24-70 or 18-200 for traveling?

Michiyo-Fir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning to travel for a while in the next 2 months and I want to travel with as little gear as possible because

1. it's hard to store and to get on the plane with a lot of equipment, laptop, snack food, etc. all packed together because they don't allow more carry on bags

2. it's heavy to carry all day especially since I'm going to be using public transportation/walking most of the time

I will mainly be doing people stuff, quite a lot indoor shots, possibly some sights and I was contemplating whether I should bring a 24-70 2.8 and not bring anything else or bring my 18-200 as well in case I want the slightly wider angle or extra zoom for whatever reason.

I will be going to a zoo as well but I will rent a 70-200 2.8 for that day.

I shoot DX.

24-70 or 18-200 for traveling

If I were to chose one between the two, I'd go for the 18-200 for the extra range. (is this for fun or business?)

The choice doesn't seem that tough really. What is more important to you in this situation. Image quality or convenience. You have to pick.

what body?

I'd skip that 18-200 and since you're going to rent for reach just pick up a 17-55 f2.8 if you can and be on your way. If you want cheaper but slower the 16-85 is a great lens.

I shoot a D7000.

I'm not too much for a 17-55 2.8 because I don't feel like I really need that much of a wide angle because I'm mostly doing people stuff and I prefer the extra reach of the 24-70mm a bit better.

Plus I don't have the option of going 17-55 because my friends and I don't own that lens so there's no way I could get my hands on it.

I'd get a wide angle lens for the zoo. Nothing cooler than getting into the cage with the animal for a closeup portrait.
Just make sure you don't have meat in your pockets.

24-70mm

I'd leave the 18-200mm home, I doubt you'll ever use it. A crop from your 24-70mm would likely look nearly as good as a 200mm shot taken with the 18-200mm.

The only reason I thought I may need my 18-200 is because I didn't know if the 24-70 was wide enough to capture some buildings or sights or if I'll have enough space to just take a few steps back but I think I agree with most of you. 24-70 is probably the way to go.

If I find myself really needing a wide angle I could always rent a 12-24 for a day I guess but I'm really trying to just have a camera and one lens, no other stuff.

I won't even need a dedicated camera bag, just pad my camera with clothes in my backpack.

Thanks everyone!

18-200 + 35mm f/1.8DX for when it gets dark. Done.

I suggest to take the 24-70 as it is a fantastic lens (why leave it at home) and pack the 18-200 in a sock and throw it in your suitcase as it is not a big lens. Great if you use it or not; also I would suggest taking a prime lens if you have access to one for low light conditions although the 24-70 would cover a 35mm or a 50mm.

I'm going on a month vacation in Europe and will take three lens with me 18-200 VR, 50mm f1.8 and looking to get a 70-300 VR as well. I would love to go to more expensive glass like the 24-70 but its hella expensive :(

I agree with Sw1tchFX. I would take the 18-200 and pick up a less expensive fast lens. I have traveled the world (litterally). And for me the 24-70 would not be wide enough for indoor shots. And not long enough for some outside shots. But the 18-200 is also slow when you move indoors. So I think a nice fast prime would fit the bill. Plus they don't take up much room, or weigh alot.

When I travel for work I carry a 18-55VR and a 55-200vr. The 18-55 is on 90% of the time. I use a D40X for my work travel body. I keep my work camera gear as cheap as possible just incase it gets stolen or damaged. I am not out very much money if something does happen. I have been carrying a SB-900 lately though. That has basically doubled the value of the gear in my work travel bag. Reason I added it was St. Peters in Rome. It took me three trips to Rome to finally get shots inside St. Peters before I was happy. Even as big as St. Peters is. I would not be happy with a 24mm as my widest lens. 18 is not wide enough really.

I'd go with the 18-200 over the 24-70. I find the 24 to 70mm range quite boring for travel work--it's simply not wide enough at the wide end, and it's not long enough at the long end, and it is visually pedestrian in the range from 50 to 70mm. I'm not very excited by the 24-70mm zooms on a DX body...on FX, it's an entirely different thing.

Neither 24-120 is an amazing lens, sharp, light weight, great build quality, decent auto-focus and weather sealed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back