Question on proofs

Straight out of camera shots are not always suitable for showing as proofs...You are the photographer...you present to the family what you are proud of. If they don't like it...they can go elsewhere next time!

When I shoot family portraits - After the sitting, I run all the images through as a slide show for the client to see. I tell them the idea is to see the rough results and make sure we've not missed anything.

I've had times when after the review, I wanted to try something different or another pose. The review also gives me a chance to indicate files they won't see like the out of focus, closed eyes or other misses.

When the proofs are posted on their web page, they know what to expect and there are no surprises. I also advise them that proofs are simply that - proofs, not finished product. Then I talk about what work is performed to prepare files for final prints showing the value of a pro studio. Hope this helps??

Excellent discussion for sure. I think I can see where you guys are coming from.

I neglected to mention that I am not a retail shooter. My clients are basically art directors and models. Reviewing images for my clients and I is a process that is very well understood. The polished image and wow factor are very calculated.

The retail field does need instant gratification and you get extra credit for immediately providing that. None the less consider my train of thought as a more economical and user friendly approach.

Love & Bass

Showing the client the pictures right away can save time and money though.

You dont have to schedule a time to show them the pictures in person, and you get to skip the online proofs which is good because its easier to get extra sales when your with them helping them decide. And you may have to wait a while for them to get the time to check the proofs and place the order, so the turnaround is faster.

You only process the images that were purchased and any others you think are worth processing incase they decide to purcahse that one.

Just a couple thoughts.

Once again, thanks to all for your opinions and information on your processes. It's so interesting to see how many different ways there are to handle the proofing process!

We recently did another shoot with our new contract and streamlined proof process and the results have been promising. Of course it went smoother when everyone knew what to expect!

As an update, the original group is starting to place their orders and we're looking at a pretty good profit, so that's a relief. The "crazy customer" who wanted all the proofs was happy with our compromise of additional proofs and a sincere apology for the miscommunication. We'll see...

Thanks again for all your support and ideas. It's so nice to be able to collaborate with others in similar situations.

Here is what I would do as a compromise and to try to both retain customer service and at the same time keep your integrity. First, add a clause to your contract ( but thats a given ).

Next, I would explain your stance on how you only show the most professional pictures and not the out-takes. Plus the amount of time it would take to edit every outtake would really not be efficient if they wanted to recieve their good pictures in a timely fashion. However, since you did not cover your bases before hand, I think for customer service reasons, you should be flexible and take this as a learning experience. I would tell them that if they wished to see the outtakes, they would need to make an appointment in person to sit down and see them. That way there is not printed or digital copies or poor work with your name on it floating around from family to family. If you explain that you do not want subpar work being circulated in your name, then perhaps they will understand needing to come in to see them. Also, the inconvenience of that might deter them from ever coming to see them. When you tell them this though, maybe pic the most terrible outtake that is clearly not just sloppy photography but closed eyes, over exposed, etc. etc. and send just that one pic as an example of what you are meaning.

I would also delete any good pics that are just duplicate poses, so that they do not see those in your group of outtakes and ask you to edit those not realizing that they are near duplicates.

If you spin this correctly, you can reference your website statements and the pre-shoot meetings and tell them your stance, but then make the solution look like you are really giving them special treatment. You could turn this into them walking away and saying, "WOW I really felt like I got good personal service there " Not only because you are bending your own rules a little, but once they see the terrible outtakes they will see that you are honest and trustworthy and have their best interests at heart, not just your bottom line. ( even if that is sometimes total BS. )

Thats just how I would handle it. I mean, clearly these people were expecting something else. As much as you hate to admit it, it was your goof on the contract, so you should have to dig your way out of it. I think this would be the best way to handle things.

I guess I should have read first that the problem is over with. Oh well. :)

I guess I should have read first that the problem is over with. Oh well. :)

lol.... No big deal. Other people will read this and learn from our mistakes.

Update:
The "crazy lady" who wrote the email was apparently so impressed with our quick responses, honesty, and compromises, she's asked for business cards to give to her friends. Hopefully it's not as a "watch out for these people"! :lol:

We're fulfilling orders now and will then be running solely under our new contract - can't wait. Thanks again for all the advice and discussion!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back