A Confused Newbie

Marvigal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to the DSLR world having made a death defying leap from the Nikon Coolpix L810 to a D7100. I've got the camera's menus all set up and have set myself the project of photographing my community in order to practice composition, lighting, getting to know my equipment, etc., etc. I was at a nearby park with new really innovative playground equipment and could not get a shot because I could not get far enough away from it -- a shortcoming of a DX sensor probably? These are the lenses I have (all Nikon DX): 18-140mm kit lens, 55-300mm, 35mm, 40mm macro. The shot I wanted was over my head. I even put the camera on the ground and still couldn't get it all in the shot. I had the 18-140mm lens on the camera. So, this is the question -- Do I need a smaller mm lens? If so, which of these three would be the better one to purchase:

Sigma 10-20mm; Tamron 10-24mm; Tokina 11-16mm, or maybe another one altogether???? The Nikon is just way too expensive for me, especially with all the other gear that I've had to purchase. My husband says, "Another lens????" I just cross my fingers behind my back and say "Sure, Honey. This'll be the last one." Of course, my nose grows a little longer.

I have stewed and stewed over this - read and reread what has been written in reviews and just gotten myself more and more confused, then realized I was really too ignorant about too many things to know what to do. HELP, please! Thank you for your assistance!

Last edited:
Another option would be to shoot a panorama and stitch the photo's together in post.

As far as the lenses go though I'm afraid I cant be much help as I'm in a similar dilemma with ultrawides.

For wide angle DX The Tokina 11-16 always gets excellent reviews.

I second the Tokina 11-16 2.8. I never owned it...but I did have the Tokina 12-24 f/4 and I loved that lens..very sharp and affordable.

Like @weepete said, you can do a pano stitch and sometimes those can look better than using ultra wide angles.

Watch out. If your nose grows too long, it'll be hard to see through the viewfinder. :801:

Before buying a new lens, I'd probably rather try stitching together a pano. It'll help your post-processing skills.

If your 18mm focal length will not get it, I would hesitate in buying a shorter lens unless you have full confidence in the wider focal length. See if you can rent or borrow one to get that shot.

MY FIRST QUESTION would be, "Did you have the camera oriented to vertical capture mode?" i.e. was the camera in "tall" capture mode? And second, if you were at a playground, why not just back up a bit?

I just had a random thought. Are you positive you are not in 1.3x crop mode?

MY FIRST QUESTION would be, "Did you have the camera oriented to vertical capture mode?" i.e. was the camera in "tall" capture mode? And second, if you were at a playground, why not just back up a bit?
I got the impression that it was on the ground pointed up toward the structure.

Maybe OP can post a photo of what she took ...

OK, lots of things go over my head as well. In this case I say just find another shot.

Of the lenses mentioned the Tokina 11-16 is nice and I've used one a couple times (plus their 12-28mm which covers a good range), but have not bought one. But even then we don't know if 10 or 11mm would have included everything.

Another option would be to shoot a panorama and stitch the photo's together in post.

As far as the lenses go though I'm afraid I cant be much help as I'm in a similar dilemma with ultrawides.
Ahhhhh, "post op" -- another part of the elephant I need to learn to eat. See what a newbie I am? The only software I have is what came with the camera. Thank you for the suggestion!

I have the Sigma 10-20 for my D7100 and I love it. It gives a much larger field of view than you can get at 18mm. Although, you do have to watch for distortion when using ultrawide angles.

Hi, Derrel! The shot was a circular monkey bar set with the red and yellow canvas semi-open "roof" of the playground equipment being seen up through the monkey bars. With the light coming through I thought it might make a somewhat interesting picture. I am 5'6" and the bars were about 6" more over my head, maybe a little less. I lay on my back, buried my head in cedar chips, mashed the camera to my face. I got most of it in but it clipped the extreme edges. I then layed the strap on the ground, the camera on the strap and then tried to take the picture -- no luck there, either. The lens was at 18mm. Yes, the camera was set on vertical capture mode. Could that have been a problem? Thanks so much for you reply.

For wide angle DX The Tokina 11-16 always gets excellent reviews.
You are right, Tenthumbs, it does get a lot of great reviews -- and that, too, is part of the problem (sigh). I am beginning to think that if I put all three of these lenses in a hat and pulled one out I couldn't go too terribly wrong. Thanks for your suggestion!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back