What are you reading?

Stones for Ibarra by Harriet Doerr. I'd never heard of her, but I came across it in a used bookstore and apparently it won a bunch of awards a while back. So far it is living up to its reputation.

I'd never heard of her either, so I looked it up and just read the NYT book review from 1983. It was her first book and she was 73 when it was published.

On the wish list it goes!

I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction because I just don't like digging through the dreck to find the few gems. That's why I love when I get a heads up in this thread :)

I've had around fifty books on my Wish List for years, and nobody in my family had ever bought a single one, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to grab some for myself. I bought 28 books all in one whack, so now I have two stacks on my bedside table waiting their turn. :1219:

I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction because I just don't like digging through the dreck to find the few gems.
I've no time for fiction, and I completely understand your sentiment.

I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction because I just don't like digging through the dreck to find the few gems.
I've no time for fiction, and I completely understand your sentiment.

I know there's some good stuff out there, but it's so hard to tell. Even if a book is heaped with accolades, it doesn't mean it's good. I generally avoid the NYT best sellers and Oprah's book recommendations. If it's wildly popular, chances are I won't like it. I'm a snob that way ;)

I'll read the books that my book club comes up with, and I don't like a lot of them, but I will say that a few of the books were outstanding, and I never would have read them if not for the book club. Two that come to mind if anyone is interested are The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

I know there's some good stuff out there, but it's so hard to tell. Even if a book is heaped with accolades, it doesn't mean it's good. I generally avoid the NYT best sellers and Oprah's book recommendations. If it's wildly popular, chances are I won't like it. I'm a snob that way ;)

I'll read the books that my book club comes up with, and I don't like a lot of them, but I will say that a few of the books were outstanding, and I never would have read them if not for the book club. Two that come to mind if anyone is interested are The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.
Exactly! Same with movies and television. We never watch network TV, and often discover a show that we like, but that has been cancelled. I don't consider myself a snob, but perhaps my taste simply doesn't go with the flow.

We usually end up owning the books we like, usually bought second-hand at the library book sale. Wifey has all or nearly all the Rex Stout and Agatha Christie along with Mary Higgins Clark, and a few other collections.

Yup, I own the books that I like or want to read. I have....a LOT of books :) More used than new. Buzz and I know all the good used book stores in the area and whenever we travel, we always manage to find one, even when we're not looking! One year we went on a New England cruise - stopped in 5 ports and bought books in almost every one :bek181:

I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction because I just don't like digging through the dreck to find the few gems. That's why I love when I get a heads up in this thread :)

I read a lot of fiction and I've found many great books (imo) among the recent stuff. I also don't pay attention to book clubs or bestseller lists, but I find the National Book Award, PEN Faulkner and Booker winners and nominees are mostly very good, and of course anything that gets good reviews from several reliable sources is a good bet.

As for late first books, Charles Frazier wrote Cold Mountain, his first book, when he was in his mid-forties. I like all of his stuff.

I guess I should not even mention the Rogue Warrior Richard Marcinko series of books that I often find entertaining. He is definitely not high brow, and is in fact a knuckle dragger.

Virginia Woolf: Mrs Dalloway

"The Copyright Zone: A Legal Guide For Photographers and Artists In The Digital Age (2nd Edition) [Kindle Edition]".

I bought and read their previous work, "Photographer's Survival Manual: A Legal Guide for Artists in the Digital Age" a few years ago, and it changed my whole outlook on the importance of copyright registrations, copyright notices on my work, and pursuing and collecting monetary compensation for unauthorized use of my images.

I've been looking forward to this updated and expanded work from them, both for the new content, and for the fact that it's now available on Kindle, so I can take it with me everywhere. It came out in February and I got mine last night via Kindle instant e-purchase (which I love).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
"The Copyright Zone: A Legal Guide For Photographers and Artists In The Digital Age (2nd Edition) [Kindle Edition]".

I bought and read their previous work, "Photographer's Survival Manual: A Legal Guide for Artists in the Digital Age" a few years ago, and it changed my whole outlook on the importance of copyright registrations, copyright notices on my work, and pursuing and collecting monetary compensation for unauthorized use of my images.

I've been looking forward to this updated and expanded work from them, both for the new content, and for the fact that it's now available on Kindle, so I can take it with me everywhere. It came out in February and I got mine last night via Kindle instant e-purchase (which I love).
Have they got a film version

Have they got a film version
There are several seminar type videos out there on the subject from them.

Here's one they did at B&H:

Here's another that I believe is a newer one:

currently half way through Infinite Jest. Long journey

Gap Creek by Richard Morgan

Most reactions

Back