Urban Outfitters Should Be Ashamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't "hipster", this is "low-fi", though both are based firmly on the principal of something comes out the back of a male cow.

Both are excuses to avoid putting any effort or imagination into photography and letting the camera spew out random garbage based on whichever direction it's pointed.

From a business stand point, the guy/gal who SOLD those crappy pictures and PROFITED is a genius.
People with less-than-zero talent, lots of luck and good connections are more commonly-known as "hacks".

Its all about hardwork and determination. I swear, all these American Idol, instant star style shows have gone to people's head and have remove any type of work ethic.
This forum should have a reputation system, because you deserve some of the positive variety.

Today 24,000 children in this would will die.
Today 70,000 people of all ages will die today.
Today over 20, million animals will die as food, from abuse, as unwanted animals as well as from the natural cycle of nature.
Today there are 38 wars of all kinds going on in this world.
Today 1,871 women will be raped in the United States.
Today over 3,000 people will be diagnosed with Cancer in the United States.
Don't even start with this cockamamie argument. Some people are wired to be law enforcement, some are to be doctors or medical researchers and some are to create artwork. Using self-indignant statistics to guilt people into entering a field in which they have no interest, passion or natural ability will get humanity nowhere.

Last edited:
From a business stand point, the guy/gal who SOLD those crappy pictures and PROFITED is a genius.
People with less-than-zero talent, lots of luck and good connections are more commonly-known as "hacks".

I don't know... business is a very difficult talent to develop and capitalize on...

The whole point is to sell a service or product that someone is willing to provide a profitable margin. Sure looks like someone did...

Here's what I read in your rant:

Omg, this person like totally didn't use the rule of thirds, the general exposure rules and posing rules. Her exposure was like totally a stop lower than it should be. She totally needed to do this to meet my expectations, which she totally failed at. OMG! What a bad photographer! I want to look at the same crap day in and day out and never look at anything different.

It's called being creative... and sadly enough, setting trends. I don't necessarily love it, but the photographer in question obviously got the shoot, got published and probably made a healthy dime off the whole thing. When was your last commercial shoot? When was the last time you weren't imitating someone else's work?

Learn to see beyond the basic rules of photography and think differently. Then you might respect other photographers for doing the same.

Omg, this person like totally didn't use the rule of thirds, the general exposure rules and posing rules. Her exposure was like totally a stop lower than it should be. She totally needed to do this to meet my expectations, which she totally failed at. OMG! What a bad photographer! I want to look at the same crap day in and day out and never look at anything different.

It's called being creative... and sadly enough, setting trends. I don't necessarily love it, but the photographer in question obviously got the shoot, got published and probably made a healthy dime off the whole thing. When was your last commercial shoot? When was the last time you weren't imitating someone else's work?

Learn to see beyond the basic rules of photography and think differently. Then you might respect other photographers for doing the same.

First of all, I'm surprised at myself for even RESPONDING to this post because it is beyond ridiculous on so many levels (one being the way you mock my intelligence, who the hell do you think you are to do so? You don't know me, so don't assume that you do in any way.) Secondly, if you want to call that photo shoot that I posted and was ranting about "creative", then that says a lot about your own personal style. Third. Once again, you don't know me, so don't even attempt to pretend that you know what photographers I respect, follow, and/or study. Your entire post has proven to only make yourself look uneducated and unprofessional.

Seriously, how many times a week do we see a new member either start a thread or hijack a thread, make a purposely inflammatory statement and turn the forum on it's collective ear for pages after? The best thing you can do in these threads is simply not respond. And I am regretting this post already. And no, I did not click OP's link.

And once again... my apologies (in the most sarcastic way possible) for starting a thread on an open forum for people to discuss and rant and rave about. But I certainly agree with you... I regret that you made your post, as well.

And once again... my apologies (in the most sarcastic way possible) for starting a thread on an open forum for people to discuss and rant and rave about. But I certainly agree with you... I regret that you made your post, as well.

There's nothing to discuss, rant or rave about. A rant is a personal thing. You rant to cleanse yourself of anger, frustration, negativity, whatever. What you posted on your blog should have been enough, but instead you joined a forum to share your rant, assuring us "it's worth it", and I'm sorry, but, no it's not. You're obviously incensed over what you see as an abomination in marketing, but you don't seem to understand that most of the people here don't share your level of indignation. When I saw the pics, I said "meh" and moved on. Wal-Mart has become the largest retailer in the world by peddling crap. I don't shop there, but I don't rant about people who do, because I don't care how or where they spend their money. That's their business.

All you have done here is start another Canon/Nikon, Ford/Chevy type debate. What you have found is most of the people here don't agree with you because they are too busy working on their own art to be concerned with what anyone else is doing and getting paid for. This seems to upset you, and we now have pages and pages of snarkiness.

Before you reply with something along the lines of "I don't know you", you're right, I don't. But I know two things: Human nature and forums. I don't know how many forums you belong to, or how long you've been involved with forums, but a post like this shows either 1) a genuine lack of understanding of the s**t storm a thread like this causes, 2) you're a crusader trying to convert the world to your way of thinking, or 3) you're fully aware of what threads like this do and you're a troll.

