.

It's an experience I've learned from, and I know that I'll never do another wedding - ever! I'll just stick to my amateur stuff, my kittens, flowers, skies etc

I'm glad to say there was no-one trying to be "the" photographer with a P&S either, 2 other people had SLR's

Henry, I hate to burst your bubble, but I took the time to look at your website and wedding pictures. Ego is thinking you are "good" when the reality is... "you ain't all dat" and your pictures prove it. I am not saying your wedding pictures are bad, they are actually nice, but average, standard, and yes, even a little boring. You have a little more work to do before you would attain the leve of what I would call a good wedding photographer.

Care to post a link to your work? I can't seem to find one.

I never said I was "all dat". I'm a $2000 wedding photographer. Where does that fall in your neck of the woods? Most places that's on the cheap side. Where I live it's right in the middle: there are $800 wedding photogs and $5000 wedding photogs around here. I'm not the best, nor the worst. In over 300 weddings and many more portrait sessions I've had 1 complaint. Over 50% of my business is word of mouth. I've made 100% of my living from photography in the last 5 years. I'm proud of my work, and my clients are happy, and keep coming back.

Anyway, great to see that TPF is still a whiney ***** session. Keeps me from wasting my time here.

Anyway, great to see that TPF is still a whiney ***** session. Keeps me from wasting my time here.

^^That comment was not warranted. But I did check out your site Henry and I think you take good pictures. Everyone has their style. But what I feel is the determining factor on whether or not you are a "good" wedding photographer is this:

Good would mean if your work is pleasing to the Bride and Groom. This is assuming that the B&G have seen your work, (work which is legitimately yours and not stolen from others <-- as I think was in another post). We all want to satisfy all of their needs and provide them with a service that when they reflect years down the road, it will be of a photograph that was a direct representation of the ceremony, reception, etc.; they should by now, know our styles. Yes there are varying degrees of style, etc. But in the end I feel it is what the Bride and Groom were looking for. As for henry, obviously he's photographed many weddings, and I'm sure with many happy B&G and that's what I feel what counts. When you get that phone call that the B&G are happy and so glad that they chose you, you did your job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back