24-70mm stuck zoom

odagled

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.delgadophotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title says, my 24-70mm is stuck. It won't zoom out and is stuck at 70mm now. This happened during a wedding but I was alright as I had the 35-70mm as backup. I'm going to send it in to get fixed but was just curious. What would cause the lenses to get stuck? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Damaged zoom helicoid, debris in the mechanism, any one of a hundred things. Box it up, send it off to the repair depot, and hope the bill doesn't hurt too much.

For a while my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G did weird grinding noise when used a lot, it was subtle but if it was quiet you could hear it and it felt unsmooth.
promised myself after the wedding season is over I will send it to Nikon for some spa.
A week and a half later and 400$ poorer I got it back, MAN its like its brand new and is slightly sharper.
Love this lens, wasn't cheap but well worth it, a long list of stuff was done and replaced to it, it worked hard and deserved to get the treatment that it got.

No!!! Don't like hearing this!!! Are you under warranty? Is so, sent it in! If not, contact both keh.com or Midwest Camera Repair. Both are faster and much cheaper than Nikon.

Are you turning the zoom ring the wrong way? :biglaugh:I'm sorry...I coulden't resist!

Hope you get your 24-70 fixed, it's not often you here issues with this lens.

Are you turning the zoom ring the wrong way? :biglaugh:I'm sorry...I coulden't resist!

LMAO! I just double checked. j/k. Also thanks Shadowlands, I'm going to send it KEH to get fixed at some point. As for now, I'm doing fine with the 35-70mm. I will update when it gets fixed. Hopefully its nothing too serious.

LMAO! I just double checked. j/k. Also thanks Shadowlands, I'm going to send it KEH to get fixed at some point. As for now, I'm doing fine with the 35-70mm. I will update when it gets fixed. Hopefully its nothing too serious.

Get a quote from Midwest Camera Repair also. I mainly use them and keh.com. Both cheaper and faster than Nikon.
Never hurts to get a second quote. midwestcamera.com just worked on my D800 for a great fair price!

Most reactions

Back