5D MKIII or 6D...

Which Do You Choose?

• Total voters
Maybe its because none of you shoot video on a regular basis but to just disregard it completely is a crime. I am constantly blown away by how good the video is on a little dslr body.

Nobody ever said video was a crime. That's just silly. Ok, granted it is evil and you will eventually roast in the eternal fires of damnation for its use.

But illegal? Nahh..

Lol

Steve, I understand why you want to take price out of it. I'm saving for my next camera body and price isn't the deciding factor for me. The 6D and 5Diii are the same camera with a few differences.

What the 5Diii has that the 6D doesn't: Superior auto focus, 2 card slots, 1/8000 ss VS 1/4000, Flash sync at 1/200 vs 1/180, a couple more buttons outside of the menu and is heavier. Also the 5Diii has 100% view finder coverage vs the 6D at 97%.

What the 6D has that the 5Diii doesn't: WiFi, GPS

Those are the only differences that I can see. IMO the auto focus and the dual card slots are the only "up-sells" to the 5Diii. For me it will be a 6D just because I don't really think that the auto focus system will help me all that much. I think I will get pissed scrolling through all of those focus points, but maybe not.

Maybe its because none of you shoot video on a regular basis but to just disregard it completely is a crime. I am constantly blown away by how good the video is on a little dslr body.

Nobody ever said video was a crime. That's just silly. Ok, granted it is evil and you will eventually roast in the eternal fires of damnation for its use.

But illegal? Nahh..

Lol
Not that im trolling...:mrgreen:
But I sometimes wonder if video is a step up from still photography. Doing video "correctly" and with artistic value has its own learning curve (most of which is far beyond simple me). And the editing in video for effects seems real high league. Again, out of the range of simple me.

But I sometimes wonder if video is a step up from still photography. Doing video "correctly" and with artistic value has its own learning curve (most of which is far beyond simple me). And the editing in video for effects seems real high league. Again, out of the range of simple me.

Video is much, much harder. I do photography to relax, I don't shoot video.

Hmm.. Lets see here:

Migrant Mother by Lange: Still Picture. Ishtar : Video.
Yosemite Valley Thunderstorm by Adams : Still picture. Battlefield Earth - Video
Afghan Girl by McCurry : Still Picture. Gigli - Video
Oklahoma City Bombing by Almon: Still Picture. That's my Boy - Video

Special section in hell? Oh yes, it's reserved. Lol

5DIII only because people telling me how much better it is, is similar to this poll's results. And I'm another one that has no interest in the video. Like others, if I wanted to shoot video, I would probably buy a dedicated, top-quality prosumer unit.

I would probably buy a dedicated, top-quality prosumer unit.

Those cost more and are no better. In many cases worse.

Any video feature will only be used to shoot the cat chasing the laser pointer around the living room.

I.

Will.

Not.

Do.

Video.

It doesn't matter what the learning curve is, or how badly some clients want it, or how revolutionary it is or how much more I can add on to the bottom line by offering it.

If I thought it would be possible for me to be able to give less of a rat's ass about doing video, I would...

Any video feature will only be used to shoot the cat chasing the laser pointer around the living room.

I.

Will.

Not.

Do.

Video.

It doesn't matter what the learning curve is, or how badly some clients want it, or how revolutionary it is or how much more I can add on to the bottom line by offering it.

If I thought it would be possible for me to be able to give less of a rat's ass about doing video, I would...

Ok, so put Steve down for a "maybe". Anybody else? Lol

I would probably buy a dedicated, top-quality prosumer unit.

Really? I did not know that.

I have a few sony cams that were $5k new a few years ago that are blown out of the water by the mk3. Even the brand new $3k sony i got is in the same boat.

it goes like this

Good: $300-$1,000
Better $2000-$5000
Best $10k and up.

There really is a sizable gap between prosumer and "pro". The 5d is damn near the "Pro" level of things. For $3500 you get an amazing still camera and an amazing video camera. It really is the best thing.

I.

Will.

Not.

Do.

Video.

I totally understand this . Its one of those things. you hate it, then one day you are bored and try it. Then you try it again. suddenly you are a closet video freak with a smile on your face. course you may never admit it. :mrgreen: Once you cross that line into video....
The part I put in bold kind of surprises me. I thought you were all business and you keep saying the only opinion you give a rats azz about is your clients.

understood. To each their own.

The part I put in bold kind of surprises me. I thought you were all business and you keep saying the only opinion you give a rats azz about is your clients.

Whoa pump the brakes there fella. farting around with the video on your camera is one thing but doing video production is another kettle of fish entirely. I can see why most folks here would not want to do it. I would never want to shoot a wedding video because the difference between photographing a wedding and filming a wedding is vast, time consuming and expensive.

One of these days I will have to take a shot of my production bag(s).

Really? I did not know that.

I have a few sony cams that were $5k new a few years ago that are blown out of the water by the mk3. Even the brand new $3k sony i got is in the same boat.

it goes like this

Good: $300-$1,000
Better $2000-$5000
Best $10k and up.

There really is a sizable gap between prosumer and "pro". The 5d is damn near the "Pro" level of things. For $3500 you get an amazing still camera and an amazing video camera. It really is the best thing.

I learned something new today. Again. This site is an incredible wealth of knowledge! Thanks.

ETA: Maybe I'll just play around some with the video on my 7D. I've learned to never say never!

Whoa pump the brakes there fella. farting around with the video on your camera is one thing but doing video production is another kettle of fish entirely. I can see why most folks here would not want to do it. I would never want to shoot a wedding video because the difference between photographing a wedding and filming a wedding is vast, time consuming and expensive.

One of these days I will have to take a shot of my production bag(s).
not saying it isn't. But with a business mindset im surprised it isn't at least thrown on the table for consideration.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back