40D

I like it, but not enough to upgrade. I am waiting for the 5D replacement, as my next body will be a full frame.

This article suggests that a $1,299.00 price tag should be expected.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005176.html

That's really not bad for those features. I have been looking to upgrade my xt to the 30d soon (actually put my xt for sale today for a couple friends) but the 40d isn't that much more, for the better features. There are many features to make it worth the extra few bucks when upgrading from my xt.

Oh, also, at 6.5fps, and a 100,000 shutter life, you can burn through the shutter in 4.27 hours :D

Oh, also, at 6.5fps, and a 100,000 shutter life, you can burn through the shutter in 4.27 hours :D

when you word somehting like that, it's actually vary scary.

I'm actually worried I'm going to kill my Rebel XT before I have the cash to upgrade. I've had it for 7 months and maybe taken 20,000+ photos. At this rate I have only 2 more years!

when you word somehting like that, it's actually vary scary.

I'm actually worried I'm going to kill my Rebel XT before I have the cash to upgrade. I've had it for 7 months and maybe taken 20,000+ photos. At this rate I have only 2 more years!

aren't you about up? Isn't the life on the XT around 30-50,000? You may have less time than you think :banghead:

really? crap. Not that many people pick a 20/30D over a Rebel because of hte shutter life(they normally ignore that and look at burst, build, performance, etc.) but it's something I actually have to take into consideration........... this sucks. I'm depressed now.

(just looked it up, you're right, 30 to 50k shots, I thought it was 100,000..........)

I could be wrong, but isn't the "shutter life" just a 'ballpark' figure, based on tests to give you an idea of how long it should last... not a guarantee that it will self-destruct once you reach that number? :confused:

I could be wrong, but isn't the "shutter life" just a 'ballpark' figure, based on tests to give you an idea of how long it should last... not a guarantee that it will self-destruct once you reach that number? :confused:

yeah definitely.

Not clear if it's a MTBF (mean time between failures) or a warranty (free of charge replacement as long as you did nothing wrong).
Does anyone know?

Any case, the camera should not explode when you reach the magic number. (or it's a firmware undocumented feature... who knows... :raisedbrow:)

Not clear if it's a MTBF (mean time between failures) or a warranty (free of charge replacement as long as you did nothing wrong).
Does anyone know?

Any case, the camera should not explode when you reach the magic number. (or it's a firmware undocumented feature... who knows... :raisedbrow:)

I'm pretty sure it's MTBF, but not positive... anybody?

Oh, the dilemma, between saving up for a 40D or hoping that the 30D comes down enough in price...

I like it, but not enough to upgrade. I am waiting for the 5D replacement, as my next body will be a full frame.

I agree. That has been my plan and I have bought all my glass with a full frame camera in mind.

Of course, the 40d is tempting. I must be strong . . .

:D

I agree. That has been my plan and I have bought all my glass with a full frame camera in mind.

Of course, the 40d is tempting. I must be strong . . .

:D

If they had a larger buffer for shooting RAW, then I would upgrade, but I just can't see myself upgrading for the few features that changed, as they are just not a huge deal to me. I am investing heavily in glass right now, with all intentions of picking up a full frame next.

We can start a support group!! :mrgreen:

Does anyone know?

As I understand it, it's MTBF, but it's a replaceable item. The Canon service centers can do it easy, and I doubt it's an arm and a leg, or at least more than a leg. A shutter at the end of it's life isn't the end of your camera.

Ah, 40D, how I love thee . . . er, thy, or whatever . . .
Anyway, I hear what you're all saying about full frame and upgrade pains. I don't know what Canon has in store for the future, but until other manufacturers can start mainstreaming full frame cameras, I think Canon likes to sit on both sides of a split market and bring in the cash from 3 different sensor sizes. Did I say both sides? I meant three sides . . .

Oh, 40D, you sexy little tank, you . . .
As much as I'd love to pre-order it right now, I know there's a lens or two I should add to the collection first before I start thinking camera upgrade.

Most reactions

Back