Nikon D90 Will it be good enough for my needs

I'm a complete noob when it comes to knowing anything about photography. I've currently watched about 60 hours of tutorials on lynda.com for photoshop and know a great deal about retouching, creativity, color, and that type of art.

However, when it comes to iso and the other topics you mentioned, I'm all ears. If you have some articles to suggest for me to read, I would appreciate it. I know these topics are important.

Additionally, can you suggest a lens that is capable of achieving Senior portraits, weddings, and the others I mentioned. Obviously, I'm not going to be shooting weddings tomorrow. However, louisiana photography is done poorly, so I could.

I wouldn't worry about it being good enough, because by the time you are good enough to shoot weddings you will be wanting to change it for a better body probably full frame

The 18-200 is certainly not a professional lens. It's a decent "walk-around" or do-it-all kind of lens because of the wide range it has, but as a general rule, any lens that does so many things isn't great at any one thing.

You've got a lot to learn, practice, read, etc before you're even near a level of charging people for anything. Take it all in stride, learn as much as you can, and you might be there eventually. Like was mentioned, people come here all the time who know nothing but have the intention of shooting weddings or making money. That's why you've invoked the response that you have from some. For starters, go get yourself a copy of the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.
abother good book is Fundamentals of Photography by Tom Ang, it gives a good run up on all different subjects from WB to focus using light in different ways, also goes in depth on how your senser works to read the image, and how a lens focuses, i would recomend this book along with understanding exposure

yeah, I planed on asking more questions later about different subjects. I was not aware that I would get all kind of answers that were never asked, not to mention the completely obvious statements that were coming at me left and right. Some of you guys were cracking me up. However, some of you guys gave solid advice, so thanks for that.

Granted, you didn't ask the question "am I too much of a noob to get paid for X commission based job?" But it was pretty obvious you "would like to start shooting weddings, senior pictures, and portraits of all types in the future." What we were trying to do is say HOLD OFF COMMISSION BASED WORK if you are unfamiliar with what you are doing. Sound advice. This is what happens when every new person that comes to the forum and posts a thread that says "I am a complete novice photographer, but I want to get paid to shoot weddings. What aperture/iso/exposure settings do I need for a wedding?" As if there's some kind of end all answer to that question. There isn't. Just like there isn't a wedding "lens". There are a few good lenses with worthy zoom capabilities and large apertures. But I can see, as we were "cracking you up". That you obviously are extremely informed about everything we were saying up to this point, and you should just buy a Hasselblad H4D and go do professional fashion photography because you are obviously a photography wizard.

Holly **** man, You are making some major assumptions. Just because I asked the question that I did, does not mean I plan on getting the camera tomorrow and asking everyone for their money where I can take their picture at their wedding. I never said anything about getting paid. I am not acting like I know everything. What I am acting like is quit making assumption and just try to answer the question that I ask and refrain from answering something I'm not talking about. My advice to you is to learn how to read and understand questions. You are cracking me up because you continue to state the obvious about not trying to make money on something you do not know how to do. NO S H I T man. Seriously, how many times do I have to tell you that I know this. Again Please try to refrain from telling me the obvious, you could be doing something more productive with your time. Sound advice. I have a feeling your not capable of understanding this. Prove me wrong.

With that being understood. My question is what is a professional 18-200mm lens. Around what price range am I looking at. Before I get millions of post saying start off with a cheaper one at first, I'm fine with starting off with a higher end one. Essentially what makes a lens lower, middle, upper end. I ask because kmh said For professional quality images would would want to get professonal quality lenses.

For everyone who has given me an article to read, I appreciate it. Thanks for your time and advice.

Try to answer like gardy this man has some skills when it comes to answering questions. I will check it out. THank you the recommendations too

The 18-200 will never be a pro lens it is a do it all master of none lens, i would not entertain it, for weddings you need to be looking at 50mmF1.2L,85mmF1.2L,70-200mmF2.8L, 24-70F2.8L

I'm a complete noob when it comes to knowing anything about photography. >>SNIP>>> Obviously, I'm not going to be shooting weddings tomorrow. However, louisiana photography is done poorly, so I could.

So, Louisiana photography is done poorly, so you could compete in the market...a fair enough statement. But, news flash for you Seth--there is HORRIBLE photography being done all across North America. And in Europe. And in the UK. Case in point--my niece and her fiancee had some engagement pictures done by a woman who advertises herself as a 'professional photographer' on Myspace. The woman who made the shots is a typical shoot-and-burn newbie. Shoot photos, burn to CD, collect check from client, hand over CD with images on it. Lots of images. HORRIBLE images, with no artistic flair, and lower technical standards than my friend Steve gets with his old Fuji 3800 Point and Shoot.

