A picture only the shooter can love?

$7437148240_f416fc4f04_b.jpg
6/24/2012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

328939_10150426805339878_500430545_o.jpg

This is Sam. Me and my photographer Aunt have matching gnomes that we take on all of our excursions. We take their photo in everyplace we bring them to track their journeys.

Mark

This is one of those shots that doesn't make anybody "oooh and ahhh". It's certainly not a "portfolio" shot and doesn't really have any artistic or commercial value. But I suppose I just enjoy the perspective and the juxtaposition of old and new...

$pinhole-at-kent-falls.jpg

I took one of my good friends out during a landscape shoot at Kent Falls in Western Connecticut. He only shoots with pinhole cameras and you can see him here setting up his homemade camera to get a shot of a large quartz boulder with the waterfall in the background. It was tough wrapping my head around the fact that his exposures are routinely measured in minutes rather than seconds or fractions of a second, but I'm very much intrigued by this old-school shooting method. The photographs it produces have a very unique feel.

Anyhow, I think there's something rather novel about using a modern D-SLR to capture a photograph of somebody taking a photograph with some of the most antiquated photographic technology out there.

This is one of those shots that doesn't make anybody "oooh and ahhh". It's certainly not a "portfolio" shot and doesn't really have any artistic or commercial value. But I suppose I just enjoy the perspective and the juxtaposition of old and new...

View attachment 12340

I took one of my good friends out during a landscape shoot at Kent Falls in Western Connecticut. He only shoots with pinhole cameras and you can see him here setting up his homemade camera to get a shot of a large quartz boulder with the waterfall in the background. It was tough wrapping my head around the fact that his exposures are routinely measured in minutes rather than seconds or fractions of a second, but I'm very much intrigued by this old-school shooting method. The photographs it produces have a very unique feel.

Anyhow, I think there's something rather novel about using a modern D-SLR to capture a photograph of somebody taking a photograph with some of the most antiquated photographic technology out there.

That's awesome that he routinely shoots pinhole. I have made roughly 4 pinhole cameras, different sizes and shapes. It's pretty cool and definitely gives you quite a bit of satisfaction when it comes out right. Very cool.

Mark

If the shot speaks to you that's what counts....I like the calmness in this shot.

View attachment 12333

Nothing about this picture is "right" & no one likes it.... except me :meh:

OH and ignore the big hideous watermark :sexywink:

I like it. It is a moment frozen in time. Both subjects appear to be surprised or at the least interrupted. Yes, technically it is not so great but treasured family snaps are precious.

View attachment 12333

Nothing about this picture is "right" & no one likes it.... except me :meh:

OH and ignore the big hideous watermark :sexywink:

I like it. It is a moment frozen in time. Both subjects appear to be surprised or at the least interrupted. Yes, technically it is not so great but treasured family snaps are precious.

Thank you! Yes thats exactly what it was. Maybe it's the fact that they are family, is what makes me like it so much. I love the innocence and the expressions. :)

Ken, here is the crop, it does make a big difference! It is definitely still "weird" but there is something about it....

Interesting! you're getting a Mishele-like blur while the center (well, that black cow in the center) is sharp and focused. And the blur makes the rest of the pic rather dreamy. So THAT's Michele's secret? She rides around in a car in her yard snapping pictures of her flowers? And now you're doing it too? I dunno, as a photographic technique it's a bit out there, but let's not argue with success, I guess... :lol:

Here's one of many.

l8vGq5

I have to say that after responding to everyone I'm very glad I made this thread! It has brought out some really neat stuff that definitely needed more luuuuuv :)

...the infamous gun photo. Both "shooters" love this one :)

I love this one. I like that colors are opposite of where they should be.
The "shooter" shot gives me the willies. I saw your upsidedown shot quite a while ago and it always sticks in my mind when I'm around water :) I'm still trying to find my own version of it though ;)

Neat shot Dorksterr!

DSC_0321 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

I always fancied this one, but it was the least well received of the set by the band that 'commissioned' them.
Great faces in the audience :)
This is Sam. Me and my photographer Aunt have matching gnomes that we take on all of our excursions. We take their photo in everyplace we bring them to track their journeys.

Mark
Love it! Totally random and neat :)
Here's another one no one liked, but that I really like. Very old shot.

Weird flower by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr
Love love love this!

View attachment 12340

Now that is way cool :) I'm very intrigued by pinholes also.
... should I post my entire catalog?
lol meh just link it ;) lol
If the shot speaks to you that's what counts....I like the calmness in this shot.
Thanks! I couldn't put my finger on it but I think calm oddly fits somehow. I was very caught up in the motion from the vehicle and was missing that quality.

I agree wholeheartedly that if the shot speaks to you that's what counts sometimes and all the rest (technical/composition/rules etc...) sometimes just becomes irrelevant.
First class abstracts they are ...congrats... i mean sorry ;)

No body is a complete success in this thread..... ;)
...and i can be an easy winner.... :lol:
You Sir sure know how to make a girl feel good :) <3
And pfffft... you forget I've creeped your Flickr many times ... you unfortunately would fail miserably in this thread :p
Interesting! you're getting a Mishele-like blur while the center (well, that black cow in the center) is sharp and focused. And the blur makes the rest of the pic rather dreamy. So THAT's Michele's secret? She rides around in a car in her yard snapping pictures of her flowers? And now you're doing it too? I dunno, as a photographic technique it's a bit out there, but let's not argue with success, I guess... :lol:

LOL! Thanks! I shoot from the car a lot and have been messing around with panning and "rotating" around the subject but you gotta be pretty quick picking a subject because they come at ya fast lol.

I wonder what speed Mishele prefers? lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back