A-Level Photography - In need of an SLR

_Becka_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm starting a Photography course in college in a few weeks time. We don't have to purchase a camera straight away but I thought it'd be best to get some ideas on what to get.

We need to have a 35mm SLR camera.
I'm not that familiar with different cameras and all their specs but I would like some ideas on good cameras for a good price. I'm not looking for anything over £200.

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Not sure of the going rate, but you should be able to find a Pentax K-1000, or Canon AE-1 kit complete within your price range...

_Becka_ said:
I'm starting a Photography course in college in a few weeks time. We don't have to purchase a camera straight away but I thought it'd be best to get some ideas on what to get.

I'm not that familiar with different cameras and all their specs but I would like some ideas on good cameras for a good price. I'm not looking for anything over £200.

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

i have an olympus om-101 manual focus / powerfocus with ttl metering and a 35-70mm and a 70-200mm im thinking of selling

Nikon N-55, N-65if you can still find it, Nikon N-75, Canon film Rebel

all have the versatility of being totally manual or totally automatic with several steps in between they also have pop-up flashes and are extermely light so they can be used as just general snapshot cameras.

Do what I did and go the cheap way out on the body, but get a really slick lens.

My first SLR was a completly manual Nikon FE. This thing is a brick i tell you. So what if it's manual focus, it will still make the same image as a Nikon F6. if you buy an old, cheap body like that, you'll be able to afford glass like the 35-70mm f/2.8.

I used that combination for about 2 years and i had no problem with it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
_Becka_ said:
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I looked at the Pentax cameras available and I saw this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-MZ-60-Quartz-Date-%2b-SMC-28-90mm-FA-Silver-Zoom/dp/B0000C4G2W/sr=8-11/qid=1156941685/ref=sr_1_11/026-5618615-1001238?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

I'm not too good with identifying specs, but it does say 35mm SLR, I'm just wanting to check that this camera is a film one aposed to a digital?
Thanks.

It is a 35mm SLR for 35mm film, but it seems quite expensive - this one is on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-MZ-60_...ryZ15240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

B&H sell them in the states new for about £99 with the lens, and that one is used.

Ebay is a good place for low priced good quality film cameras, especially as more and more people turn to digital, there are some real bargains to be had.

Cheapest way is to go for the manual cameras with manual lenses if you want the best wuality for your money, as someone said the Canon AE-1 or similar as FD lenses are a fraction of the price of EF lenses for the modern cameras.

Then there are other makes - like an older pentax, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus etc etc

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
_Becka_ said:

Some very good camera suggestions have been made to you in this thread. But before you choose, first make sure that the course instructors are not requiring (as they some times do) a manual-only camera. My daughter is taking a similar course in Miami Dade College and it requires a manual camera. My daughter chose the Pentax ZX-M, which is accepted by the course instructors as a manual camera when fitted with a manual only lens. Good luck with your course.

Usually when instructors say "manual camera" they mean manual exposure. With the exception of a few weird, entry level SLRs from the late 80's/early 90's almost all auto-focus, 35mm SLRs can go manual exposure, and manual focus.

The Pentax ZX-M is a manual focus camera, with program, Av, Tv, and manual exposure. If you put an auto-focus lens on it, it's still manual focus.

Yes, stick with either one becuase Nikon and Canon offer more lens variety.

Name one lens that Canon or Nikon makes that allows for a photograph that you'd be unable to make with a lens from a different manufacturer.

Canon and Nikon have more lenses because they push the philosophy that photography is about the gear, and upgrading constantly. This attitude is great for Canon and Nikon stockholders, but pretty much useless for actual photography.

Nikon has carried the same lens mount throughout the entire history of the company. With the exception of the Nokkormat which only has a metering issue any Nikon lens would be fully compatible with any Nikon camera. Things have changed a little with digital but still the same lens mount but you name me any company that has been as consistent as that about not having to upgrade not even Canon can say that. I included Canon in my original post because they also have the availability to get quality lenses and accessories anywhere.

Pentax has had the same lens mount for 40 years now. How does maintaining the same lens mount effect photo quality? My point is that any major player in the gear market has a line of lenses that will cover 99.9% of photographic situations encountered, and that almost all issues of image quality can be traced back to the equipment operator, rather than the equipment itself.

The idea that Canon and Nikon optics are somehow always better than Pentax, Minolta, Zeiss, Leitz, Schneider, Fuji, etc... optics is just ridiculous. Both Canon and Nikon have made their share of lemons, and the only way to judge a lens is on the performance of a particular model.

I use Canon and Nikon lenses and cameras, and mostly they are pretty good gear. I also use all the other brands I mentioned above (and many brands that most folks here have never heard of), and they are just as good.

Now I could be mistaken do pentax AF and digital SLR's take K-mount lenses? if so that's fine but I still stand by my original statement. This is all opinion for sure but can you really name me a brand (of 35mm or digital SLRs) that are used by professionals more consistently with the exception of the occasional Leica than Nikon or Canon. Now if you get into medium format all bets are off and I would agree with you but for the general public, considering availability of accessories, and consistent quality Nikon and Canon are the best choice.

Most reactions

Back