500px commercial licensing?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good? Bad? Worth it or not?

How much does it cost? I don't use 500px, but I'm interested to see if others think it's worth it. Does it allow you to sell photo's?

How much does it cost? I don't use 500px, but I'm interested to see if others think it's worth it. Does it allow you to sell photo's?

Free. Sent me an email. Hopefully I will be fabulously rich.

Free. Sent me an email. Hopefully I will be fabulously rich.

I tried to sell with etsy to become fabulously rich, and so far I've made nothing... so.. Best of luck!

I don't even bother with their whole license thing, there's some of the best photos I've ever seen on there, and every hour it seems something just mindblowing is posted, so I doubt anyone's going to be buying my pics there lol.

I tried to sell with etsy to become fabulously rich, and so far I've made nothing... so.. Best of luck!

I will wave to you from my helicopter.

I will wave to you from my helicopter.

I'd love a helicopter ride if someone of your soon-to-be high social standing can tolerate a bourgeois such as myself.

Did you read their Terms? Well maybe not actually read, it's more like did you look at them and try to slog thru and make sense out of them? I have to say if the terms on a site are ridiculously convoluted I at least skim through and more often than not I'll find a deal breaker and not end up using a site.

Did you read their Terms? Well maybe not actually read, it's more like did you look at them and try to slog thru and make sense out of them? I have to say if the terms on a site are ridiculously convoluted I at least skim through and more often than not I'll find a deal breaker and not end up using a site.

No I didn't read because it's confusing on purpose. I tried it with a couple shots that I can retake if things go pear shaped.

Isn't the gist of it that they, 500px, get 70%, and the photographer gets 30%, with which to buy a big jar of lube???

Yea what a hosing that is.

Isn't the gist of it that they, 500px, get 70%, and the photographer gets 30%, with which to buy a big jar of lube???

Are you suggesting that no lube would be the better option?

Surely you don’t have to spend all the 30% on lube; they make smaller containers of that stuff I hear.

Unless of course, if the pic sold for just $5.00 they yes, 30% for lube is fair.

I also got an email for it. Granted, I'm a hobby photographer, and my images just sit there for everyone to bask in their infinite interwebness. So any monies (and lube) which I receive shall be surplus. I did read over the licensing agreement. And then I got to this part:

Licensee cannot:
Falsely represent, expressly or impliedly, that Licensee is the original creator of a visual work

that derives a substantial part of its artistic components from the Images

I'm the licensee. Does that mean that I can't say, "Hey look! My picture's on a card in Target!" Or is it the whole idea that it's a card?

I also got an email for it. Granted, I'm a hobby photographer, and my images just sit there for everyone to bask in their infinite interwebness. So any monies (and lube) which I receive shall be surplus. I did read over the licensing agreement. And then I got to this part:

Licensee cannot:
Falsely represent, expressly or impliedly, that Licensee is the original creator of a visual work

that derives a substantial part of its artistic components from the Images

I'm the licensee. Does that mean that I can't say, "Hey look! My picture's on a card in Target!" Or is it the whole idea that it's a card?

Wouldn't you be the licenser? That sounds to me like someone may purchase the image to use and make changes to it (add/remove something, change the coloring etc) and once those changes are made they still can't take credit (or at least full credit) for the work.

I got an email, but haven't looked over the license agreements yet. I'm inclined to give a couple images a run to see if anything happens. I'm certainly not expecting a change in lifestyle. ;-)

As it is, I'm not earning any money at all on those shots.

Most reactions

Back