T1i and the T2i

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RambleOn92, Jul 21, 2010.

1. RambleOn92

RambleOn92 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am just curious to hear the thoughts/opinions on the Canon T1i and the Canon T2i. I am really liking that the T2i is 18 megapixels but I am wondering which would be a better buy over all?

2. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D90

3. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    besides the Megapixel, T2i also has a better video. Everything else is the same I think. 15.1 MP to 18 MP is not really a huge jump. Pretty much the T2i is about 9% wider in terms of megapixels.

4. emh

emh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't be misled by the megapixel counts. For the size of sensor in these cameras (APS-C), once you go beyond 12 megapixels or so, the benefit of adding more pixels seems to be negated by the increased noise introduced by each pixel not getting enough light (especially in low light situations).

T2i is better than the T1i because it's newer, not because it has more megapixels.

As for the better buy, I agree with supraman -- D90 :D

5. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    What's up with these lame Nikoners trying to steal Canon pledges? Booooo! Canon is cooler! Plus we have hot Canon users too ^^^^^^^^^erose^^^^^^^^^^^

6. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cuz they're loosing members to us Canon Team :lol:

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Canon and Nikon have pretty much the same dSLR market share at about 38% each.

That means the remaining 24% is split up among:
    • Olympus
    • Sony
    • Pentax
    • Fuji
    • and the rest
    As emh alluded to, by cramming more pixel onto a sensor, pixel size gets smaller, and noise increases because the signal-to-noise ratio gets worse because smaller pixels cannot capture as much signal as larger pixels.

Consider then that Canon doesn't care about that, because they know people think "more is better", and push the MP count to market their cameras, not make better images.

8. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D90 has no autofocus in movie mode, that's my only complaint.

Not trying to start a holy war :hug::! there isn't much difference between the 2 t2i and D90 so just remember to keep your options open. Unless of course you have canon lenses then there is no point in switching.

9. emh

emh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There seems to be a witch hunt going on here... except the folks with the brooms are doing the hunting :greenpbl: ;)

For someone who cares about video, T2i is the obvious choice. But for stills, the D90 has a better set of controls and a few extra goodies like built-in wireless flash support and in-camera chromatic aberration correction.

I'm tempted to throw out some cfusionpm-bait and bringup the superior DxOmark scores of the D90. :lol:

Oh, why the heck not... here goes: comparison of D90, T2i (550D) and T1i (500D)

10. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a 7D with the 18 megapixels and that was actually a negative point when deciding between the 7D and other cameras. I would so much prefer a 12 mp sensor on the 7D... I have no clue why Canon chose to go the high mp count. Good on Nikon for going the high ISO route.

11. RambleOn92

RambleOn92 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why do you prefer a 12 mp sensor over the 18 ?

12. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    More megapixels typically mean that you can crop tighter, make bigger prints. However, the more you pack pixels on a sensor, the smaller these pixels are. The smaller these pixels are, the less they can receive light and therefore have a crappier signal to noise ratio...ie the worse they perform at high ISO in low light.

This is why a full frame body, which has a bigger sensor, is handling low light and high ISO much better and gives a cleaner, less noise image at higher ISO

Why would I prefer 12mp over 18mp on the 7d? 12mp is more than enough for what I do and to make big prints. The way I shoot is that I try and get things in camera nice and how I want, which limits the cropping and other processing I do.