40D

one heck of a camera.

Man, Canon is just cranking out gear like rabbits crank out babies!

Yeah, though personally I'm completely over SLR cameras. I find them cumbersome. I mean that with all due respect, I know there's some very sophisticated technology being developed around SLRs - I still shoot with a 5D occasionally. But I'm deep into the Rangefinder thing now, and have also come to love smaller cameras. Check out the new G9, it's an AWESOME little machine.

I know people here really like (d)SLRs, and I totally respect that. It's also fun to see these incredibly sophisticated systems being developed and upgraded at a dizzying pace - the free market at its best! Just personally I'm tired of shooting with SLRs.

I hear you Iron. I do really like SLRs for most of what I do. But there are times when a rangefinder, zone focus or other types of camera are far more suitable or convenient than an SLR. The market is all about SLRs though and so far I can't see any real alternatives (no fixed-lens compacts really impress me)...

Ideally I'd like a more affordable digital rangefinder, one that has a 35mm sensor, useable up to 3200 ISO, and giving me a reason to invest in Cosina-Voigtlander lenses (even dreaming about Leica would be unrealistic)... in other words I wish Epson would keep following up the RD-1 (though in not quite the same way that all the dSLR companies endlessly, relentlessly release Must-Have Upgrades every month :er: ).

Not going to happen though ;)

I wish I could afford a rangefinder. The M8 would be nice, but I will have to sell my girlfriend. Hate toting around my DSLR to parties, clubs, etc. but I hate the pics from P&S even more.

The 40D is causing me some dilemna now. I am intending to upgrade to the 5D in the near future, but it now seems dated with all of these new techs incorporated in Canon's latest releases. I know it's still an excellent camera, but will have to delay my purchase until the updated 5d may or may not come out. The 40D is appetizing though.

Take a look at that Canon G9 that was just announced - it's really an extremely impressive piece of gear.

The thing that held me back from G7 was that it did not have RAW.
G9 solved that issue and it's great news! :thumbup:

The 40D is stunning as is the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS and as for the 1DS mkIII WOWOWOWOWOWOWW

Got to play with them today, might not wash my hands again :lol:

This 40D has enough of the things I want(dust cleaning sensor, 3" LCD, 6.5fps, and better noise control) that I will probably upgrade from my 30D.

40D looks really, really good. I love the custom modes, that will be sweet. The sealed, battery & card doors :thumbup: The better viewfinder magnification :thumbup: The quieter shutter :thumbup: The live view :thumbup: the 3" screen :thumbup: the 6.5 fps...up to 75 jpgs :thumbup: the DiGic III sensor :thumbup:

I have something new on my X-mas list.

This 40D has enough of the things I want(dust cleaning sensor, 3" LCD, 6.5fps, and better noise control) that I will probably upgrade from my 30D.
please tell me your heart is telling you to send me your old 30D.... I'll give you a Rebel XT!!!!!

how much will this cost, and when?

Well if they keep to form as the previous releases, figure about $1200-1400 for the body. Either way, I gave notice to my girlfriend I will be pimping her out to pay for it. :)

Most reactions

Back