18-300mm, is it a replacement?

TonysTouch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The recently announced Nikkor 18-300mm seems too good to be true.

I am extremely curious about this lens due to its huge focal range and macro capabilities (focuses at 1.48 feet at 300mm).

Will this lens serve as a replacement for the 18-55mm and 55-300mm combo? I understand the aperture range is similar if not identical, but is this lens the DX gold it seems?

It's a good non-pro travel lens IMO.

but is this lens the DX gold it seems?
Only if you can put up with all the optical aberrations you get with the massive zoom range. (jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none)

Nikon and other lens makes sell a lot of superzoom (10x+ zoom range) lenses, because for many people the convenience of using just one lens trumps all the optical aberration issues that can't be designed out.

You might want to wait for a reputable testing web site, like dpreview.com, to test the lens, and then look at the results of their testing.

You might start by reading their Nikon 18-200 mm review. Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX review: Digital Photography Review

Think of it as a 'Swiss Army Knife'. It can do a LOT of things, but does it do any of them really well?

Has anyone been able to use it yet?

I just received the 18-300 a couple of days ago. So far so good. It appears to be a little sharper than the 18-200, which it is replacing. Only thing I noticed after doing some shooting is that there appears to be a noticeable lag for the VR to settle down. Im using it on a D7000.
I also just got the 28-300 for my D800E and love it. I know that the purists think that's a waste but I also bought the 28-70 for more critical shooting.
A my age I'm beginning to have that I can't take it with me attitude. If they add VR to that 28-70 i will trade up and it will get a lot more use.

I've had mine for a few weeks. Love it! It replaced my 18-200 VR as well. Yes, it's sharper. Edges are much sharper.
Great improvement. It's a keeper!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back