My choice but your opinion?

I love ot when it turns into a Nikon / Canon debate LOL - Nikon Nikon Nikon

I'm sure you will be happy with either the XSI or XS, but the guys who promote better lenses (glass) are right.

and neither company has ever dominated the market. the biggest market share lead either has ever seen in competing markets is roughly 10%. dominating the market would be at least a 50% lead imo.
I guess it's a matter of perspective, but most people would agree that Canon, early on, owned the professional market. The consumer market has always been a pretty even split. Canon ruled the photojournalist and sports shooter markets for several years until Nikon fielded truly competitive (some argue better) gear than Canon (D3 and D700). Until that point, Nikon went for years without even having a full frame camera on the market.

But let's not belabor the issue. My point was that Canon certainly is a major brand name. :) I don't think we need to turn this into a Nikon vs. Canon thread. So I'll drop it. :)

you're talking the beginning of the digital age when Canon lead the market correct? i wouldn't dispute that. but you're right, it's a matter of opinion on what someone defines as dominating a market. it was quite a long time before Nikon was able to compete, but they never really fell that far behind from a market perspective.

i think a nikon/canon discussion on the actual history is at least more interesting than the usual mine is better because i like it :)

and yes... Nikon or Canon we can all agree that the lens makes the difference. not the camera. as long as its a nikon...... j/k :D

Noooooo. My threads are always made into VS. threads. Haha. And this one is even only about canon!

I don't know the Canon line. I stick with name brands (Nikon). However, I agree with musicaleCA - go for glass. I'm still using 20-year old lenses but, during that period, I've replaced my camera body five times.

You have made little sense there...I understand the old glass, Ive used really old nikon glass, and its no different than my brand new nifty 50, only thing different is that they are manual focus, which isnt a problem...almost every other shot with my 50mm lens is manually focuses...the thing is horrible at focusing...

Well anyhoo, you imply that glass in more important then bodys, yet your camera body has been replaced 5 times....hmmmmmmm

To the OP, I would go with the cheaper camera, they are both rather similar, and the cheaper body will let you have more money for better glass, but then again, its not a HUGE difference, im not all to familiar with the canon rebels...but if the specs of the XSi are significantly better, and you feel its worth the extra bit of money, by all means get the XSi.

Yes. I say that glass is more important than bodies BECAUSE most of us keep the glass indefinitely. I'm more concerned about a purchase decision when I expect to keep the item for twenty years than I would be if I expect to replace it in three.

Manual focusing is a real bear with the focusing screens that are popular today. I really miss the split image that I had on my Honeywell Spotmatic. (Perhaps the split image exists with pro-level digital bodies but I'm strictly in the amateur category.)

you guys do mention glass but what's one to do with an L lens when its a crop body (not full frame) so i think both "a good lens and a good body" go hand in hand. otherwise you're losing out on the best of things either way.

you guys do mention glass but what's one to do with an L lens when its a crop body (not full frame) so i think both "a good lens and a good body" go hand in hand. otherwise you're losing out on the best of things either way.

unless i'm missing something... that's no different than me using my 70-200mm f/2.8 on my D90... way better than the 55-200mm f/3.5-5.6 on my D90

Sure, if you can afford both. Suppose you have to make a choice, what would it be?

Ok.. here is the usual Ford v Chevy debate. All I can say is give it up folks. Many many people have won awards with both brands, and I have seen good and bad from both.
Besides. Anyone with half a brain knows Canon dominates the field. Always have, Always will.

Sure, if you can afford both. Suppose you have to make a choice, what would it be?
i was just having a discussion with a PRO photographer at my work and he said the same thing about going with the glass rather than a better body.

Ok.. here is the usual Ford v Chevy debate. All I can say is give it up folks. Many many people have won awards with both brands, and I have seen good and bad from both.
Besides. Anyone with half a brain knows Canon dominates the field. Always have, Always will.
:lmao:

nice closure.

I guess it's a matter of perspective, but most people would agree that Canon, early on, owned the professional market.

A good number of pros switched to Nikon after the D3 was released, but... Canon still dominates the pro market. I don't think the NY Times is an exception:

The Equipment Question

Q. Thank you for taking questions. The New York Times has phenonmenal photography and it is great to see the face behind it. My questions are: What is The New York Times's favorite lens set? What is The Times's favorite camera?
— Michael Sanchez

A. Most of our photographers are equipped with 35mm digital Canon 5Ds, 5D Mark IIs, or Canon 1D Mark IIIs, or Mark IINs, with a variety of lenses from 14mm to 600mm. One photographer uses Nikon D3 Digital SLR cameras and Bill Cunningham, who shoots film only uses, a Nikon FM2. We also have Leica M8 Digital cameras and Leica M6 film cameras, Hasselblads, and Mamiya RZ67's — medium format cameras, all with a variety of lenses. In other words, the workhorse camera brand of the photographers is Canon, but they will use whatever camera and lens they feel will get the best result.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/22/business/media/22askthetimes.html

Most reactions

Back