What's new

A family members rare and historical gun collection....

Wow. That is an amazing collection!! Nice shots, too. Thanks for sharing.
 
Their home is unbelievable, and very historical on its own. This collection occupies the whole third floor of the home.

Whoa, there, Missy! That there's way too much information as to the specifics about where this collection is located.
 
As general photographs of the collection, these aren't bad, but I would like to see some photographs of individual items. I realize that it might be next to impossible to pick one or two for such an expose'.
 
Yeah,wow! I used to be fascinated by firearms and firearms history. He has some wonderful stuff! Some of the essential early autoloading pistols, some of the early break-action revolvers, single shot rifles, the whole gamut! Loads of historically important firearms. Wow, what a neat collection!
 
That's a tough thing to photograph. You either wind up with a million individual gun pictures, all of which will eventually look pretty much the same, or you wind up with the wider pictures that read as 'wow, a whole bunch of guns'.

On the one hand, I think it's a good idea to try to capture the scale of it, and on the other hand I think more detail is a good idea.

I'm not sure how I'd approach it. Maybe a portfolio that starts out from a wide scale, filling the frame with masses of different firearms, and then a slow zoom in, a series that gradually zeros in on a single element of the collection, and finishes with some extreme closeups of detail. It's a concept, I guess.
 
I think that is where I would want to be in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse....just sayin'.
 
Is that a private collection? It looks museum quality...
It is private. It is at a family members home that I spend most holidays. I am not saying much more for security purposes, and because I use my real name on this site. The collection is mesmerizing in person, because of the way it is displayed. He travels far and wide for some of these firearms, especially the really rare ones.

I've been collecting firearms for 25 years and I must say that is one impressive collection! I love how their displayed, I was always afraid to display much more than a few on my walls. The rest stayed in the gun safe. Anyhow, thanks for sharing, and Thank you TPF for allowing firearm photographs to be posted.
 
Wow - someone in your family definitely has the "collector" gene. :) These are beautifully mounted and displayed - great job. I can see why you would want to share, though I agree it's not an easy subject to approach photographically.

As historical pieces, they are simply fascinating. From that perspective, I'd be interested, too!
 
That's a tough thing to photograph. You either wind up with a million individual gun pictures, all of which will eventually look pretty much the same, or you wind up with the wider pictures that read as 'wow, a whole bunch of guns'.

On the one hand, I think it's a good idea to try to capture the scale of it, and on the other hand I think more detail is a good idea.

I'm not sure how I'd approach it. Maybe a portfolio that starts out from a wide scale, filling the frame with masses of different firearms, and then a slow zoom in, a series that gradually zeros in on a single element of the collection, and finishes with some extreme closeups of detail. It's a concept, I guess.
I was thinking the same thing. Where in the world should I start. Asking him which ones are his favorites is a rather long conversation, and I won't make that mistake again. I really love the symmetry of the displays though.
 
I was thinking the same thing. Where in the world should I start. Asking him which ones are his favorites is a rather long conversation, and I won't make that mistake again. I really love the symmetry of the displays though.

Well, you're a girl, start with the prettiest ones. :sexywink:
 
I was thinking the same thing. Where in the world should I start. Asking him which ones are his favorites is a rather long conversation, and I won't make that mistake again. I really love the symmetry of the displays though.

Well, you're a girl, start with the prettiest ones. :sexywink:
I think the edged weapons are really cool to look at. I don't know about the prettiest.
$_MGL0194.webp
$_MGL0281.webp$_MGL0283.webp
 
That's a tough thing to photograph. You either wind up with a million individual gun pictures, all of which will eventually look pretty much the same, or you wind up with the wider pictures that read as 'wow, a whole bunch of guns'.

On the one hand, I think it's a good idea to try to capture the scale of it, and on the other hand I think more detail is a good idea.

I'm not sure how I'd approach it. Maybe a portfolio that starts out from a wide scale, filling the frame with masses of different firearms, and then a slow zoom in, a series that gradually zeros in on a single element of the collection, and finishes with some extreme closeups of detail. It's a concept, I guess.
I was thinking the same thing. Where in the world should I start. Asking him which ones are his favorites is a rather long conversation, and I won't make that mistake again. I really love the symmetry of the displays though.

As a collector, I like historic firearms with a story. So I would start with asking if any of his pieces was owned by a historical figure, famous Law Man, Outlaw, or used in a historical event. Example, my favorite piece is a 1816 Flintlock rifle dated 1827 that was once used by The Republic of Texas between 1836-1845. That rifle could have been at The Alamo or The Battle of a San Jacinto which lead to Texas becoming it's own Country. Another favorite theme of mine is firearms that was the first that offered ____. The first auto loader, first double action etc. These are always fun to see photos of.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom