What are you reading?

The Los Angeles Times: An Op-Ed piece "Don't track your kid like a FedEx package". About new laws popping up to protect parents and "free range" kids. Interesting.

The Los Angeles Times: An Op-Ed piece "Don't track your kid like a FedEx package". About new laws popping up to protect parents and "free range" kids. Interesting.
Very interesting piece, thanks for sharing.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
On my TBR shelf at this moment. I'll be interested in your opinion; my husband liked it a lot.
I'm listening to the audiobook, and it's great so far. Not sure how much I've "read" so far, but I will estimate about 15%. It hooked me pretty quickly.

the power of now
eckhart tolle

Not really into the spiritual stuff but came highly recommended, we'll see. So far seems mostly about being present and having an open mind.

Book 5 of the Corps series by WEB Griffin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake - Frank Abagnale

Fun read.
Leonardo DiCaprio & Tom Hanks starred in the movie (2003?), with the same title, based on Frank Abagnale's exploits as a world class con man. Abagnale started early, age 16.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Book 5 of the Corps series by WEB Griffin.

Being a Marine myself (once a Marine always a Marine), I read the whole series one right after the other, in chronological order.

Gotta lubs me some Web Griffen

What colour is your parachute 2018

The Hollywood Bowl Cookbook.

It is actually an interesting read. It was a funding raising project in 1984, recipes from the LA Phil musicians to celebs to the governor of California (at that time).

Reactions: KmH
Am curious how everyone gets their books to read. Are you a library fan, download, buy it?
I buy most of mine because I want to have them and keep them. My son has given me several, including three more this past week. I have not yet succumbed to reading on a Kindle, mostly because the books I favor are not available electronically.

I have...a lot of books.
When the wife and I moved 4 or so years ago, we saw that we had packed 25 boxes of books. We each had a lot of books on our own before we got married, so when we combined them, it was just too much. We ended up donating repeats that we had and books that we felt we'd no longer read. We still kept a lot of them, but it's time for another round of donating.

I've tried to do rounds of donating. I manage to cull a bag or two, but for the most part, I can't really bear to part with the vast majority of the books. I mean, if I ever get to crazy I-need-my-own-episode-of-Hoarders level, I might have to reconsider this, but until then, my having a lot of books isn't a problem.

When Buzz and I live together...let's just say that we already know we'll have to look for a house with a room that could be a library. And figure in bookshelf space in the other rooms, too :)

I don't have a Kindle and don't want one. I find it too distracting to read on a screen, and I miss the very tactile act of holding a book and turning pages. I have a Kindle app on my Chromebook that I'll use sometimes if I need a book for my book club and I'm either late and need to read at least part of it within a day or two, or if I know I'm not going to want to keep the book.

In fact, tonight's book is one of those. I was going to order it on Amazon but forgot until yesterday, so I bought the Kindle version, interrupted my reading of my other book, and started reading for our meeting tonight. (Almost done, actually. I'm a fast reader and it's an easy read. The Girl with Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee. Very good.)

If I do this and decide I like the book well enough, I'll order a physical copy of the book to keep.

I also can't do audio books. I don't process information aurally nearly as well as I do visually, so I find it difficult to concentrate when listening to a book.

Last edited:
Am curious how everyone gets their books to read. Are you a library fan, download, buy it?
These days I do pretty much all of my reading on my Fire tablet.
My local library is part of Bridges that loans ebooks and audio books. See if your local library is listed.
I get books on Amazon (I have Amazon Prime ) and through Book Bub. Some of those books are free, some cost a couple of bucks, and some cost 10's of dollars.

I have lots of physical books having been an avid & daily reader for all of my adult life. My local library has remarked on the eclectic breadth of my book selections.

I've tried to do rounds of donating. I manage to cull a bag or two, but for the most part, I can't really bear to part with the vast majority of the books. I mean, if I ever get to crazy I-need-my-own-episode-of-Hoarders level, I might have to reconsider this, but until then, my having a lot of books isn't a problem.

When Buzz and I live together...let's just say that we already know we'll have to look for a house with a room that could be a library. And figure in bookshelf space in the other rooms, too :)

I don't have a Kindle and don't want one. I find it too distracting to read on a screen, and I miss the very tactile act of holding a book and turning pages. I have a Kindle app on my Chromebook that I'll use sometimes if I need a book for my book club and I'm either late and need to read at least part of it within a day or two, or if I know I'm not going to want to keep the book.

In fact, tonight's book is one of those. I was going to order it on Amazon but forgot until yesterday, so I bought the Kindle version, interrupted my reading of my other book, and started reading for our meeting tonight. (Almost done, actually. I'm a fast reader and it's an easy read. The Girl with Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee. Very good.)

If I do this and decide I like the book well enough, I'll order a physical copy of the book to keep.

I also can't do audio books. I don't process information aurally nearly as well as I do visually, so I find it difficult to concentrate when listening to a book.
We keep books that we want, but books that we don't see ourselves rereading or didn't like enough to keep, we try to get rid of it. It's hard, though. I agree, the physical act of picking up a book, flipping through the pages, and then getting that aroma of glue/paper/dust.. very hard to beat.

As for finding a house with a library... I can relate. When we moved into our current house, we actually made a point to find a house that had a room for our bookshelves. We made the room an office, but then had to move our books when we turned the room into a nursery. But, we bought a little bookcase for our daughter.

While I do tend to get easily distracted on screens, as well, I think I'd prefer to read on a screen than a book. Not from the actual aspect of reading, but rather from the aspect that I almost always have my phone on me--books, not so much. So, while I don't enjoy it as much, I'm more likely to actually read more.

Regarding audiobooks, I was the same way--I didn't process information aurally as well as visually. However, over the past few years, I've made it a point to start improving my listening skills. I'm often on the phone with clients or others, and I often find myself either getting distracted or just not able to process the information well enough. And, when the client tells you once, they don't like telling you again. So, I started by listening to podcasts on my drive to and from work, which really helped me (I still get distracted too easily, though). Now, I can't get enough of audiobooks. When I sit in traffic, instead of getting frustrated, I actually enjoy the time "reading". :)

Gonna be this next time I read.
1528129787446.jpeg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back