14-24mm f2.8 problem.

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
All of the sudden my 14-24mm f2.8 is stuck at 14mm. I am unable to zoom in at all. It is like the zoom ring locked at 14mm. The lens still makes great photos, but I can only use it at 14mm.

Any ideas?

All of the sudden my 14-24mm f2.8 is stuck at 14mm. I am unable to zoom in at all. It is like the zoom ring locked at 14mm. The lens still makes great photos, but I can only use it at 14mm.

Any ideas?

SUPER-common with many modern zoom lenses, from all manufacturers. Happens quite often. The Lensrentals.com blog articles on lens failures mention this problem over and over. A screw ,or two, can come loose, and jam the system. Something can slip inside the ring and barrel, and jam the system. Time for a service on the lens I would think.

What are the steps to get the lens serviced? Where do I send it? Any guess as to price for the service? I have never had this happen on any of my Nikon lenses....

Thanks

The last time I needed a lens serviced, I took it to my authorized Nikon, USA dealer, ProPhoto Supply, in Portland, Oregon, and they sent it to Nikon's west coast Melville, California service center. As far as I know, Nikon itself maintains two USA service centers, one for each coast and interior area. I beleive you could take the lens in to any of many authorized Nikon, USA. dealers and they could handle the shipping and arrangements for you. However, If the lens is a gray market, or is an outside-USA-origin example, then you will _NOT_ be able to have official Nikon, USA warranty or even payed repair work done on the lens by Nikon, and a third-party camera repair shop will be your choice to do the needed diagnostic and repair work.

As long as I've been a Nikon shooter, since 1982, I have had less than a handful of lens or body repairs needed, on over a hundred lenses and maybe 20 bodies; 35/1.4 from 1969,a dropped-down-a-concrete-stairwell-filter-ring ruined 55/2.8 Micro-Nikon, a diaphragm actuation mechanism breakdown on my used Nikon D1 from 2000, and the common electrical fault issue on the 70-200 VR-1 from 2002 or so are the only repairs I have needed. I also about a year ago dropped my 50-135/3.5 mounted on the D3x body from shoulder height, right onto asphalt, and the lens now has a jammed zoom ring and a ruined filter thread, but I've not yet had the lens fixed. So, I do not have a lot of repair knowledge.

Thanks for the info. I honestly am not sure if the 14-24mm is a gray market lens or not. How would I be able to tell?

Thanks for the info. I honestly am not sure if the 14-24mm is a gray market lens or not. How would I be able to tell?

I think for US lenses, the serial number begins with a US.
But that is not always the case. In my case 2 of my lenses the sn started with US. #3 does not have the US prefix, but came with a US warranty card with matching sn.

You can always contact Nikon USA repair.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back