Nikon unveils 24.5MP D3x digital SLR

Oh it will sell for sure.. but to a very small tight market. The Canon equivalent is also 8G's and it sells.

I already have a couple terrabytes of RAW files. I cannot imagine playing with files double the size... lol
How many hard drives do you have? lol

I'll reiterate something I said in a different thread: if you have to crop, why didn't you just make your composition right in the first place?
Maybe your zoom isnt quite long enough and you want to zoom in closer with a crop? :)

What good does 24 megapixles do? Isn't there some kind of limit to how well you can see or print a picture?

someone is not very happy:

http://www.bythom.com/nikond3xcomments.htm

I don't follow Nikon enough to really pass judgment on the review - its a little overnegative for my tastes, yet it does raise a lot of good questions that should be answered and also does help put things into perspective

So the first half of his negative review is because he thinks that the camera should have come out sooner? I stopped reading at the point where he said 'The D3x simply is not different enough from the D3'. That is a clear clue that he has no idea in the slightest what he's talking about. Different sensor = different board design = different methods of reading data = different methods of processing = different chips = more testing from the ground up = a long design process.

I'm not sure what he's beef is but the first half of that review is utter crap.

/EDIT: I went back and read the rest of it too. I like his conclusion about "serious amateurs'' who want a D700x at Canon 5DmkII prices. Even though from the looks of this thread I think his conclusions are wrong. Although a D700x would be nice. The D700 would come down in price even further :)

Last edited:
The D3 has fallen $750 since it's release and the D700 has fallen $550 in the 2 months since it's relase. Those are substabtial drops already... but you know prices ALWAYS come down. If you wait long enough, you will get a new D700 for under $1800... 6 months after the D800 comes out. ;)

The D3x is a totally different animal and will not affect D3 pricing at all.
Agreed. I'm pretty fussy though, I won't buy the D700/800 for the issue of size. I really like the vertical grip, but on that size body it becomes much more cumbersome. And mounting to a tripod with the grip attached always made me very nervous - quite a weak spot, but really only a concern if your tripod falls over. It happens.. :lol:

I'll reiterate something I said in a different thread: if you have to crop, why didn't you just make your composition right in the first place?

I take you've gotten cozy with a tiger in the wild, just to get that perfectly framed shot?

-JD-

have you any idea how much those things cost!?
or how heavy they are!?

Heck most people can't be beyond a 400mm f5.6 in price - an 800mm is just way out of some people pockets ;)

How many hard drives do you have? lol

Just a couple?

- An 18 terrabyte SAN (40 X 1 TB drives there)
- A 2 TB worldbook (2 X 1TB setup)
- A 1 TB worldbook
- A 4 X 1 TB RAID5 setup in one computer (3TB total)
- A 4 X 512gb RAID 5 setup in another (1.5TB total)
- A storage server with 1.5 TB temp storage.

That's just for my personal stuff. I have a 12 computer network downstairs for my work related needs.

Yes clearly it makes sense to buy a longer lens for the isolated case where you need more reach. Obviously it's always better to get the composition right in camera, etc etc, but to say that cropping is not ok period seems to me silly. If you only ever photograph exactly what you wish, just for fun, then it's understandable, but this camera is not really aimed at the casual amateur market.

Just a couple?

- An 18 terrabyte SAN (40 X 1 TB drives there)
- A 2 TB worldbook (2 X 1TB setup)
- A 1 TB worldbook
- A 4 X 1 TB RAID5 setup in one computer (3TB total)
- A 4 X 512gb RAID 5 setup in another (1.5TB total)
- A storage server with 1.5 TB temp storage.

That's just for my personal stuff. I have a 12 computer network downstairs for my work related needs.

Wow, I thought TB was a lot, it looks like they need to start producing petabyte storage devices for you.

i think if ford put that mustang on sale, they wouldnt have any problems.

I'm gonna fall on the side of Thom Hogan and Mr. Rockwell and say that compared to the introduction of the D3 and D300, the D3x existence is; well it's something. Someone will buy this, because well they just HAVE to have the BEST (and will still be producing the same old bird photos) - but really all you really are paying for is an increase in resolution and crop performance. As he says - is that worth 3000 more bucks, especially compared to the 3000 dollar A900?

And, technically speaking, this is off the top of my head, isnt there little difference between 24MP and 20MP, as opposed to 10MP and 6MP?? Like, the larger the resolution, the smaller the "jump" in quality from MP to MP? Like you need a lot more MP to make a 20MP image look a lot better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back