Just one thing to think about: some point and shoot digicams, like the now old 3.8MP FUji 3800 do pretty darned good fill-flash work in bright sunlight and in the even trickier dappled sunlight coming in through trees; the shots this Myspace "professional" took of my niece and her fiancee were mostly in dappled sunlight,and they were shot with a Canon 40D and the results looked like flat-out crap. So, keep in mind that a **good** digicam might actually be a valuable tool for you when you need to shoot what are called social photography situations, especially those where there is dappled sunlight coming in through trees, or mixed sun/shade situations. And yes, I am being serious here: a few years ago, there were a number of wedding pros using higher-end Minolta and Sony digicams for professional work. For parties,receptions, anniversary parties and that type of thing, when people want grip-n-grin type shots, 3- and 4- drunk guy shots, and best friends eating hot dog shots, consider that a high-end digicam might actually help you, especially if you use it with an ancillary flash and a flash diffuser.

There's a lot to learn. I think books, rather than articles, might be the best way to learn. Good luck to you.

Try to answer like gardy this man has some skills when it comes to answering questions. I will check it out. THank you the recommendations too

yea i had both of those books long before i had the money for a DSLR, but by the time i did i had done enough reading that i had a good start, granted i think the best way to learn, besides from taking classes from a pro maybe, is to just get out and shoot, see what works and what doesent, maybe contact a local pro photographer and ask if you can sit in on some sessions once you have a grasp of the basics

OP = Dime a dozen.

Learn how to elaborate on your posts if you don't want people to assume you're going to do dumb things (much like the dumb things we made it explicitly clear that you shouldn't do). I've CLEARLY been involved with photography for a longer time than you have. Seeing as how you haven't taken the first step in getting involved with photography (i.e. purchasing a camera). So that soap box you are standing on; you can get down from that now. No one here can read your mind, so we told you what not to do. Ever heard of covering all the bases? Okay, good. Stay in school.

Use the search function. Don't do commission based photography. Read "Understanding Exposure". Read reviews on the lens that you posted. Learn something about photography.

That's the most concise reply with all the pertinent information that you need.

/thread.

Did you miss my post, or just mark it off as not being what you wanted to hear? There is no professional 18-200mm. The quality in a professional lens will not allow for such a wide zoom range. What makes a pro-level lens is quality. Build quality, quality of the optics, the aperture, etc. If you want a professional lens that's got the reach of 200mm, you'll be looking at Nikon's 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII which is about $2,400 (or the VR which you can find used for around $1,800).

If you take everything that everyone says so seriously, and attack each person who gives you a hard time or says something you disagree with, you're not going to last long here or on any other forum. Take responses with a grain of salt and get what you can from them. Move past the rest.

I'm really interested in photoshop. I've been watching tutorials the past two weeks and it seems to me that the art is really done in photoshop. I know that taking the pic matters, but i see alot of pics that are bad go into photshop and turn out wonderful. Do all you guys use photshop or no?

Whoever told me the lenses to look at and the sizes, thank you. That is what I was looking for. Is there anyway you could suggest a really good lens in those sizes?

Here are some of the photos I took when I could care less about photography and photoshoped them last night. I know they are not incredible and there are obvious flaws but it was my practice. These photos go far beyond what is pushed in in my area of louisiana. Does that mean I'm going in to business tomorrow, No.

So, if anyone wants to recommend what lens is a high end lens or a medium end lens in the measurements that gs gary recommended I would appreciate it.
sethhandsinsky.jpg

keywestleg2.jpg

OP = Dime a dozen.

Learn how to elaborate on your posts if you don't want people to assume you're going to do dumb things (much like the dumb things we made it explicitly clear that you shouldn't do). I've CLEARLY been involved with photography for a longer time than you have. Seeing as how you haven't taken the first step in getting involved with photography (i.e. purchasing a camera). So that soap box you are standing on; you can get down from that now. No one here can read your mind, so we told you what not to do. Ever heard of covering all the bases? Okay, good. Stay in school.

Use the search function. Don't do commission based photography. Read "Understanding Exposure". Read reviews on the lens that you posted. Learn something about photography.

That's the most concise reply with all the pertinent information that you need.

/thread.

I like you man. Your a good laugh!

Listen keven don't tell me what to do you mother **********. Nah man I'm kidding, I did miss your post or maybe you elaborated the second time you posted and I payed more attention. Either way, thanks for posting what you posted, It makes sense to me now. Also thanks for being specific and showing me a lens.

I do as little as possible in photoshop, get it right in camera, i think if you put **** into photoshop **** comes back out with a bit more color and sharpness

i have used photoshop and lightroom just playing around and to add high contrast to a few shots, im trying to keep it simple, imo i would rather take the photo and have it come off the camera with the least amount of editing possible, ide rather my photography skills be better than my photoshop skills:p

Most reactions

Back