A camera bag that can hold my other stuff too

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't want to carry a camera bag AND a purse. I'm seeking a camera bag that will hold my Rebel XS, the two kit lenses, a few extra accessories, like an extra battery and external flash ... but that also can hold (in a separate area) my keys, wallet, lipstick, cell phone, my P&S (canon 780IS), and my epi-pen.

That way I can leave the house with ONE bag. Is it a pipe dream? Surely I'm not the first one?

I've had my eye on the Kata 3n1 series for a while. Something along those lines might do the trick.

The two bags I was looking at were the Lowepro Slingshot and the Kata 3N1; I just bought the Kata 3N1-30. Both bags were given mostly favorable reviews and originally I was leaning toward the Lowepro but I liked the idea of the convertable sling/backpack that the Kata offered. I too was looking for something that I can use to carry other stuff around: I am going on a cruise and want this to be my carry on. But with that said there are other styles of bags that will probably work for you as well if a backpack or sling isn't your style.

I have a Mountainsmith backpack from the Camera line. It can hold my camera, 3 lenses, and enough supplies for a 10+ mile hike ( if I pack it tight enough ) Its nice and comfortable too.

i have Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW. 4 lens and i still have alot of space. there few side pocket you can put keys wallet etc.....

Unfortunately I personally believe that your "perfect" bag is more pipe dream than reality.

I searched for about a year for a bag (backpack) that would allow me to carry some basic camera gear (body, couple lenses, hood, spare battery and charger), and still have plenty of room for non-camera "stuff". I followed all of the bag threads on this forum, carefully evaluated practically every camera backpack on the market, and finally came to the unfortunate conclusion that the perfect hybrid backpack doesn't exist.

I ended up getting a Kata DR-467i which I've been relatively pleased with, but it's still a bit of a sacrifice as it doesn't have as much space and organization for non-camera stuff as I would like.

I think "perfect" will never happen but almost perfect can. I believe it has to do with how big of a bag you want, how much camera gear you want to carry and how much other stuff you want to carry as well. I read reviews of people trying to carry a large tripod on a slingsack and claim it's aweful - yeah it probably would be; why not just get a true backpack and stuff it with foam and lash everything to it.

It seems reasonable for someone to want to put some or all of their camera equipment depending on how much they own along with some personal items in a single pack. Everything has limitations.

I use my Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home as a camera bag/man purse. In it I carry a d90, 50mm 1.8, 10-20mm (attached), and 18-55mm with one normal size slot open that can fit a sunglasses case, rolled up rain coat, or 16oz nalgene, and then a long skinny slot that I usually use to carry a book or sandwich. In the front and side pockets I have extra batteries and memory cards. It could definitely hold everything that you mentioned. My review of it is at the bottom of this thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...mpler-7mdh-too-big-should-i-go-5mdh-6mdh.html

i really like the lowepro slingshot. My buddy got the kata 3n1 and that is pretty awesome too and holds 2 bodies for him (D200 and a D300s).

Unfortunately I personally believe that your "perfect" bag is more pipe dream than reality.

I searched for about a year for a bag (backpack) that would allow me to carry some basic camera gear (body, couple lenses, hood, spare battery and charger), and still have plenty of room for non-camera "stuff". I followed all of the bag threads on this forum, carefully evaluated practically every camera backpack on the market, and finally came to the unfortunate conclusion that the perfect hybrid backpack doesn't exist.

I ended up getting a Kata DR-467i which I've been relatively pleased with, but it's still a bit of a sacrifice as it doesn't have as much space and organization for non-camera stuff as I would like.

I too have been please with my KATA DR-466, great bag for throwing on the bike and riding... I use mine a lot for Triathlon photos.

I don't want to carry a camera bag AND a purse. I'm seeking a camera bag that will hold my Rebel XS, the two kit lenses, a few extra accessories, like an extra battery and external flash ... but that also can hold (in a separate area) my keys, wallet, lipstick, cell phone, my P&S (canon 780IS), and my epi-pen.

That way I can leave the house with ONE bag. Is it a pipe dream? Surely I'm not the first one?

I like Domke shoulder bags myself. They don't weigh as much as the Lowepros and the Crumplers.

link: Shoulder Bags

The F-3X should be plenty big for your needs.

I wasn't able to find the "perfect" bag either, but the Lowepro Versapack came pretty close for what I needed.

Enough space for camera plus a couple of lenses and accessories.
Top compartment has plenty of space for other things.
Side access panels for easy access to camera without taking the bag off
Tripod holder and all-weather cover.
18-2171-IMG1.jpeg

18-2171-IMG3.jpeg

18-2171-IMG4.jpeg

On the other hand, for someone who only wants to carry a few small things like keys, P&S, cell phone and lipstick, the Lowepro Flipside series may make more sense. They are smaller and have the added security of the opening being against your back when worn. The Flipsides also make it easier to change lenses using them as a "lens table".

I'm looking at the Lowepro Fastpack 250 atm, as i want a case i can also use for travel, so needs to fit my 15" MBP.

Another excellent bag is this tenba. This is the bag I use and I love it. Holds a laptop, you can easily fit an slr, 2 lenses, a flash, and some other stuff in the bag, and there's numerous outside pockets you could put your keys in. I absolutely recommend!
Tenba - Messenger: Large Photo/Laptop Bag

Or if you want a backpack style I hear the Deviantart bag is really good.

Most reactions

Back