A video I shot of how the Canon buttons work

:chatty:

lol - one of these days your gonna get tired of me talking about canon and shoot me when we go out shooting.
Well, I ALMOST joined the Nikon gang with the release of the D300s. Now that the 7D is out there's no way I would even consider it. If anything, I would grab a 7D. I'm going to hope and pray the 1DMk4 releases before the 7D hits the shelves so I can save me from myself. :) I want the 1DMk4 really-really bad.

Why do you need a MK4 it won't get a shot that you can't get with the MK3 or even a MK2 just have more crap you won't use. How many personal funtions do you use on the MK3 ?

im not getting involved in this since i actually like canon and nikon (even though i make fun of canon all the time;)) but for the record i can change my WB, and iso by using my right hand. yeah its true my camera might be upside down or on a table but i can do it :thumbup:

:chatty:

lol - one of these days your gonna get tired of me talking about canon and shoot me when we go out shooting.
Well, I ALMOST joined the Nikon gang with the release of the D300s. Now that the 7D is out there's no way I would even consider it. If anything, I would grab a 7D. I'm going to hope and pray the 1DMk4 releases before the 7D hits the shelves so I can save me from myself. :) I want the 1DMk4 really-really bad.

Why do you need a MK4 it won't get a shot that you can't get with the MK3 or even a MK2 just have more crap you won't use. How many personal funtions do you use on the MK3 ?

Rumor has it, it's going to have a .78 crop sensor. It's going to be called the seven eighths system. Also know as, Code Name: Awesomeness.

I've only had my D300s for a day or so and I love it far more than I had ever imagined. I had actually contemplated getting the 1D Mark III instead but I'm glad I went with the D300s.

The one thing I've found though that I don't like is that I can't change the ISO with command dial. Which I can do with my D90. I can change those settings on my D90 with one hand but it takes two hands with the D300s. I'm sure there is a way to customize it the way my D90 is but I have yet to find it.

Not meaning to piss on anyone's parade (or is tirade), and certainly not wanting to fan the flames more than they have been, b-b-b-but.....

CLICKY

:badangel:

Not meaning to piss on anyone's parade (or is tirade), and certainly not wanting to fan the flames more than they have been, b-b-b-but.....

CLICKY

:badangel:

....... I don't care how high they crank that ISO up I'm not changing
Unless... Nikon make a 100% Canon lens compatable mount or make an MPE65mm equivalent lens

Hi ISO wouldn't get me to switch either.

If Nikon did something crazy like massively increased the dynamic range on a FF body that didn't cost over $3k, I would consider it. But if all they pull out of their hat is super clean ISO 6400 or 12800, that's not enough for me as I don't shoot in that ISO range very often. At most I shoot at 3200 and I'm quite content with the results of my 5DMk2.

If they found a way to do crazy dynamic range where you never blew out the sky or something like that... that would get me really excited.

This got me thinking about the placement of buttons on my 450D. The only two buttons on the left are the menu and display buttons, which you'll only use when looking at the screen anyway. The rest, for someone like me with rather gaunt facial features and small, dexterous hands, are incredibly easy to reach. Heh.

This got me thinking about the placement of buttons on my 450D. The only two buttons on the left are the menu and display buttons, which you'll only use when looking at the screen anyway. The rest, for someone like me with rather gaunt facial features and small, dexterous hands, are incredibly easy to reach. Heh.

x2

....... I don't care how high they crank that ISO up I'm not changing
Unless... Nikon make a 100% Canon lens compatable mount or make an MPE65mm equivalent lens

So that you can take some crazy macro shot like this one?

Juza Nature Photography

Yep! :)
And if I ever get that good I'll be very happy!

You know, that website does illustrate a nice point: That a good photographer can use any darn camera they want to make a good image. The guy's shot with a 1Ds MkIII (OMG a pro!), a 20D (Wait, what do you mean a middle-range camera?), and a 350D (OH NOES, NOT ENTRY LEVEL, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!). And to top it all off, a Nikon D200. :lol:

OK, I'll just quickly change the AF area mode... um... oh. I guess I'll have to find the menu for that and lose my artistic train of thought.

The thing about Canon controls is that some are placed for access, some appear to be placed at random and none are placed for logic. Four round buttons in a row on the top-right screams of an engineer's design, not a photogapher's one. I can access these controls, but I think to actually think about what I'm accessing and forget about the artistic process for a moment. Ugh.

For example, what does metering have to do with white balance? Why is it on the same button? Same thing goes for for ISO and flash exposure compensation: what are they doing together? Yes, I understand they do affect eachother, but they do not have a direct and frequent relationship like, say, metering and AE-L. AF/Drive, I can understand, but I would bet that it's a successful mistake and not a deliberate design.

What is the power switch doing way the heck down there? And why has it been made in the most frustrating, awkward angle to use and given the tightest, most unnatural feeling tolerance?

The back wheel is OK, but the top wheel is painful to operate because it's too rigid and has too tight a tolerance to be operated right beneath the top joint of your index finger. That little control nub on the back always feels like it's going to cut my thumb open.

Now, let's take the D300 has the Nikon example, as most tend to agree that it's the standard for Nikon ergonomics. As I see it, these controls are designed in primary, secondary and tritary groups.

First, you have the power and backlight switch wrapped around the shutter button, where your index finger automatically places itself. Just behind that is the frequently-used mode and exposure compensation buttons. The control have just the perfect weight, tolerance, feel and placement. One under your thumb, one under your middle finger.

All of the AF stuff is right under your thumb: area mode, point selection, point lock, AF-L/AE-L (which is aligned so it intersects perfectly with the exposure controls and AF controls). The controls all have a distinct feel, so it's very easy to know what you're adjusting without looking at them. The lesser used AF-ON button is placed in a location where you won't naturally move your thumb, which is perfect so that it doesn't get in the way when are ignoring it most of the time.

QUAL/WB/ISO/DRIVE ... all secondary controls are placed off to the top left, where you'll think about them in a secondary way. And these controls have secondary functions themselves, in exactly the priority you think about them, using the front control wheel. Perfect.

The tritary controls (menus, viewing pictures) are all placed off the back left so that they are completely out of your way when you're shooting.

Don't get me wrong, this makes no difference to the pictures you make. But it may make a difference to the pictures you won't make because you spent the peak moments fiddling around with menus and illogical controls.

I agree with most of what you said. Remember though that it's subjective. Though you and I might agree that Canon's control placement is illogical and stupid, the Canon guys might not.

BTW, I use AF-ON constantly;)

That illustrates very clearly why Nikon was my choice of camera, in the end that's all it really boils down to, choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back