Have a nice weekend. I mean that.

There's nothing to discuss, rant or rave about. A rant is a personal thing. You rant to cleanse yourself of anger, frustration, negativity, whatever. What you posted on your blog should have been enough, but instead you joined a forum to share your rant, assuring us "it's worth it", and I'm sorry, but, no it's not. You're obviously incensed over what you see as an abomination in marketing, but you don't seem to understand that most of the people here don't share your level of indignation. When I saw the pics, I said "meh" and moved on. Wal-Mart has become the largest retailer in the world by peddling crap. I don't shop there, but I don't rant about people who do, because I don't care how or where they spend their money. That's their business.

All you have done here is start another Canon/Nikon, Ford/Chevy type debate. What you have found is most of the people here don't agree with you because they are too busy working on their own art to be concerned with what anyone else is doing and getting paid for. This seems to upset you, and we now have pages and pages of snarkiness.

Before you reply with something along the lines of "I don't know you", you're right, I don't. But I know two things: Human nature and forums. I don't know how many forums you belong to, or how long you've been involved with forums, but a post like this shows either 1) a genuine lack of understanding of the s**t storm a thread like this causes, 2) you're a crusader trying to convert the world to your way of thinking, or 3) you're fully aware of what threads like this do and you're a troll.

It's so interesting to me to find so many people constantly trying to belittle me for having my own opinion. It really is remarkable. If anything, it's shown me what the majority (not all, but a lot) of the people who check these forums are really here for... simply to put other people down.

Bottom line, if you don't like a thread, don't post in it. Simple as that. This is my last post in this thread because this is getting ridiculous. I posted to share something (just like anyone else, yet somehow it's okay for them, but not for me to do so) and this has turned into consistent personal attacks against me. You want to make comments about my professionalism, but take a moment to listen to yourselves, first.

Gypsey, I enjoyed reading your rant -- it was amusing. You certainly are entitled to rant and rave just like anyone is, but perhaps your mistake in all of this was assuming other photographers/artists would be just as incensed as you. Getting upset about the quality of someone else's artwork is quite possibly the dumbest thing ever because it is all personal and people will like what they like regardless of how you feel about it. And bitching about it just makes you look jealous and stupid.

Yea the pics suck. If i remember correctly American Apparel has similar photos too.

I personally don't like Urban Outfitters, not that i don't like the clothes and styles, just the prices are incredibly ridiculous for **** quality stuff.

Maybe the pics would bother me more if i actually liked the store.

:meh:

Also the thing is, to the average person they probably wouldn't notice the quality of it. They'd probably even thought/think it was cool how they did/do the pictures thus getting more people in.

You certainly are entitled to rant and rave just like anyone is, but perhaps your mistake in all of this was assuming other photographers/artists would be just as incensed as you. Getting upset about the quality of someone else's artwork is quite possibly the dumbest thing ever because it is all personal and people will like what they like regardless of how you feel about it.

That's what I said, and then I get accused of attacking her and her professionalism and belittling her, when in fact, I was using my polite voice and simply trying to explain to her why no one really cares what kind of pics Urban Outfitters chooses to purchase and use. And I really was being polite.

:thumbup:
I agree.
+rep for you (if we had it)

OP: What did you expect? You first post on a forum was a link to your own blog. You didn't even bother to copy and paste your rant into the thread to pretend this was the first place you posted it, you just posted the link to it...:meh:

I mod two other forums and that fits the textbook definition of a troll...
My .02.

I think OP should show us some of her work, so that we mere mortals can See The Way of How It's Done.

First of all, I'm surprised at myself for even RESPONDING to this post because it is beyond ridiculous on so many levels (one being the way you mock my intelligence, who the hell do you think you are to do so? You don't know me, so don't assume that you do in any way.) Secondly, if you want to call that photo shoot that I posted and was ranting about "creative", then that says a lot about your own personal style. Third. Once again, you don't know me, so don't even attempt to pretend that you know what photographers I respect, follow, and/or study. Your entire post has proven to only make yourself look uneducated and unprofessional.

I'm not the one who made a self-important blog ranting about another photographers' work because I don't understand it. Like I said, I don't like the style of work, but at least it's different. If you think they actually spent no time on that shoot and just took snapshots, and didn't have that specific look in mind, then there's no more to say. I certainly don't want my own work to look that way, but I have little doubt that this is what the Urban Outfitters marketing dept. was looking for. And likely paid a substantial sum for.

Urban Outfitters is a pretty large, nationwide company with a very distinct image and consumer. I really doubt they just give away marketing dollars to any old asshat photographer with a portfolio in hand. These photos likely meet their demands for addressing their consumer and fulfilling their image. The images may look unprofessional to you, but you obviously aren't getting paid the big corporate bucks to take photos like this, or you wouldn't have the time to sit around and write a blog complaining about the jobs you didn't get.

Edit: And white's right. He said what I did, just a bit more politely. Blatantly criticizing others work does nothing but make you look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back