A-Level Photography - In need of an SLR

Pentax AF 35mm SLRs and DSLRs take K mount lenses, and there's even an adapter so they'll take the older M42 screwmount lenses. Canon and Nikon do dominate the market, and that's probably part of my negative attitude. ;) I tend to support the underdogs.

There may not be as many fancy, new fangled accessories, or super fast zooms available with a Pentax brand name, but what they do offer is every bit as good, sometime better, and almost always cheaper than similar gear by Canon and Nikon. There are more Canon lenses with plastic lens mounts than any other brand; they did that to save a nickel. Canon is also notorious for poor quality control; I've seen more Canon lenses that are lemons, and mysteriously malfunctioning Canon point-n-shoots than any other brand. The new Pentax DSLRs use the same sensor as the Nikon D50, and between the Nikon FM-10 and the Pentax ZX-M (simple, manual focus 35mm SLRs) there is no doubt in my mind that the ZX-M is the superior camera body (and it's cheaper). Canon and Nikon have never offered a medium format line, while Pentax medium format gear is still popular even with the digital revolution taking over.

When I say brand names don't matter it's because I truely believe that now. Looking back I wish I hadn't wasted so much time, energy, and money worrying about gear. It would have done significantly more to improve my photography to spend that money, energy, and time taking photographs with dirt cheap gear, than worrying about whether my gear was any good or not.

One of the older guys (older than me) that hangs out here said something interesting a few weeks back; it was something along the lines of "Photogs used to talk about light. Now all they talk about is gear." I think that's mainly because of Canon and Nikon's marketing campaigns. They tell newbie photogs that gear is what is most important, and I think that's an obstacle to good photography.

Most of the well known "masters of photography" were using cameras that were barely more than wood and leather boxes, with 2 and 3 element lenses; there were no aspheric lenses, no super-multi-coatings, no matrix metering, etc... They still took great photos. Ansel Adams writes in his book "The Camera"
In earlier years some lenses were definately superior to others... More recently, the computer has moved into the industry, and practically all lenses made within the last decade or two are excellent - often more precise than even the most exacting practical photographer requires.
I don't know when he wrote that, but he died in 1984.

Gear is fun; I own over 200 film cameras, and a half dozen digital cameras now, so I can't tell anyone not to buy stuff. I think it's important to remember that there is a difference between cameras and photography. The fact is that in some cases I can get a better image quality photo out of my $15 Ansco Titan 6x6 folder with an uncoated, no brand name, anastigmat lens than I can out of my $1000+ DSLR. In the end perfect image quality is often not even a consideration in the photo viewers' minds compared to the importance of content.

When I see/read people obsessing over gear it makes me wish someone would have told me to not worry that I wasn't using the latest, hippest cameras, and to just go out and shoot. I know, it's hard not to covet cooler gear. I really want a 5D, but I'm trying to put my money were my mouth is, and I'm going to just keep using my 20Ds (until the 5D goes "obsolete", and I can pick one up cheap!). The 5D won't make me a better photographer; spending that $3000 on a photographic vacation might though.

So use what you can afford, and don't let anyone tell you that your camera ain't cool. Long live Ricoh! ;)

ksmattfish said:
There are more Canon lenses with plastic lens mounts than any other brand; they did that to save a nickel. Canon is also notorious for poor quality control; I've seen more Canon lenses that are lemons, and mysteriously malfunctioning Canon point-n-shoots than any other brand. The new Pentax DSLRs use the same sensor as the Nikon D50, and between the Nikon FM-10 and the Pentax ZX-M (simple, manual focus 35mm SLRs) there is no doubt in my mind that the ZX-M is the superior camera body (and it's cheaper). Canon and Nikon have never offered a medium format line, while Pentax medium format gear is still popular even with the digital revolution taking over.

Indeed.... Working in camera sales part and full time for as many years as I have (over 10) I have seen Nikon join Canon's race to the bottom when it comes to consumer cameras in recent years. I can remember when the 8008 was the high consumer model of the time and it was every bit as good as the N90 with a few less bells and whistles and the 4004 was just as sturdy and half the price now you have cheap plastic junk for film cameras and, I think Nikon's crappiest line of lenses the G series (with thwe afformentioned plastic mounts) so I can agree with all that but with all that said... If anyone comes into me and wants to start into photography I will still always say "the big 2"

when I meant to go with canon or nikon for their lens selection, I meant that if you didn't have the cash, you wouldn't be bottlenecked into one lens, Nikon and Canon have many different lenses of similar focal length, at different prices, so they can cater to different audiences. I said nothing about Canon or Nikon having better quality. I agree, it's just rediculous to argue about that beucase lenses today are fantastic in comparison to those of long ago.

Becka;

Simple answer -- contact the course instructor and ask him/her which
cameras are acceptable. When all's said and done, any of the older 35mm SLR rigs [pre-auto focus] are pretty much the same in design and handling. If you purchase one from a reputable dealer, it will work and it will get you through the course.

If you get a K-1000 with a zoo lens from about 27ish to 135ish you will probably have a set-up to deal with 70% or more of the situations in photography and an even higher percentage of situations relative to you.

As Doc has been saying its how stuff is used that matters. When you see a great picture its not because the photographer used L glass.

As it was said before check e bay. I got my Pentax there for only $32 with shipping. Sure it didint come with the greatest lense and its older but it works wonders! and for $32 Im able to splurge and get a decent zoom lense

ksmattfish said:
Usually when instructors say "manual camera" they mean manual exposure. With the exception of a few weird, entry level SLRs from the late 80's/early 90's almost all auto-focus, 35mm SLRs can go manual exposure, and manual focus.

The Pentax ZX-M is a manual focus camera, with program, Av, Tv, and manual exposure. If you put an auto-focus lens on it, it's still manual focus.

That may be frequently the case. But in the particular case of the MDC course my daughter has enrolled in, the instructor specifically requested a manual focus 35mm camera (i.e., not an EOS ELAN 7n with a lens switched to MF). They even handed out a list of suggestions among Pentax and other brands. She chose the ZX-M, which I umderstand works better with a manual focus only lens. She now has a 50mm F1.7 (which you suggested, Ksmattfish, and with which she is very happy) and a 100mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back