1DX III

From my understanding that article about lenses says that the will still support the EF Mount but there will be no new lenses. By new lenses I would take that meaning they would continue to produce what they currently make but not put R&D into new ones. (But really what new lens options could there be, I mean there are like 1,000 EF mount lenses, right??)

That being said, I think it is smart to put money into the mirrorless bodies and lenses. From everything that I am seeing about the new R mount lenses, they are even more amazing than the highend EF glass. Look at some of the images being shot with the EOS R and the R mount 24-105mm f/4. They are as good as shooting with a 5D mk IV and a 24-70mm f/2.8 EF glass.

I think that wider mount will help get more light into the sensor and improve the quality of the images. (That is my opinion.)

And if I am right and when they get a 1dx Mirrorless body built like a tank and an R mount 300 or 400mm f/2.8 lens on it. That is lighter than current versions. Look out, that will be it.

Petapixel specializes in click-bait headlines.

From my understanding that article about lenses says that the will still support the EF Mount but there will be no new lenses. By new lenses I would take that meaning they would continue to produce what they currently make but not put R&D into new ones. (But really what new lens options could there be, I mean there are like 1,000 EF mount lenses, right??)

That being said, I think it is smart to put money into the mirrorless bodies and lenses. From everything that I am seeing about the new R mount lenses, they are even more amazing than the highend EF glass. Look at some of the images being shot with the EOS R and the R mount 24-105mm f/4. They are as good as shooting with a 5D mk IV and a 24-70mm f/2.8 EF glass.

I think that wider mount will help get more light into the sensor and improve the quality of the images. (That is my opinion.)

And if I am right and when they get a 1dx Mirrorless body built like a tank and an R mount 300 or 400mm f/2.8 lens on it. That is lighter than current versions. Look out, that will be it.
There is actually one lens left to make that would be insanely popular!
The EF 500 f4 mklll, with the improvements and weight reductions of the new 400 and 600!!!
Every nature photographer would buy it!!!
Maybe a 3 or 4 pound 500!
SS

Agreed. A Diffractive Optics (DO) 500mm would likely be a welcome addition. A 300mm f/4 DO, to match the Nikon offering, would be most welcome. Just yesterday Nikon announced a 120-300 mm f/2.8.... I think such a lens would be a big hit with high-end Sports and high-end portrait and wedding shooters. For well over 15 years Sigma has offered a 120 to 300 F / 2.8 and I think Cannon could ask $9,500, like Nikon is, for such a lens.

I think Canon could also make a 500 mm f / 5.6, which would not need to weigh that much. I think they would have a good seller with a 100-600 mm f/5.6 high end consumer zoom, or possibly could make a 200 to 500 F / 5.6 to compete head-to-head with the Nikon Model of the same specifications.

@Sharpshooterr, I understand what you are saying and yes a mark III would be nice. But what we don't know yet is what they mean by no new EF lenses. To me that would be a continued servicing of the EF Line, since it would be a Mark III.

In an interview like that, we don't know the context of what was meant and Canon isn't going to tell us that anytime soon.

Also, I believe they said that if the customers demanded it, they would produce more. So all those wanting a 500mm f/4 mk III need to demand it in mass.

You could be right but I doubt that’s the case. I did read it was simply bigger to allow for more electrical contacts to move more information between camera and lens.
The OLD mount diameter was already big enough to build f1.0 lenses and faster, which Nikon for example, was never able to do.
But a bigger mount could allow a slightly bigger sensor. Even just 10-25% bigger could allow for either a lot more more mp, in the mp race and for a lot less noise with bigger sensor cells.
Whatever they do with it, there could be some advantages.
One of the other companies(can’t remember which), currently has a mount larger than Canon and nobody has lenses faster than Canon!
SS

Ummmm.... lenses faster than Canon? What about Nikon and Leica?? And Voigtlander ( which is assembled in Japan by Cosina).

Yes Canon has some really fast lenses, but so do other manufacturers, and I think that other manufacturers make more Super Speed lenses than do Canon. And by other manufacturers I am specifically referring to Cosina.

Check out cameraquest.com

Sorry to burst your bubble.

The mount diameter the Nikon has is not an impediment to making super speed lenses, although that is an often-repeated myth. The Leica M mount has been the target of many superspeed wide-angle and normal lenses within the past decade. The new Nikon Z mount is quite a bit larger than the new Canon RF mount and Nikon has released some patent designs for super speed lenses. The problem comes with actually getting decent pictures from such lenses. And with increasing sensor quality and better and better High ISO performance, there is very little needed these days wider than F / 1.4..

Ummmm.... lenses faster than Canon? What about Nikon and Leica?? And Voigtlander ( which is assembled in Japan by Cosina).

Yes Canon has some really fast lenses, but so do other manufacturers, and I think that other manufacturers make more Super Speed lenses than do Canon. And by other manufacturers I am specifically referring to Cosina.

LoL, Derrel, I forgot to qualify my answer but I don’t count all those useless, crappy ole manual focus jobbies that only a stuffy old Landscaper could love!!! LoL
What lenses has Nikon ever made that was faster than 1.4 and was AF?
Only until recently that ML has come into existence have companies made faster than 1.2 AF lenses because all the ML cameras have mounts wide enough, al la Canon!!!
SS

LoL, Derrel, I forgot to qualify my answer but I don’t count all those useless, crappy ole manual focus jobbies that only a stuffy old Landscaper could love!!! LoL
What lenses has Nikon ever made that was faster than 1.4 and was AF?
Only until recently that ML has come into existence have companies made faster than 1.2 AF lenses because all the ML cameras have mounts wide enough, al la Canon!!!
My bubble is FINE!!!
SS

Once again the mount with is not the limiting factor in designing a high-speed lens, it is proven by the many high-speed lenses that are available for the Leica M-mount.

Sorry to burst your bubble again. You are of course free to continue deluding yourself if it makes you feel better.

Your allegation that the mount diameter somehow limits the speed of lenses is kind of cute. Lens designs are often made for company bragging rights, both for the company that makes the lens and for users...kind of like big, jacked-up pickup trucks....

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on 1Dx 3 today. I should have it by next month. :1219:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back